Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 02:51 PM

954 posts, read 814,228 times

Advertisements

Ok fight fans! Let's look at the old 'god and the rock' problem. It's an old one...but I'm bored!

Q. Can an omnipotent god make a rock that is too heavy for him to lift?

Lets assume that god can create a stone too heavy for him to lift.
If there exists a stone too heavy for god to lift, then god is not omnipotent.

Now let's assume that god can't create a stone too heavy for him to lift. Then there is something god cannot do: create such a stone.

So, God is not omnipotent.

......and when you've sorted that one out.......Can god draw a square circle??

I say he can't. He can't do what is logically impossible, therefore he can't do everything.......therefore he is not omnipotent.

I'll peel a few oranges whilst I'm waiting....but don't be too long. I really am bored!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 03:23 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,118,923 times
The question is: why would He waste His time on such a quest? Besides, if you don't believe that God exists, then you don't believe He is omnipotent anyway, so none of this makes any sense. Enjoy your oranges!!!!

Old 06-16-2007, 03:29 PM

[quote=urbanlemur;897207]
Quote:
The question is: why would He waste His time on such a quest? Besides, if you don't believe that God exists, then you don't believe He is omnipotent anyway, so none of this makes any sense.
That's a rather long, drawn out way of saying 'I have no answer'!

Quote:
Enjoy your oranges!!!!
Thanks!

Old 06-16-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
That's a rather long, drawn out way of saying 'I have no answer'!
I know....my kids complain that I talk to much when I discuss things with them yet others say I don't talk enough!! Go figure!!

Old 06-16-2007, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
I know....my kids complain that I talk to much when I discuss things with them yet others say I don't talk enough!! Go figure!!
Tut! Tut! Want an orange?

Old 06-16-2007, 04:19 PM

238 posts, read 624,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post
I really am bored!!

Self-contradictory scenarios are boring.

Old 06-16-2007, 04:31 PM

Sure, why not!!

Old 06-16-2007, 04:33 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,822,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post
Ok fight fans! Let's look at the old 'god and the rock' problem. It's an old one...but I'm bored!

Q. Can an omnipotent god make a rock that is too heavy for him to lift?

Lets assume that god can create a stone too heavy for him to lift.
If there exists a stone too heavy for god to lift, then god is not omnipotent.

Now let's assume that god can't create a stone too heavy for him to lift. Then there is something god cannot do: create such a stone.

So, God is not omnipotent.

......and when you've sorted that one out.......Can god draw a square circle??

I say he can't. He can't do what is logically impossible, therefore he can't do everything.......therefore he is not omnipotent.

I'll peel a few oranges whilst I'm waiting....but don't be too long. I really am bored!!
Plad I have no answer other than God can do what He wants...which I know to you isn't really and answer at all.

But I have to say that I am glad when you are bored you choose to think up mind bending questions instead of going out and becoming a serial killer or something...LOL

Old 06-16-2007, 04:34 PM

69 posts, read 253,035 times
The Bible says there is one thing God can not do, God can't lie. Thats it period...

Old 06-16-2007, 05:53 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,424,998 times
Plad, you're missing something here. God COULD create a rock that was so heavy He couldn't lift it. However, it would be infinitely large, and He would be creating it nonstop for all eternity.

As for your other question about a square circle.....it's a contradiction. Everything has a set definition regarding its existence. A square is a shape consisting of four equal straight sides and four 90-degree angles. A circle is a curved line which has no beginning or end because all points on the line are the same distance from a fixed point called the center.

God can't contradict Himself, or He would be a liar. He can't do something that would be inconsistent with His own principles and character.

Don't choke on your oranges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality