Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 04:15 PM

67 posts, read 108,938 times

Advertisements

I have many non Muslim friends who enjoy listening to Quran recitation despite of not understanding a word of it , they say they like the language and the voice tune

what about members here ? would you mind listen to the Quran and the Muslims call to prayer for that matter ? or you will never listen to it because you don't believe in the faith ?

here are some examples of good reaction and call to prayer I found on YouTube

Quran Surah Yasin ++ Translation to English of Word Meaning ++ - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZW0V-yIfqU

Saudi azan the best sound in the world amazing - YouTube

‫

‫

Last edited by Alexander7; 03-16-2013 at 05:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 08:39 PM

1,977 posts, read 1,942,585 times
islamic chanting and recitings are irritating i would rather hear church bells

Old 03-16-2013, 08:48 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
It gives me the creeps. It reminds me of a cat in pain.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:49 PM

33,559 posts, read 37,160,046 times
No thanks.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:26 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,923,337 times
Default Alternate classical options.....

Or...

Mormon Tabernacle Choir - Hallelujah, Christmas - YouTube

and this....

G.F.Handel, Oratorio Messiah HWV.56 "But who may abide....", performed by Slava Kagan-Paley - YouTube

and...

Handel: Music for the Royal Fireworks, Overture. - YouTube

...and so on, all inspired by Christianity. And far more "musical" than the cited Islamic chants. Sorry; by majority vote, you'd lose.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:17 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,071,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
islamic chanting and recitings are irritating i would rather hear church bells
Yes, It's irritating and choppy, not very conforming to our normal musical inclinations.
Much like Hindu and some Tibetan chants I've listened to.

Besides, I listen to a Quran translation to English on my ipod, it is much less annoying then listening to it in Arabic. I'm sure with enough time, I could grow to love Arabic chants like I learned to love heavy metal, along with classical music which used to be boring and put me to sleep.

Church bells I would mind a bit less than Arabic Quranic recitations, but they are still a form of religionist oppression and monopoly upon those who are forced to listen to them.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:02 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,331,642 times
Quote:
what about members here ? would you mind listen to the Quran and the Muslims call to prayer for that matter ? or you will never listen to it because you don't believe in the faith ?
Sorry, I found those videos grating and annoying, and it has nothing to do with faith.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:06 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,530,536 times
Guess I'm the exception, I thought they were quite beautiful, but I grew up listening to classical Indian music so perhaps its more familiar to my ears then to those of other Westerners, to whom it must seem quite alien and difficult to relate to. I truly believe that music is not universal, a musical tradition is something people learn and are accultured to, just like a language.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:52 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,662,675 times
What the heck, I like listening to this kind of religious music and prayers....

YouTube - Ojibwa Prayer,

YouTube - Earth Spirit,

YouTube - Native American- Cherokee Morning Song,

YouTube - Spirit Of The Ancestors-Prayer for Nanye Hi(Native American),

Old 03-17-2013, 02:22 PM

19,054 posts, read 27,620,833 times
So much venom...

1. I do greatly respect Holy Q'Ran and Islam in this respect. It is said, that God spoke its word, and as such, it can not be changed. Every change in God's word by a human mars it, as it comes from one, that is not pure. Hence, Islam is correct. God's word was given to the son of Abraham and his peoples in the particular language, and it is a blasphemy to speak it in any other, but the original, language. Amen. That being said, what was the original language YHWH and Christ gave their wisdom in?
2. On a spiritual level, it does not matter, what language is used to convey an idea. What matters is idea itself. An honest prayer may be spoken in a language one does not understand, but GOD will know it, as GOD is word and all the words in the world are of God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality