Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 09:36 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,353,349 times

Advertisements

I'd like a Young Earth Creationists take on some of this observable phenomenon in our Universe:

Stars:

We can observe light from stars millions of light years away. The speed of light is a computable law of nature. If the Earth was only 6000 years old, then how did the light from stars millions of light years away reach Earth already?

Natural Resources:

Fossil fuels such as oil and coal take much longer than 6000 years to form naturally. How do you explain the abundance of these resources on Earth if the planet is 6000 years old?

Mountains:

Many mountain ranges on our planet are observed to be growing higher due to plate tectonic collisions. Did god create a base for these mountains and then have the plates collide to have the mountains grow ever so slightly every year?

Craters:

The earth is littered with massive craters from asteroid impacts throughout its history. Many of these craters are so large that it would have had devestating effects on mankind. We can calculate the amount of energy that would be released to create these craters and estimate what it would do to the planet. The results are unsettling. Yet, somehow, we've been struck by these asteroids in the past 6000 years without anyone noticing a thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 09:59 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,860,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
I'd like a Young Earth Creationists take on some of this observable phenomenon in our Universe:
I'll play, putting on a YEC hat and seeing if I can remember the pat answers.

Quote:
Stars:

We can observe light from stars millions of light years away. The speed of light is a computable law of nature. If the Earth was only 6000 years old, then how did the light from stars millions of light years away reach Earth already?
God created the light in transit, complete with artifacts of that light having passed through lightyears of space and effected by massive bodies, filtered by nebulae, etc., eventhough it never actually traversed the cosmos. A form of omphalosism

Quote:
Natural Resources:

Fossil fuels such as oil and coal take much longer than 6000 years to form naturally. How do you explain the abundance of these resources on Earth if the planet is 6000 years old?
Synthetic oil can be made pretty quickly, or it was created in situ, as is.

Quote:
Mountains:

Many mountain ranges on our planet are observed to be growing higher due to plate tectonic collisions. Did god create a base for these mountains and then have the plates collide to have the mountains grow ever so slightly every year?
The Flood caused tectonics at a breakneck speed, ala Walt Brown's Hydroplate theory.

Quote:
Craters:

The earth is littered with massive craters from asteroid impacts throughout its history. Many of these craters are so large that it would have had devestating effects on mankind. We can calculate the amount of energy that would be released to create these craters and estimate what it would do to the planet. The results are unsettling. Yet, somehow, we've been struck by these asteroids in the past 6000 years without anyone noticing a thing?
A great angelic battle, prior to the creation of Adam, etal., or so I've heard.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:41 AM

970 posts, read 1,702,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra
The Flood caused tectonics at a breakneck speed, ala Walt Brown's Hydroplate theory.
A massive flood built mountains up? That's rather counter-intuitive.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxolan View Post
A massive flood built mountains up? That's rather counter-intuitive.
It had to do with the breaking-up of the foundations of the deep. You still have plate tectonics building the mountains, but it was at a much higher speed, and of course, without any of the consequences associated with it.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:22 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,353,349 times
Thanks for the explanations, though the one for the Earth's craters doesn't make much sense. I mean where in the bible does it say angels were hurling massive asteroids at each other. At what point during god's creation process did this battle take place? Where is the source for this battle?

Old 07-23-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the explanations, though the one for the Earth's craters doesn't make much sense. I mean where in the bible does it say angels were hurling massive asteroids at each other. At what point during god's creation process did this battle take place? Where is the source for this battle?
Oh I didn't know there were these rules for this little exercize. I didn't realize it must be spelled out in the Bible. I was just using the method of "If I can conceive of it, I can believe it." It may have had something to do when Satan and the other soon to be, fallen angels rebelled against God.

Last edited by PanTerra; 07-23-2009 at 11:47 AM..

Old 07-23-2009, 11:42 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,948,503 times
I can play an honest creationist: It's all miracles, there is no natural explanation for my beliefs but I still believe in them.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:13 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,088,576 times
Quote:

Stars:

Has the speed of light been constant? Is it possible that God created the light "en route"?

Quote:

Natural Resources:

How do you know the length of time it takes to form?

Or perhaps God created it.
Quote:
Mountains:

Perhaps at some point in time God caused them to rapidly move together. Maybe after the flood, as the waters receded. It's been said that there is plenty of water on earth to cover the earth if the mountains were all flattened out.
Quote:
Craters:

There was a massive strike in Siberia about 100 years ago. It was a cataclysmic event to anyone within hundreds of miles. In America people probably didn't know about it unless they read the newspaper.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:29 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,059,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Has the speed of light been constant?
Yes unless you can show us that light speed is changing.
Quote:
Is it possible that God created the light "en route"?
No!
Quote:
Hint - fossil fuels aka dead stuff
Quote:
Nope
Quote:
Perhaps at some point in time God caused them to rapidly move together. Maybe after the flood, as the waters receded. It's been said that there is plenty of water on earth to cover the earth if the mountains were all flattened out.
Perhaps your flood myth is all BS anyway
Quote:
There was a massive strike in Siberia about 100 years ago. It was a cataclysmic event to anyone within hundreds of miles. In America people probably didn't know about it unless they read the newspaper.
IIRC it was a near miss IOW it entered the atmosphere but "bounced" off

Old 07-23-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Has the speed of light been constant? Is it possible that God created the light "en route"?

WOOOHOOO Can I call 'em, or what!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality