Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 04:17 PM

554 posts, read 2,500,813 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to get a better relationship with God, but I'm not sure if I believe in Him totally or not.

Sometimes I do, but other times I'm not so sure. I'm not saying I don't believe in Him AT ALL.. I mean I pray to him, and read my spiritual books, but sometimes it's just hard for me to believe

So, how do you know if you believe in God or not?

And for the Non-God Believers: What makes you believe in science, or whatever you believe in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 04:33 PM

23,012 posts, read 34,372,809 times
Psalm 46:10 "Be still and know that I am God" I know there is a God because I have a relationship with Him, He speaks to my heart. I feel His presence with me every day. You say you want a better relationship with Him, but then you say you're not sure if He is real so that makes me wonder if you have any relationship with Him at all. What we hear is affected not only by our relationship with Him but our understanding of who He is. Do you listen as an intimate friend or a distant friend? The best way to know Him is to read His Word, that is one way He speaks to us. Spiritual books are good, but no other book will teach what He is like or help to know Him better than the Bible, His word.

Old 05-23-2007, 04:39 PM

646 posts, read 1,610,420 times
I believe in many things. Not god certainly, and I am not sure that belief is the appropriate word for science.

Science works. There is proof for it. Look at medicine, or computers, chemistry, etc. The scientific method is a means by which we can find out about the world, apply those discoveries, and invent stuff. Therefore I can see that science works. After all, we are not sitting in caves anymore.

God has no such track record, even though he is allegedly so much more powerful than anything else. Therefore, it is simply impossible to believe in god.

Old 05-23-2007, 05:15 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,790,619 times
Thumbs up It takes perseverance

You have a basic feeling that God is real. Go with that. Instead of cluttering your mind with all that man has to offer as far as religions and answers, seek out God. Read, read, read. The Bible, Christian literature, books written by Biblical scholars, pastors, evangelists, and participate in some sort of Bible study - on-line, in person, whatever. You have to seek Him to find Him.

Once you do, you won't have to ask anyone about how to tell if God is real. You will have your own personal relationship with The Father, The Son and the Holy Spirit. Every day you will battle the seeds of doubt from every direction....it's getting really tough out here. But if you stand firm and tall in Christ your reward is eternal salvation.

Old 05-23-2007, 05:46 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,619,641 times
CHICAGOLAND92 wrote:
Quote:
Interesting question. I guess I was kind of borderline and just wondering what I really believed when I was really young, probably early teens. I can't say I ever did believe but I did reach a point when I knew that I didn't believe and that was about the age of 18. I mentioned on another post that I think people tend to hold strong beliefs for their lifetime. I know that's the case for me because I'm much older now and I feel stronger than ever that I'm an atheist. I'm curious if you're a young person (of course you don't need to reply with your age) because those are the years when most of us are trying to sort things out and get a sense of identity. I think it's likely that you'll start to feel like you belong on one side or the other of this issue at some point and then it won't be something that makes you feel conflicted.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:50 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,156,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
I'm trying to get a better relationship with God, but I'm not sure if I believe in Him totally or not.

Sometimes I do, but other times I'm not so sure. I'm not saying I don't believe in Him AT ALL.. I mean I pray to him, and read my spiritual books, but sometimes it's just hard for me to believe

And for the Non-God Believers: What makes you believe in science, or whatever you believe in?
Do you feel at peace with yourself?

Do you need to see to believe?

Every one will have a different definition on this one. To believe you have to agree that a superior power that cannot be defined is around us at all time and wants us to be the brother or sister to each other. Is giving to others that have nothing is charing your food, your home and helping others. Is feeling peace within and ask for nothing in return. Look at life in a positive way.... Is living 24 hours a day in faith and respecting all....

If you want to see God, look at the mirror....believe.....

Old 05-23-2007, 06:53 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,791,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post

When I accepted Jesus as my personal savior, I didn't get "the feeling", you know? People say the moment they became born-again they felt something, electricity or something. I'm not saying they didn't, but I didn't. First I thought I didn't do it right. I had doubts too. I thought maybe God wasn't there or it didn't take. Oh, but it did.

Something did change. I started to realize a tug or nudge within myself to learn more. And I have to agree with the other posters here, read your Bible. Pray for insight and understanding before you begin. Read with a purpose in mind. Take notes, use reference material. Study. Take time each day to pray, one-on-one with Him. It's okay to be unsure. It's okay to ask for guidance and understanding. And if there are specific questions you need answers to that are causing a stumbling block, ask them to other believers. If they don't know or have an insufficient answer, keep asking until it's answered to your satisfaction. Even ask God for the answer and I'm sure He'll point you in the right direction. He will do a work within you and you'll know... you'll feel the difference.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:12 PM

253 posts, read 640,615 times
There's an old Mormon Hymn called "The Spirit of God" where the first line reads "The Spirit of God like a fire is burning!" which I think sums it up really well. You will feel it in your chest, a burning that takes over your entire soul, it makes you want to do good and to spread the love of Christ. Unfortunately, it is generally not a permanent feeling, you feel it sometimes, and you don't feel it other times. The key is to keep praying and studying your scriptures even when you don't feel that, even in the times when you doubt that there is a God, those in fact are the times when you should study harder. I feel it most often when I gain a deeper understanding of a concept I thought I already knew all about, when you peel into another layer of a common verse. Then, when the fire returns, the best thing to do is to thank God for it and continue reading in a peaceful place.

Sorry, that's all I have to offer, I hope that helps.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:28 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,666,149 times
Jesus is so full of Grace. And when we open our heart to him--more importantly--we surrender to Him, we feel His presence via the Holy Spirit or Holy Ghost.

How does one surrender his will and soul you ask? I know I asked that most of my early adult life.

You've got to admit that you are not in control and don't always know what is best for you. You have got to admit your limitations.

When we realize that God can handle our lives so much better than we can and then act upon that realization by humbling ourselves at the foot of the Cross, laid bare for Him to see us at our most vulnerable and admit our sins and invite Him into our soul, heart and mind, He blesses us with His presence.

For me, I felt more peaceful than I had ever felt in my entire life. I felt safe and secure, and content to just rest in His Love, and let him have all my problems. Now, I got saved when I was 14, and felt the Holy Ghost tugging me down that isle the night I was saved. I didn't feel this total peace until I was 36 years old!

This is the only way I know how to explain it. hope I didn't confuse you more.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:05 PM

23,012 posts, read 34,372,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
For me, I felt more peaceful than I had ever felt in my entire life. I felt safe and secure, and content to just rest in His Love, and let him have all my problems. Now, I got saved when I was 14, and felt the Holy Ghost tugging me down that isle the night I was saved. I didn't feel this total peace until I was 36 years old!
I know what you're saying. I was saved at 9 but it wasn't until I was 38 that I felt the peace and love and security you're talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality