Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 09:55 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,825,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
Im probably on the far left as a Christian here....I love Rock of all kinds, I can relate to Christian rock, for example POD, Skillet, switchfoot, Kutless. I dont like 100 year old hymns, they bore me. I love worship music, with loud guitar, drums, bass. So as long as the message is Christ centered, it doesnt bother me at all. I love it!! Sometimes tradition drives people away that might have stayed.

Okay, the second part, I see anyway that gets someone to hear the message of Christ is a good thing. 100 ft banana split, pizza party--Im speaking of teens here--hayrides, you name it,,,, this may be the only chance they get to hear about Jesus, whether they accept him or not, you may have planted a seed there that someone else will water.
Very well said!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 10:28 AM

2,180 posts, read 5,426,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Well then I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree However, the truth is simply there: young people nowadays don't go to Church because they can't relate to it.
That's okay, we can disagree about this.

The point I stand by is that we're supposed to be separated from the world and its influences. Perhaps I should amend my position, I don't know, because I should note that it's not so much the style of music that I'm opposed to, although I don't understand the fascination with Christian rock. I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't say that I listen to some pop and rock outside of church. But if we don't go to church simply because we don't feel we relate to it because it's not "hip" and modern, or because it doesn't play rock music, then our motivations for even considering it are misguided to start with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
As far as "secular" goes, gospel music might have once been considered "secular" by the Roman Catholic Church, where only hymns are sung.
What I'm opposed to is when you walk into a church and hear music by a secular rock group (whose leader has been known to use the "F" word in public). That's where I draw the line. We aren't supposed to incorporate the secular with the sacred.

I want to go to church to get away from the world - not be immersed in its culture. In church, the youth of today need to learn to give up those things which connect them to the world, not expect to have their desires placated by today's churches.

Old 06-09-2007, 10:36 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,753,887 times
I agree with drawing the line on secular rock, secular music alltogether in church. But to say I dont go to a particular church because the musice worship service is boring is not misguided, if thats what you meant..if not sorry I misunderstood. I personally know a teacher at church that thinks all the youth need to wear ties to church every sunday. I think that idea is outdated, but thats me. I worked with inner city kids who had never been to church before or had little to do with church. For someone that doesnt "connect" with the music, they dont pay attention to the words or get involved with the worship. Just my thoughts from being there.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:44 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,064,988 times

YouTube - Simpsons the catholic church

Old 06-09-2007, 12:04 PM

954 posts, read 814,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I think this is a generational thing. My Mother has played the organ at church services for many years and she doesn't feel that certain kinds of modern music belong in a church but young people don't tend to feel that way. Some of the black churches have some really good music and vocals that are kind of an upbeat mix of soul, r&b and traditional. I do think rap would be out of place in a church though. You gotta draw the line somewhere.
I actually had a 'jam' with a gospel church band in Memphis once. Man! Those guys had rhythm!! Almost converted me....almost!!

Old 06-09-2007, 01:00 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,540,934 times
Next thing ya know, we'll see preachers on TV!!!!!!!

Old 06-09-2007, 02:34 PM

259 posts, read 1,182,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
This idea of "getting them in" is misdirected. We don't get anyone in God does. Your local sinner will not come to a Church on his or her own--unless God is in it. They might come if you invite them then what? Will they run to the altar and confess Christ? No, not likely unless God is in it. To attempt to "attract" with worldly incitements is going to backfire.
But what is "wordly" and thus not suitable for Christians to partake/use? The entire creation is God's. Music is a gift, art is a gift. The real question is "does it glorify Him or does it not?".
I, like Francis Shaeffer and many others, do not believe in a secular vs. christian distiction. But rather ask the question "does it glorify and reflect God or not?" You can't take Jesus' name and plunk it on a shirt, backpack, or even music thus making it holy or "christian" any more than you can condemn something as worldly or secular because its not blatantly "Christian". My mother never understood how rock music could possibly be "Christian" because to her it was guilty by association. The connotations she attached to it prevented her from seeing it as remotely on the same plane of existence as her precious Sandi Patty, lol!
But with that said, if what brings people to a church appeals to their flesh rather than soul, then its rather pointless.

p.s. not criticizing your post, merely using it as a springboard to make a point. thanks

Old 06-09-2007, 04:52 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,643,187 times
SmerkyGrl actually makes some pretty good points. I remember when I was young and I started growing my hair long. People were very hostile about that in many places and I was questioned several times in my home town by the police for just walking down the street. It was very intimidating and they meant it to be. I can understand how a young person can be alienated from society just because of their music and lifestyle so it really doesn't make any sense to make them feel like they don't belong in a church (not that I would try to encourage anyone to go to church). arguy1973 also makes alot of sense on this issue. Wow, this is scary, religious people are making sense to me.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:36 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,753,887 times
Quote:
SmerkyGrl actually makes some pretty good points. I remember when I was young and I started growing my hair long. People were very hostile about that in many places and I was questioned several times in my home town by the police for just walking down the street. It was very intimidating and they meant it to be. I can understand how a young person can be alienated from society just because of their music and lifestyle so it really doesn't make any sense to make them feel like they don't belong in a church (not that I would try to encourage anyone to go to church). arguy1973 also makes alot of sense on this issue. Wow, this is scary, religious people are making sense to me.
we do everyonce in awhile montana-lol

Old 06-09-2007, 05:57 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,739,875 times
Quote:
Wow, this is scary, religious people are making sense to me.
I'm agnostic :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality