Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 06:10 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,926,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post
I too have read 3 out of 5 of your sites. They are all very poor, with little to no understanding of science. AIG goes so far as to say that if something disagrees with the bible, then the facts are wrong, but the bible is right. I am paraphrasing here, but can you honestly say that people should try to learn from a place that says the facts do not matter?

Found it. From the AIG website:

No apparent, perceived or claimed evidence in any field, including history and chronology, can be valid if it contradicts the Scriptural record.

Last item on the page.

So here we have a group that work from the basis of biblical inerrancy, over anything else. God (assuming one existed) could come to earth and say that AIG is wrong, and the group would still be spouting their inane statements about Noah's flood.
If you don't think science doesn't do the exact same thing in reverse, you're in a vacuum. All scientific experiments start with biases, AiG's are simply based on the Bible and secular experiments are based on anything BUT the Bible.

Also, all this discussion is completely off topic from the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 06:16 AM

646 posts, read 1,613,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
If you don't think science doesn't do the exact same thing in reverse, you're in a vacuum. All scientific experiments start with biases, AiG's are simply based on the Bible and secular experiments are based on anything BUT the Bible.

I don't think that it is off topic at all. We are discussing the validity of sources that have been cited to defend one side or the other of "creation vs evolution"

Anyway, science does not do the same thing. Scientific experiments and observations are thought out in excruciating detail just so that any biases are found and excluded. Experiments are repeated by others across the planet to verify this.

Old 05-02-2007, 06:59 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,696,905 times
Quote:

The accuracy of sources is always relevant when dealing with a scientific or historical topic. It's probably the most important thing!

Anyone can claim anything, but whether or not they have the facts to back it up, is quite another.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:08 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,261,131 times
Creationism does not align with Evolution in any way. According to the bible man and woman were created as we are today. Evolution starts of with an unidentified source and through natural selection we arrive today. Also, if Evolution is true then what would God's role be in our creation? Why not just create us the way we are today? Why create 'Evolution'?

Creationists trying to align their beliefs with Science is just the necessity to evenutually admit that Religion will some day have to concede to Scientific progress.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:08 AM

606 posts, read 703,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Evolution has been the widely accepted scientific theory of how we got here. It is backed up by science.

Creationism has been the religious explanation as to how we got here. Not just in the Christian religion but many others have relied on the use of Gods and Godesses to explain why things are.

Evolution is undoubtedly the most plausible way to explain the question: How did we get here?

My question for debate: Why can't it be both? Why can't evolution have been God's way of creation? In my mind there was no clock measuring how long a day was, so why can't evolution be accepted by religion as to how we got here?

scientists want to be close to the fact as much as possible,instead of giving a explicit explanation no matter how ridiculous it is.

Christian religion,just like other religions,emerged in a time when nobody can explain doubts about nature.People try to find the answer but failed,hence,they attribute natural mysteries to God or other stuff that cannot be proven.

Well,your question is good.Evolution theory itself is not against God directly

Old 05-02-2007, 07:12 AM

also the 'first cause' argument is in itelf contradictory. If there is a first cause for everything, then if God exists, there must have been a first cause before God , and so on....

The beginning of the universe can be explained in much more logical terms by scientists, which us by no means perfect or even necessarily true, but it is certainly more rational than 'God created the universe'. (And by God, I mean the traditional view of what 'God' is).

Old 05-02-2007, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post
I don't think that it is off topic at all. We are discussing the validity of sources that have been cited to defend one side or the other of "creation vs evolution"

Anyway, science does not do the same thing. Scientific experiments and observations are thought out in excruciating detail just so that any biases are found and excluded. Experiments are repeated by others across the planet to verify this.
The topic isn't creation vs. evolution....the topic is....(underlined for clarification)
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
My question for debate: Why can't it be both? Why can't evolution have been God's way of creation? In my mind there was no clock measuring how long a day was, so why can't evolution be accepted by religion as to how we got here?
If you'd like to continue our OT discussion, I'd ask that you read through this thread https://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ay-theory.html

and join in. There's a lot of good info there and it is exactly what we're discussing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
The accuracy of sources is always relevant when dealing with a scientific or historical topic. It's probably the most important thing!

Anyone can claim anything, but whether or not they have the facts to back it up, is quite another.
I agree. I didn't say anyone was using inaccurate sources.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:24 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,696,905 times
Quote:
The topic isn't creation vs. evolution....the topic is....(underlined for clarification)

If you'd like to continue our OT discussion, I'd ask that you read through this thread https://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...ay-theory.html

and join in. There's a lot of good info there and it is exactly what we're discussing.

I agree. I didn't say anyone was using inaccurate sources.

You are completely side stepping what everyone has said to you and trying to derail the points made by moving this thread to another one well under way about something completely different.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
You are completely side stepping what everyone has said to you and trying to derail the points made by moving this thread to another one well under way about something completely different.
Desdemona, I really don't understand. What I am trying to do is respect the OP. If you think that's an attempt to side-step, you're entitled to your opinion, but it is just your opinion. If you want to discuss 7 day vs Evolution, I welcome the discourse...but not at the expense of irishmom's thread.

Sorry, that's just not how I participate in these forums...and, if I'm not mistaken, it's the proper etiquette.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I think it can.

To me, the arguments between Evolutionists and Creationists can be compared to two people arguing over how Michelangelo sculpted his statue of David. The Creationist cries, "Michelangelo created that statue!" The Evolutionist cries, "No! Hammers and chisels created that statue!"

The fact is: They're both right. But they're so eager to prove the other wrong that they never really listen to what the other is saying.
Nope. Evolution is FACT. Darwinism may have a hole here and there, but we know for a fact that we evolved out of earlier species, as did everything else around us. This is not in question.

Our DNA is 99.9% the same as apes, meaning that our ancestors shared similar DNA to that of apes. If you don't believe in Evolution then you may aswell believe that the Earth is flat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality