Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 04:30 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,798,535 times

Advertisements

"Now, theoretically, in a sense, if one were to start with wolves, and breed generations of dogs, breeding the right combinations together with all the same sorts of mutations occurring all over again in the right sequence etc., then one could breed a dog with poodle characteristics. But, one could never breed a wolf from a poodle because the necessary information for wolves has been corrupted or deleted." - Ken Ham, Pres. Aig

'Two-kilogram teacup poodles; 90-kg mastiffs; slender greyhounds; squat English bulldogs: For a single species, canines come in a vast array of shapes and sizes. Even more remarkably, they all come from the same stock. … Only subtle differences distinguish dogs from coyotes, jackals, and other canids, making family trees difficult to construct and the timing of the transition from wolf to dog hard to pinpoint.’ Pennisi, E., A shaggy dog history, Science 298(5598):1540–1542, 22 November, 2002.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 06:25 PM

646 posts, read 1,611,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
hehehe. I get such a kick out of these debates. LOL. Montanaguy, they are ALL STILL dogs!
You are missing the point. They have only had, at the outside, 15,000 years to diverge from wolves. What about giving them 100 times as long, 1.5 million years.

They will not longer be dogs, and 1.5 million years ago, they were probably not dogs either.

Old 05-21-2007, 06:37 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,647,113 times
Ok, I'm going to go out on a limb here. I think if we could combine the DNA of Alpha and Spunky1 that it's quite possible that we could produce a clone of a very primitive apeman. Just kidding guys, since we're beating you guys up so bad on this debate I thought I'd try to throw in a little humor.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:28 AM

9 posts, read 13,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post
You are missing the point. They have only had, at the outside, 15,000 years to diverge from wolves. What about giving them 100 times as long, 1.5 million years.

They will not longer be dogs, and 1.5 million years ago, they were probably not dogs either.

where is your proof of that?. where is your proof of any animal changing into a different kind of animal? Why is there not one living transition? there should logically be millions, there are millions of set kinds.

Only science fiction can explain evolution.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:40 AM

1,385 posts, read 3,010,273 times
Every living thing is a transitional form.

Contrary to creationist belief, we did NOT come from monkeys, we share a common ancestor. Just like the housecat and lion, just like the dog and the wolf.

Living things adapt to their environment, not vice versa. The best adaptations are more likely to reproduce and survive.
Which is why the "crocoduck" never appeared.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:24 AM

244 posts, read 393,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
hehehe. I get such a kick out of these debates. LOL. Montanaguy, they are ALL STILL dogs!
Yes, all breeds of dogs are still dogs. But are dogs still wolves? (http://www.idir.net/~wolf2dog/wayne2.htm - broken link) Are wolves still coyotes? Are polar bears still brown bears? Are California tiger salamanders still eastern tiger salamanders? Are herring gulls still lesser black-backed gulls? Are Ensatina eschscholtzi klauberi salamanders still Ensatina eschscholtzi eschscholtzi salamanders? Are alpine Lycaeides butterflies still Lycaeides mellisa or Lycaeides idas butterflies? Are Heliconius heurippa butterflies still H cydno or H melpomeme butterflies?

The list goes on.

And why are all breeds of dogs still dogs? Because genes flow freely between all breeds. What if all breeds but the great Dane and the chihuahua were to go extinct? Then there would be no interbreeding between them, and the two would be established as separate species.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:27 PM

244 posts, read 393,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arod0331 View Post
Every living thing is a transitional form.

Every living thing is potentially a transitional form. Only those species that have produced new species are actually transitional forms. That wouldn’t include modern humans, for instance.

Quote:
Contrary to creationist belief, we did NOT come from monkeys, we share a common ancestor. Just like the housecat and lion, just like the dog and the wolf.

I don’t think the common ancestor of a housecat and a lion looked like either, but I think the common ancestor of humans and monkeys would have been categorized by pretty much anyone as a monkey. And the common ancestor of dogs and modern wolves was definitely a wolf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality