Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 07:47 PM

646 posts, read 1,613,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Everything you just said makes perfect sense to me. You could be right on all of it. I just happen to believe that it is God and that it is the "Christian God." Now...I HAVE to go cook dinner Why is this forum so addictive for me????

Enjoy dinner.

Believe in god if that is what you want to do. All I would ask is that you acknowledge that other people have viable opinions, that are logically consistent.

That pretty much gets to my reasons for being on a board like this. I am an atheist, but I don't "hate god", which is often an accusation hurled at atheist. I simply have valid reasons for not believing in god.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 08:03 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,926,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Ok, now things even get more complicated. Scientists believe that the universe is approximately 14 or 15 billion years old, that figure seems to change a little as astronomy advances. You've probably heard of the Big Bang. They could have thought of a better name but that's the term that scientists use to describe the beginnings of the universe. A number of years ago it was proven that the universe is expanding. In fact it's been shown recently that the speed of the expansion is accelerating. What this indicates is that the universe began as a single point in space and exploded outwards. It's a weird concept but there is strong evidence that it really happened. Not only did matter suddenly come into existence but so did time itself. It is believed that gravity eventually caused matter to form into stars and eventually planets. Since we know that the speed of light is a constant speed in a vacuum and we're able to accurately measure distances in space we're able to calculate that the light from the farthest points from the earth that we can detect took about 14 billion years or so to get here. There's just no getting around the speed of light as Einstein proved. It's an absolute constant. We don't have a clue why this Big Bang occurred and I don't know if we ever will. It's mind boggling to comtemplate. The earth is about four and a half billion years old so the time scales we're talking about are almost incomprehensible when you consider the length of a human lifetime.
I posted this link on another thread. It's amazing what we don't know. And according to this article we have to undo some of what we think we know to grasp for answers. I thought of the portion dealing with the horizon problem when I read this post.

By the way, this is from an old-earth, evolution supporting, non-religious website http://space.newscientist.com/articl...mg18524911.600

Old 05-01-2007, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I posted this link on another thread. It's amazing what we don't know. And according to this article we have to undo some of what we think we know to grasp for answers.
But all that is saying is that our knowledge is incomplete. So? Just because we do not know everything...therefore god exists?

That simply does not follow.

Of course we do not know everything. But every year, every decade, we know more and more. And every time we learn a little more, we find that there is a perfectly reasonable, rational, logical, physical explanation for stuff that does not require god.

I am happy to admit that mankind's knowledge is incomplete. How does that strengthen the case for a creator?

Old 05-01-2007, 08:12 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,926,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post
But all that is saying is that our knowledge is incomplete. So? Just because we do not know everything...therefore god exists?

Of course we do not know everything. But every year, every decade, we know more and more. And every time we learn a little more, we find that there is a perfectly reasonable, rational, logical, physical explanation for stuff that does not require god.

I am happy to admit that mankind's knowledge is incomplete. How does that strengthen the case for a creator?
I posted the link as information, I don't remember even mentioning God.

But thanks for bringing Him up!

Old 05-01-2007, 09:23 PM

253 posts, read 642,073 times
[quote]But all that is saying is that our knowledge is incomplete. So? Just because we do not know everything...therefore god exists?

I am happy to admit that mankind's knowledge is incomplete. How does that strengthen the case for a creator?[/quote

I have found that as I watch, what the scientific community believes becomes a little bit more like the Bible each year. I have a personal opinion that the scriptures show a sort of final view of human knowledge, and Scientists are those humans ambitious enough to persue answers for themselves. I believe that one day, science and scripture will be one and the same, does anybody else think this?

Old 05-01-2007, 09:31 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,210,100 times
www.drdino.com

http://www.stonescryout.com/

http://www.icr.org/

http://www.godcreatedthat.com/

http://www.answersingenesis.org/

There is much more as well but that would be a good start.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:39 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,696,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
And for each of those one can post two websites that actually tear them apart....they prove nothing....but they are great for comic reading.

I do find it amusing that even answersingenesis.org has a list of arguments that even they don't think all you creationists should use as they are too easy to pick apart and get you laughed at....and I've seen them all here.

You might want to not include Kent Hovind's Dr. Dino web site.....seeing how he is a felon currently serving a 10 year sentence. Not exactly a shining example of how moral Christians are supposed to be.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:48 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,210,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
And for each of those one can post two websites that actually tear them apart....they prove nothing....but they are great for comic reading.

I do find it amusing that even answersingenesis.org has a list of arguments that even they don't think all you creationists should use as they are too easy to pick apart and get you laughed at....and I've seen them all here.

You might want to not include Kent Hovind's Dr. Dino web site.....seeing how he is a felon currently serving a 10 year sentence. Not exactly a shining example of how moral Christians are supposed to be.
Now I don't understand that? Is this the typical liberal God hater answer? Once again, we simply provide you resources to go and read for yourselves (no one said you had to accept it) and you denounce it. I seriously doubt you read all those web sites through. It would have been better for you to say no thanks or nothing. But don't ever say we did not respond or attempt to provide you all with information.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:54 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,696,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
Now I don't understand that? Is this the typical liberal God hater answer? Once again, we simply provide you resources to go and read for yourselves (no one said you had to accept it) and you denounce it. I seriously doubt you read all those web sites through. It would have been better for you to say no thanks or nothing. But don't ever say we did not respond or attempt to provide you all with information.
I've been on religious forums online for over 15 years....yes, over the years I've read through them all. It has nothing to do with dislike of Christianity....most Christians I know have no problem with evolution. The two are not incompatible.

They've all been tore apart because most of them don't even start with being honest about what evolution actually is. In other words, they are lies. If Creationists want to hold any idea based on their faith, that is one thing.....that is there right. However, don't start lying about science and then getting upset when it's picked apart.

And Hovind is a felon...that is a fact....but if you want to hold him up a a shining example....so be it...you have to expect to be tarnished. Or don't you think that other Christians have a right to know what he did with the money they gave him for his Dr. Dino park?

Old 05-02-2007, 05:44 AM

I too have read 3 out of 5 of your sites. They are all very poor, with little to no understanding of science. AIG goes so far as to say that if something disagrees with the bible, then the facts are wrong, but the bible is right. I am paraphrasing here, but can you honestly say that people should try to learn from a place that says the facts do not matter?

Found it. From the AIG website:

No apparent, perceived or claimed evidence in any field, including history and chronology, can be valid if it contradicts the Scriptural record.

Last item on the page.

So here we have a group that work from the basis of biblical inerrancy, over anything else. God (assuming one existed) could come to earth and say that AIG is wrong, and the group would still be spouting their inane statements about Noah's flood.

Last edited by stretch00; 05-02-2007 at 05:57 AM.. Reason: correct typos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality