Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 04:58 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,055,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
I dont' understand all the suggestions to remodel the apartment in order to sound proof it. I would suggest having your children 'tone it down' until your lease expires and then move to a less sensitive rental. And basically complaints can be filed all the time but the LL or prop manager usually has to hear it for themselves before they can actually or legally evict over it. So just talk to your kids and all will be well.
Koale

What is there is no need to "tone it down"? This is their HOME..not a library.

We lived in an apartment one time that we could literally hear the man above each and every time he peed...should I have gone upstairs and ask him to tone is pee down? I could hear their phone everytime it rang. Should they've turned that down as well? What about vaccuming? Should they put not be allowed to vaccum their home?

So the solution? We moved. Not a big deal. The ll let us break our lease without penalty and we got our deposit back as well. All this noise WAS a violation of the lease, which is why we were able to break it. The ll agreed that the building itself was the issue..not the tenant. Basically, it violated our right to peaceful living.

My point is this...some places are woodframe buildings and you will hear common everyday living noises. Is there anything you do can about it? NO!! You can't tell someone when to bathe, when to wash their clothes or when to vaccum.

I dare ANYONE to come to my door and tell me that my vaccuming, my showering, and my generally everyday living is bothering them.

If they are screaming and yelling and booming bass...then yes, the ll would and should get involved to stop the nonesense. Other than that...your'e stuck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 10:38 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,415,298 times
Cool Excuse me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
What is there is no need to "tone it down"? This is their HOME..not a library.

We lived in an apartment one time that we could literally hear the man above each and every time he peed...should I have gone upstairs and ask him to tone is pee down? I could hear their phone everytime it rang. Should they've turned that down as well? What about vaccuming? Should they put not be allowed to vaccum their home?

So the solution? We moved. Not a big deal. The ll let us break our lease without penalty and we got our deposit back as well. All this noise WAS a violation of the lease, which is why we were able to break it. The ll agreed that the building itself was the issue..not the tenant. Basically, it violated our right to peaceful living.

My point is this...some places are woodframe buildings and you will hear common everyday living noises. Is there anything you do can about it? NO!! You can't tell someone when to bathe, when to wash their clothes or when to vaccum.

I dare ANYONE to come to my door and tell me that my vaccuming, my showering, and my generally everyday living is bothering them.

If they are screaming and yelling and booming bass...then yes, the ll would and should get involved to stop the nonesense. Other than that...your'e stuck.
Geez...you need to relax. This is a rental...other 'rules of consideration' apply to everyone. If they owned a home they would still have to show consideration for their neighbors, wouldn't they? Of course they would. Children are noisy, fact of life. Some are noisier than others, another fact of life. I didn't mention taping their mouths shut...I suggested 'sitting back and listening'...what might be normal for a parent probably is not normal for a young unencumbered couple.
Koale

Old 04-20-2011, 04:15 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,055,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Geez...you need to relax. This is a rental...other 'rules of consideration' apply to everyone. If they owned a home they would still have to show consideration for their neighbors, wouldn't they? Of course they would. Children are noisy, fact of life. Some are noisier than others, another fact of life. I didn't mention taping their mouths shut...I suggested 'sitting back and listening'...what might be normal for a parent probably is not normal for a young unencumbered couple.
Koale

I'm quite relaxed, thanks for your concern.

It doesn't matter if they rent or own their home, (single family home, townhouse, condo, apartment, whatever) The fact of the matter is you can't control everyday living noises...ppl ( including children) have right to live in their home.

Consideration for others? Yes, in the form of not screaming and yelling at the top of your lungs, not having loud parties every weekend, not blasting your bass and being a pain in the arse. But to tell someone they can't vaccum at 7am because you can hear it thru your bedroom window or the walls? I dont' think so. Telling someone they can't walk past a certain hour because you work a different shift? Not gonna fly.

It's to me that some ppl just have too much time on their hands and like to ***** about every little thing in this world.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:25 PM

57 posts, read 362,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
It's to me that some ppl just have too much time on their hands and like to ***** about every little thing in this world.
Funny, its usually the ones that are home all day or on BMR that are the ones making all the noise that other people who DON'T have time because of work have to suffer from.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 997 times
I have the same problem in the twin house that we own. Our neighbors are retired and their twenty something daughter lives with them. They are always complaining about the noise. I have three children. Two with ADHD and the little one screams alot. After 14 years of living here, I am beginning to become annoyed. We are not in a position to move (we would love to though). I am really beginning to resent my neighbors

Old 06-21-2013, 10:24 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,679,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanpa00 View Post
I have the same problem in the twin house that we own. Our neighbors are retired and their twenty something daughter lives with them. They are always complaining about the noise. I have three children. Two with ADHD and the little one screams alot. After 14 years of living here, I am beginning to become annoyed. We are not in a position to move (we would love to though). I am really beginning to resent my neighbors
Your kid should not be screaming a lot.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:27 AM

584 posts, read 1,938,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Your kid should not be screaming a lot.
your a ass who dose not know about learning disabilities. any how kids make noise so what i.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:53 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,679,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendleton42 View Post
your a ass who dose not know about learning disabilities. any how kids make noise so what i.
So control your kids or buy a house where other people don't have to deal with hearing your screaming kids.

The world does not revolve around your kids, and your neighbors have the right to quiet enjoyment of their rental.

I wasn't allowed to run around screaming when I was a kid, I can tell you that much. I think it's funny that the poster is the one "becoming annoyed" when it's their kids that are annoying their neighbors by making so much noise.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:25 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,271,437 times
Quote:
So control your kids or buy a house where other people don't have to deal with hearing your screaming kids.

The world does not revolve around your kids, and your neighbors have the right to quiet enjoyment of their rental.

I wasn't allowed to run around screaming when I was a kid, I can tell you that much. I think it's funny that the poster is the one "becoming annoyed" when it's their kids that are annoying their neighbors by making so much noise.

Who said that the children are ALLOWED to run around screaming?

If retired folks don't like having the possibility of little kids living next door to them and having to relive their child rearing days all over again through the walls...there are plenty of 55 and older communities they could buy in to that do NOT allow children under a certain age to do anything other than visit.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:25 PM

584 posts, read 1,938,067 times
Quote:

if you have a problem with normal noise from a child during day time hours too bad . or no matter what time of day a baby crying sorry suck it up buttercup
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting