Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 11:55 PM

1 posts, read 667 times

Advertisements

How do you know you believe in God
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 12:22 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,870,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannahdarling5 View Post
How do you know you believe in God
You start thinking illogically and irrationally.

Old 10-12-2017, 09:21 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,736,876 times
When you have faith.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
When you have faith.
That's what I said. You start thinking illogically and irrationally (faith).

Old 10-14-2017, 11:18 AM

20,049 posts, read 13,516,887 times
Unlike many, I don't have an inherent problem with necro-threads like this one. Going back to the OP, that was a classic case of someone who WANTS to believe but can't quite pull it off. The very fact that someone needs to ask how you "know you believe" anything means that they are trying and not quite succeeding to believe in that thing.

I agree with Nozferatu's post (where, oh where IS my favorite poster these days?): it is actually asking the wrong question because belief is the natural effect of knowing what you know, or not knowing what you don't know. It isn't really voluntary.

The correct question is "how do you foster religious faith" (where "religious faith" is the blind acceptance of asserted truth without requiring that it be substantiated). And the answer to that is, you decide in advance what you want to claim is true, and practice uncritically giving yourself and your thinking over to that until it becomes second nature. You embrace only supporting evidence and disparage evidence against your chosen belief. You sow fear of terrible consequences for simply questioning dogma or considering possible alternatives.

Which is why Raifus is correct. You cannot think logically and rationally while fostering belief in invisible beings and realms, which are inherently unfalsifiable.

Old 10-14-2017, 02:28 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,601,412 times
for me it was the periodic table. So the simple fact is we are part of a system that is better described as "alive" than any other single word.

of course I am one that just thinks some religious people are misunderstanding their connections to the surroundings. partly because they lack the understanding of the surroundings.

And unlike the milli/fundy think above me, that makes up convoluted bowl of ships to self justify some statement of belief over knowledge claims, I just take what the universe shows me through the PT. The milli/fundy think above, exposed by claiming "they can't think logically but I can", lacks understanding of the pt and interaction around them.

besides "we know and they can't know" sounds exactly like any literal religious person would sound. No matter what their belief statement is. "my god", "no anything", or "religion is so dangerous I am justified in denying more reasonable science in favor of a selling my belief.' where milli/fund think types fall short is that one cannot think logically, nor rationally, when all they are out for is anti-religion for revenge purposes. Like all adolescent brains, it can't take responsibility for itself, seeing only "something else' as the boogeyman that caused it's life to be as it is.

Old 10-14-2017, 02:31 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,601,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
That's what I said. You start thinking illogically and irrationally (faith).
like faith in the big bang?

Old 10-15-2017, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
like faith in the big bang?
No. Not like that at all.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:14 AM

18,502 posts, read 9,179,531 times
1) When you see fortunate coincidences as the work of an all-powerful conscious agent.

2) When you pray for X and X happens, and you believe that your prayer caused X.

In other words, when you embrace magical thinking: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_thinking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality