Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 06:42 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,403,480 times

Advertisements

My dad was a gentle and kind person. He never had to threaten me to get me to behave. He always dealt with us firmly but never harshly or with threats of punishment. I loved him dearly.

God is supposed to be a father. But how can you really truly LOVE someone who says "Love me, bow down and worship me, or I'll send you into a pit of fire!" That is not love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 07:32 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,734,289 times
There "must" be some difference between Dad and the Almighty, milady.

Even the ancient "Dad" as humans knew was sort of like the headmaster of the house. He wasn't someone whom mom allowed to see once a week, post divorce, where he comes in like Santa Claus packed with gifts and competes with the boyfriend to be a best friend

Remember Christianity is an Eastern religion where "civilization" was already in place when there was nothing documented in the "West".

Old 06-19-2009, 08:17 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,386,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
There "must" be some difference between Dad and the Almighty, milady.

Even the ancient "Dad" as humans knew was sort of like the headmaster of the house. He wasn't someone whom mom allowed to see once a week, post divorce, where he comes in like Santa Claus packed with gifts and competes with the boyfriend to be a best friend

Remember Christianity is an Eastern religion where "civilization" was already in place when there was nothing documented in the "West".
Headmasters suck.
A father doesn't need to be a headmaster in order to have a functional happy family.
I get the feeling that I would really, really hate to be one of your offspring.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:17 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,193,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
My dad was a gentle and kind person. He never had to threaten me to get me to behave. He always dealt with us firmly but never harshly or with threats of punishment. I loved him dearly.

God is supposed to be a father. But how can you really truly LOVE someone who says "Love me, bow down and worship me, or I'll send you into a pit of fire!" That is not love.
Some people adore bondage, discipline, sado-maso. Same with religion.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:26 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,522,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Some people adore bondage, discipline, sado-maso. Same with religion.

and what's left for communications must hence (or since?) never get above the lowest common denominator??

no, wait.... "we" got the cosmetics industry working (for those who never afforded themselves anything else!)

Old 06-19-2009, 08:48 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,336,095 times
Quote:

in this section is a lot written about Christian universalism, it might help you:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/christianity/

Old 06-19-2009, 08:57 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,712,606 times
I think one must bear in mind that Christianity emerged in an extremely patriarchal era, both within the family and in the structures of Bronze Age governance.

So, it's only logical that they would construct an image of God that reflects the human structures of that time. Those who still adhere to the Bible are simply perpeturating that era. In reality, we are spiritually evolving beyond the patriarchal structure into an understanding of God simply as the presence within all life. In truly understanding that, all the powers long attributed to God (save for the insecurity of demanding worship and servitude) reveal themselves to be within us.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:19 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,522,986 times
^
sorry...

it may have emerged from something like the above, but it did not originate as such.

imho, for scientific precision, intellectual honesty, and, yes, ancestral certitude (in a spiritual sense).

Old 06-19-2009, 11:01 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,441,333 times
Quote:

You do not understand the Father. His love for you makes your fathers love look like hate.

The hell you see was for Satan and his angels. People who reject Jesus Christ end up there by default. God is not forcing people to go to hell. God is not using hell to make you behave. If your earthly father said don't stick you finger in the electric outlet would he be evil? Then why think evil of your heavenly father who warns "don't go to hell"?

We worship God not because it is some appeasement for him. He does not need our worship. We worship him becase he is great. Because he is worthy of worship. Because his love is so great for us we cannot even fathom it all and must say God alone you are God and Great and worthy to be praised. God you have saved us and redeemed us and brought us to yourself because you are good.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:07 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,712,606 times
Quote:
You do not understand the Father. His love for you makes your fathers love look like hate.
The mind games people have to play to convince themselves that we have an angry father waiting for us when we get home is pretty astounding.

We are maturing, like a child does as she nears adulthood, from needing parental oversight and moral regulation. This old construction of God is rightfully fading in these "end times".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality