Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 08:11 AM

912 posts, read 5,259,712 times

Advertisements

After 12 days of being a guest, a person can claim squatters rights to your HOME in california?? In the United States???

Jeeebus... what a godforsaken place that state is becoming.

Either way, that person deserves a beating. Not a beating in court, but a beating via baseball bat or shovel. Talk about giving somebody a hand, only for them to grab your elbow and spit in your eye.

Whatever you do, I sure hope you put her on the curb asap. Alongside the rest of the garbage that you throw out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 05:17 PM

295 posts, read 1,179,012 times
This so has the makings of the movie Pacific Heights - check it out - it is based in California and is about a renter gone bad.

I hope that you are able to get this squatter out of there with little issues.

You have more patience than I do - I would have thrown their stuff in the dumpster and changed the locks and let them go to the police about it. If she can spin stories - so can I!

Old 04-03-2012, 05:31 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,677,380 times
Lots and lots of drama, and its on all sides.

1. The day you accepted payment in exchange for a place for that person to live, you became a landlord. You may not think you did, you may not wish you did, But you did!

2. You do not have a squatter so knock off that nonsense. You have a tenant who has not paid rent per the terms of the agreement. They are not squatting, they are possesing. If you are goimng to be a landlord, you better learn real wucik what the laws are.

3. Fire the idiot who told you to change the locks. An illgeal lock-out can cost you big money even if the tennat isn;t paying rent.

4. What issues you have with your landlords over your lease with them means squat to the tenat yuor dealing with. **** none of their business what screwup you made and what can happen to you. Thats between the landlord and you. If you let your tenant know aboutt hat, well why not just give them your ATM number as well.

As it stands, you can not do anything until a legal eviction of the tenat has occured AND you can opnly do what the law lets you do, not what you think you can do. Hopefully they are out by Wednesday, but if not, consider mitigating your losses and offer them some cash to save your lease with your landlord. Welcome to the world of landlords & tenants.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:34 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
your wife is a sweet and kind woman she is learning some great lessons.
its not your house its an apt yes?
move out leave and leave your "friend" there.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:40 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,613,521 times
I was a landlord with rent houses for a number of years. There was a time when I would have taken the front door off it's hinges and put in my truck, then thrown some boxes inside and left. These days I guess you have to be kinda careful, esp. in California where the liberals that make the laws will assume all rights belong to the squatter and not the LL. Good luck.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:52 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,677,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
These days I guess you have to be kinda careful, esp. in California where the liberals that make the laws will assume all rights belong to the squatter and not the LL. Good luck.
The laws are to protect the tenants from the landlords who took illegal action against tenants in violation of the laws. The law does not let a tenat stay if they are not paying rent, but many a landlords have tried throwing out good honest paying tenants and its those actions that cause the laws to be written. You have a problem with the laws, go after those stupid landlords who caused the problems to begin with.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:12 PM

6 posts, read 263,990 times
This morning all of her things were gone. She may have forgotten a binder but this is a good sign. Legally she has until the 30th to return but if she's back sleeping on our couch on thursday, it's not good at all for my wife and I. I feel like a weigh has been lifted.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:54 AM

113 posts, read 895,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKsilver View Post
This morning all of her things were gone. She may have forgotten a binder but this is a good sign. Legally she has until the 30th to return but if she's back sleeping on our couch on thursday, it's not good at all for my wife and I. I feel like a weigh has been lifted.
I really hope that is the case. It seems too common now, that a genuinely nice person will do something caring for their "friend", and then you see that "friend" for the nasty, spiteful, sociopath that they are. You can find many stories online of a good friend ruining their life. It's disgusting.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:25 AM

113 posts, read 895,125 times
Do keep us updated.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:18 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,209,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
The laws are to protect the tenants from the landlords who took illegal action against tenants in violation of the laws. The law does not let a tenat stay if they are not paying rent, but many a landlords have tried throwing out good honest paying tenants and its those actions that cause the laws to be written. You have a problem with the laws, go after those stupid landlords who caused the problems to begin with.
Can you video the room she vacated, w/ the date showing. And then document that she has totally removed all her things. I'm wondering if that way, you can show your landlord she is gone, and if she comes back in (thought your locks were changed?) Then she would have to defend why if she had moved out.....to whomever, police, judge...your landlord. If you have the three day notice, and today is the third day, make sure that is on the video too. If it were me, I would have all that in hand if she tries to come back and I had to call the police. when does squatting become breaking and entering....What a ridiculous law allowing people to be put through this nightmare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting