Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 06:08 AM

2,074 posts, read 2,168,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Nope! Faith is a way of lying to yourself when the evidence tell you something other than what you want to be true. Faith is the last refuge of those that have had their arguments defeated by reason and logic. In reality, faith is nothing more than refusing to recognize logic and evidence when it tells you something you'd rather not believe. Faith is simply the practice of ignoring the supportable in favour of a desired belief. Faith, is used to fill a void. That void being the absence of logic, reason, evidence and common sense.
What you're missing by your logic, reason, evidence and common sense is the spiritual component that brings about this thing called faith. We can think we have faith and that's all well and good, but without an actual spiritual/physical experience, then it is merely a word found in Webster's.

When I say spiritual/physical experience, this is exactly what transpires when the Love of God enters our soul. But wait a minute, without knowing we even have a soul... then how is anyone even going to comprehend that there is such a thing? Without curiosity to investigate it's existence as an essential part of our very creation, then we are left to wander in the dark and assume that it must be some sort of fairy-tale or, maybe we brand those who claim to know the truth of such a thing, as an ignoramous or fool who doesn't know diddley squat.

But in this branding then, do we purposefully limit our understanding of all things, both material and spiritual, just to appease our intellectual natures to the tune of I'm right and you're wrong? This limitation then develops a barrier, or block, in our mind and thinking... and until this barrier is removed... we will be guided by the fallible nature of such mind and thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 06:45 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,883,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
One thing that DOES have lots of evidence...it's fully logically indicated...stands to reason...and is fully discernible through common sense---Is there are very few Obsessive Compulsive Disorders in the whole world that are more severe than the OCD that afflicts TAC (The Atheist Crew) on C-D...and manifests in their incessant bashing of "faith", and the 90% of the people on Earth that possess it.
In other words...you don't have a decent rebuttal.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:49 AM

688 posts, read 1,492,650 times
Quote:
I don't need one, Mr Double grins.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:52 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,883,612 times
It wasn't directed at you, Mr Jump The Gun.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:10 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,618,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastcountryboy View Post
If you're talking about a supreme being - yes. But having faith that something will happen doesn't mean it has to be greater than yourself
Having faith that what will happen? That the chair you're about to be seated in, won't kick out from under you?

Every time a person goes to plop down in a chair to sit, they have an unconscious amount of faith that chair will hold 'em. How many times have you landed flat on your tush? I've picked myself up a couple of times.

Then I pick myself up and I dust myself off, determined to give life another try.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:56 PM

4,066 posts, read 2,279,514 times
Default The Movie "Contact"

Why does this thread remind me of the movie "Contact". Jodie Foster's character needed proof, proof and more proof that God existed. Yet, when she went through her experience and came back no one believed her because she didn't have proof.

I feel lucky not to be a "prove to me you exist" person though I can understand where they are coming from. For me, God mostly talks and guides me through dreams. I've had too many incredible dreams to doubt God. Though I tend to hear him the most when I'm at a breaking point in my life and really need him. It's usually when I haven't been listening to him that I get a wake up call.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:06 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,670,106 times
Quote:
You already know my position...and it is my standing blanket rebuttal.

But, rebut what?! The usual pathetic spew of bias, intolerance, and cluelessness?

We're supposed to accept your contention that 90% of the people in the world...lie to themself...refuse to recognize logic and evidence...practice ignorance of the supportable...are absent of logic... are absent of reason...are absent of evidence...and are absent of common sense?! HaHaHaHa! And you're sooooooo smart, right? LOL!

But yer slippin' Raf...you forgot, "delusional", and a whole bunch of other insults. You better brush up on TACs "Believer Bashing Protocol"---You HAVE to refer to the Believers as "ignorant" or at least "sheeple"...as well as include at least one mention of some mock Deity (FSM and IPUs are preferred, but any will cover the requirement including Santa and the Tooth Fairy) in EVERY bashing post. You also need a reference to some Sacred Writing as "myths", "fairytales", "fiction novel", or the like. I'm surprised at you...such amateurish mistakes!

But I'm sure you'll do better next time...I have FAITH in you!

Old 08-31-2010, 07:17 PM

33,575 posts, read 37,205,438 times
For your info the number of atheists in the world has grown to 15%....That is 350 million more atheists and 350 million less sheep than just a few years ago...You are loosing ground my friend.

When are you going to abandon your argument that numbers prove anything?

Old 08-31-2010, 09:06 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,670,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
For your info the number of atheists in the world has grown to 15%....That is 350 million more atheists and 350 million less sheep than just a few years ago...You are loosing ground my friend.

When are you going to abandon your argument that numbers prove anything?
The exact figure is debateable...I can show you claims of 96% Belief.

Regardless...it was, is, and will always be, a FACT...that on the world stage, Atheism is of near negligible consequence. It's the horse that finished last, it's the golfer that missed the cut, it's "New Coke".

I will NEVER abandon "numbers". Why would I? Especially when I have such a strong preference to winning instead of losing!

You say, numbers don't "prove anything". So, what "proves" things? Fallible so-called "facts"? Potentially errant "testing" and/or "research"? Logic and reason that rests on that which is fallible and potentially errant?

Look man, only in a hypothetical "Pure Logic" formula is that method "all that". Those formulas (a=b, b=c, so logically a=c) can't be counted on to function in the "real world" where "a" and "b" might have something cause a change in their "value". "The world", and "people" don't present the "controlled environment" needed for that method of discernment to be any more reliable than intuition and perception. MOF, outside of a lab, intuition and perception many times trumps logic and reason at coming to valid conclusions about "reality".

In the "real world", "numbers" are the driving force. It determines what goods and services are available based on "Supply & Demand", and it places our officials and determines our laws via the choice of the majority upon tallying votes cast.

Logic and reason does have it's place...as a tool to give a little assist to intuition and perception. But, for all intents and purposes, in the "real world", logic and reason has even less of a consequence than Atheism...now THAT's weak!!

Old 08-31-2010, 09:27 PM

33,575 posts, read 37,205,438 times
The argumentum ad populum is a red herring and genetic fallacy. It appeals on probabilistic terms; given that 75% of a population answer A to a question where the answer is unknown, the argument states that it is reasonable to assume that the answer is indeed A. It is logically fallacious because the mere fact that a belief is widely-held is not necessarily a guarantee that the belief is correct.

The Toyota Corolla is owned by more people in the world than any other, so in your mind that obviously makes it the best car and the one we should all drive, right?...I don't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality