Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 03:20 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,572,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live&Learn View Post
Why are the atheists in this thread so....hostile?
Some atheists face hostility in their lives due to their disbelief. In some, but not all, Muslim countries this can be particularly true. (Balkan Muslims, like Kosovars and Albanians, tend to be a bit more relaxed I think. As do some Senegalese and, from an author I knew who lived there, Turks) In any event this hostility breeds hostility in them.

Also there's frankly the movement of anti-theist writers who were motivated, to some degree, by anger over 9-11 to declare war on religion. Most of them therefore don't just refer to religion as ignorant or silly, as an atheist might, but as inherently dangerous and an enemy. So Hitchens will repeat urban legends about how Hasidics have sex or Harris will nearly advocate violence or Dawkins will want to illegalize fortune-tellers or whatever because the war is what matters. Anyway it's more zealous than the atheists I read as a kid.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:25 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,572,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightynerd View Post
Thats a Parable that Jesus used! Its best to read the whole thing to get a clearer picture of what Jesus is saying!

Peace out
Yeah I tried that, but if a person could understand parables or literature they wouldn't be swayed by YouTube videos or a Dawkins book.

Dawkins has been married three times, but the third time he married an actress from Dr. Who. That plus fame is likely a sort-of fairytale for nerds. Plus in my experience you can't really hope for any veering from his disciples. Just try asking them to prove a meme exists, or why one should deem memetics valid, and they'll go apoplectic.

Old 07-25-2009, 03:37 AM

320 posts, read 449,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Some atheists face hostility in their lives due to their disbelief. In some, but not all, Muslim countries this can be particularly true. (Balkan Muslims, like Kosovars and Albanians, tend to be a bit more relaxed I think. As do some Senegalese and, from an author I knew who lived there, Turks) In any event this hostility breeds hostility in them.

Also there's frankly the movement of anti-theist writers who were motivated, to some degree, by anger over 9-11 to declare war on religion. Most of them therefore don't just refer to religion as ignorant or silly, as an atheist might, but as inherently dangerous and an enemy. So Hitchens will repeat urban legends about how Hasidics have sex or Harris will nearly advocate violence or Dawkins will want to illegalize fortune-tellers or whatever because the war is what matters. Anyway it's more zealous than the atheists I read as a kid.
Interesting read mate! Learn something new everyday! thanks for that!

Old 07-25-2009, 06:51 AM

433 posts, read 964,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightynerd View Post
Thats a Parable that Jesus used! Its best to read the whole thing to get a clearer picture of what Jesus is saying!

Peace out

Riiiiiiight....

Old 07-25-2009, 01:01 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,416,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwill View Post
i think that it's you who apply concepts that are clearly absent . quran never mentioned that the flood was for all the world rather it mentioned that it was for tribe of noah

guess what ? i believe that bible contains errors as for it isn't words of God
noway to blame quran for the errors you found in the bible

it was mentioned in quran
44 - Then the word went forth: O earth swallow up thy water, and O sky withhold (thy rain) and the water abated, and the matter was ended. the Ark rested on mount Judi, and the word went forth: Away with those who do wrong

i never said that the level of water kept over the mountain , actually quran said that after the matter was ended the ark rested on the mount which means that gravity and hydrodynamics made the water flow towards the lowest point

Noah's Ark was discovered in mid May of 1948 by a local Kurdish shepherd boy
And you KEEP posting scripture quotes that make my points for me quite eloquently, thank you.

BTW, did you not state (edited for length and clarity)...

Quote:
...Apart from those who boarded Prophet Nuh's (as) Ark, the entire tribe was drowned. The dead included the Prophet's son who thought he could escape by seeking shelter on a mountain....

Old 07-25-2009, 01:04 PM

Oh, and I forgot to mention, the Ark was NOT discovered. A geat fraud is being made. There is no evidence whasoever, no photographs, no pieces, not anything. If the Ark has indeed been found, where is the hordes of media decending on the Site? The armies of legitimate archeologists and other related fields?

The Ark would substantiate all three scriptures, so I find it impossible to consider that it would jsut be allwoed to lie there unattended, especially considering the Abrahamic's way of enshrining holy relics.

Old 07-25-2009, 01:05 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,688,650 times
Quote:
you will never find any , i guess

there is no reasons for a muslim to become athiest
LOL! That's about the funniest thing I've read all day...thanks for a good laugh!

Old 07-25-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post

Athiests, and indeed most non-Abrahamic Theists, are not "hostile towards religion". We are hostile towards religion attempting to force it's way into our governments and public life.

Religion is a personal thing, something intimate and rewarding for the individual.

It shouldn't be plastered all over billboards. It CERTAINLY shouldn't be made into secular Laws.

TV and radio don't matter tho, we can merely turn the station after all.

Old 07-25-2009, 01:30 PM

1,216 posts, read 2,265,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
And you KEEP posting scripture quotes that make my points for me quite eloquently, thank you.

BTW, did you not state (edited for length and clarity)...

i yes i said that his son was drowned , what's the problem ?

Old 07-25-2009, 01:36 PM

1,216 posts, read 2,265,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
LOL! That's about the funniest thing I've read all day...thanks for a good laugh!
you are wellcome

anyway , i was trying to motivate the people in this forum to find for me some errors from quran to refute me

it was kind of challenge , not more than that

but i'm happy that i made you laugh anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality