Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 03:29 AM

9,915 posts, read 9,650,237 times

Advertisements

This might be the scariest rent thread i have yet to read. Reminds me of the movie Pacific Heights. I never knew a guest could have some kind of legal rent rights in your home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 05:31 PM

15,952 posts, read 12,353,719 times
LOL.. if I had this happen I would literally take my 9MM pistol and put it to the "guest's" head in private and tell her whether she values her life or squatting more. People are much too accommodating to liars, cheaters, and scammers and not hardasses like I am though.... that's why they keep scamming, because they only get a slap on the wrist. I'm pretty sure said squatter would leave. Fortunately I would never get into this situation in the first place thus not risk prison time having to do such a thing to a scammer.

Why am I seeing 3 random pictures at the top of this thread?

Old 02-15-2017, 06:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,370 times
I have a friend who was in a relationship for over a year. He paid all the bills, rent, utilities, food everything. When they broke up the partner left but the very next day he went over to the house, while my friend was at work & called the police to tell them that this guy was going to throw him out. Well, he got his mail there so the cop told him don't worry you aren't going anywhere. They leave my friend stopped at the house & they got in an argument & his ex sucker punched him in the eye as he came around a corner. My friend was stupid & tackled him in the yard but regained his composure & went back to work. He goes to the police station to file a report, he has a heck of a black eye but they said the cops were at his house & he had to go back. Guess who got arrested on a 5 hr. hold? My friend which they later turned into a 24 hr. hold. My husband goes to pick him up from jail the next day & guess who is waiting for him to get out, his ex! Everything was fine, my friend went back to work & Tuesday the police call the office looking for him, they explain he's not in trouble but they have some paperwork for him. Its a restraining order his ex filed on Friday but the ex listed himself on it as "homeless". So, he had moved back in on Tuesday, while my friend was working & because he listed himself as homeless, to avoid paying bills from college & loans etc he had to leave. This morning my friend gets a call the police are at his house because the brother of his ex, who just got out of jail for drugs a few weeks ago and his girlfriend are at the house claiming they are living there because while the idiot was in jail, he sent a letter to his girlfriend at my friends address. My friends ex let her stay there while his brother was in jail. She has been gone for 3 weeks and do you know what the cops told him? That in order for him to get her out, he has to file an eviction to get her out & her boyfriend can stay also because he is her "guest". What is going on with our laws! You work hard, rent a home, try to help someone out & all they have to do is have 1 letter sent to them at your address & they have the right to stay there & allow as many of their friends to stay there also. ITS CRAZY! Told my friend get rid of his mailbox & get a P.O. Box if he ever gets his house back from these bottom feeders. They know the law better than the cops do! Springfield MO just rolls over & lets them have their way UNLESS the homeless are on their streets or try to have a camp then they get rid of them in less than 24 hrs! Before the agencies can help find them a place to stay. Forgot the weirdest part - my friend mother owns the house, she bought it for him to rent last year! She's an attorney & can't do anything either!

Last edited by Louise Bradshaw; 02-15-2017 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 03-15-2017, 01:29 PM

3 posts, read 2,206 times
I let my niece stay as a guest in my house. Agreement to get s job use her monthly check to get a place she came here with a mouth full of lies now she won't leave oh it's 3 mos later the cops said she didn't have to leave I'm at my wits end she is an embarrassment s thief and a poor excuse of s parent it's her handicapped sons check she spends how can I get her out yesterday it's my bosses house and she is just sucking the life out of me she did this yrs ago with my sister

Old 03-15-2017, 01:47 PM

13,151 posts, read 21,150,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebbz View Post
I let my niece stay as a guest in my house. Agreement to get s job use her monthly check to get a place she came here with a mouth full of lies now she won't leave oh it's 3 mos later the cops said she didn't have to leave I'm at my wits end she is an embarrassment s thief and a poor excuse of s parent it's her handicapped sons check she spends how can I get her out yesterday it's my bosses house and she is just sucking the life out of me she did this yrs ago with my sister
She is a legal occupant and has rights like any tenant. Your mistake was not taking action the first day you decide she had to go. Your failure to act according to the right the law gives you is why she is still there. I also assume you have no written agreement at all with her. You need to serve her with a termination of tenancy notice per your state laws. This can be anywhere from 7 days to 30 days depending on your state. If she is not out, file for an eviction and have her legally evicted. That's all it takes. Bet had you followed the rules from the start, she would already have been out.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:42 PM

531 posts, read 1,432,460 times
Wow. This thread is disturbing, sad, entertaining, informative, and eye opening all at the same time.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:20 PM

35 posts, read 28,208 times
You can't be evicted out of your own home, even if you violated the lease. 1. Should've given her a 30 day notice to move, in writing and all spelled out. Not just a text. 2. When the 30 days was up, should've filed for eviction with the court. 3. When that was done and still not out, file for the sheriff to move her belongings, with the court. At this point, you can change the locks.

Old 08-19-2017, 11:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,072 times
i am a new home buyer and the property i boughthas an occupant that broke in after the previous tensnt movrd out.so why should i have to spend my money and wait 30 more daus to move into my home bc the cops say i have to evict him!

Old 08-20-2017, 04:46 AM

23,177 posts, read 26,293,781 times
You shouldn't have to...but you do.

Old 08-20-2017, 06:28 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,119,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tat2dave View Post
i am a new home buyer and the property i boughthas an occupant that broke in after the previous tensnt movrd out.so why should i have to spend my money and wait 30 more daus to move into my home bc the cops say i have to evict him!

Why? Because you now own the house and the only to get rid of him is to evict him. Head to the courthouse as soon as you can and get the ball rolling. Not sure what you're waiting for!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting