Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 09:02 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,078,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
So where does it say "If you're not a christian you are an enemy of god and he's not your father"? Where does it say you have to be a "Christian" defined by today's standards.

Joh 8:44 You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and has nothing to do with the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

1Jn 3:10 By this it is evident who are the children of God, and who are the children of the devil: whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is the one who does not love his brother.

In the OT whereever you see the phrase "Sons of God" it's in reference to believers. Not all of creation.

I will ask you: where in the Bible does it refer to all people as "child(ren) of God"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 10:04 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,616,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Not sure what you mean by that, other than to dodge the question. You obviously don't believe she deserved it, and your answer is the same as Billy Graham's apparently who says that it is Satan who causes evil [and God can't/won't do anything about it (yet)]. I thought Jesus came and conquered Satan, anyway? Why is he still around 2000 years later?
Obviously. And I wasn't dodging the question, I thought I had answered you sufficiently from the start.

And the way you talk about Satan still hanging around reminds me of an email I received the other day where the person talked about my ex- husband in that the last he had heard he was sick. He said, he's still around, I thought he was dead.

Nope, my ex-husband is still alive and well. And for you Logic, so is Satan, after all these years. There's a book written so long ago I don't know that it is still in circulation the title, "Satan is Alive and Well on Plant Earth".

Quote:
Are these the only ways you get cancer? What about children born with genetic disorders? These are all Satan too?
Haven't you ever seen movies that depict where there are genetic disorders found in the children and the EPA is called in to test the waters of the community or town and they find the water is polluted by the local chemical factories? It's usually some one that has more money than they have sense. Those are stories from actual law suits.

I don't know if you know this or not but I was watching Wide Lens of PBS and they showed I think it was Chevron over in Afica. The nice homes, the nice money making company and just 200 miles away are those children that we see in that comercial, 'save the children'. There isn't enough food and the water they have to drink is nasty.

Logic is that Satan, God, or people, which are looking the other way?
Quote:
If these are all caused by Satan, and God sits and watches Satan causing all these things, why doesn't he stop it? What is he waiting for? There are still good people in the world, you say? So he's waiting for the corruption to grow so heavy throughout every person in the world before he does something about it? What's the point? To enjoy the show? I certainly wouldn't wait for a second, and you have to admit that you wouldn't either.
He did not answer the question.. "Is god limited in any way" e.g. why doesn't he do anything about it?

Billy graham says something like 'oh, it's not God, it's Satan, and God is still the all-powerful good guy because he conquered Satan.' Nevermind the fact that this means nothing because the world is still as evil as ever.. but to the question, he never explained why God doesn't stop Satan, or whether God even can stop Satan.

Do you have a real answer?
It's called the day of reckoning. The end of time. Where all to be judge will be judged.

Jesus was sent to conquer sin and all those that believe they are sinners and look to Him, their spirit will be saved. For those that don't, won't.

And yes this world is going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better. The good people of this world are the influence for the greater good. They are here to talk to people to get them to listen, to repent (which means to change their minds) and take a walk with Jesus for a change so as to fill that empty void and free their spirit for ever more.

With all this talk about what God can and can not do, What can God do for you today Logic, anything? If He can stir your heart, He can save the children.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:44 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,331,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
How do you know the twin towers were not knocked down, by God to wipe out corruption in the money? World Trade Center and all.

The earthquakes, the tsunamis, hurricanes... how do you know, that bad isn't good?

All I know is to keep my heart right and to not fall influenced by others. The rest in life, there are no straight answers when listening to all the different perspectives.
I don't think I am going to dare venture into this territory. If knocking down the towers, katrina, famine, warfare was part of god's plan - I want absolutely nothing to do with this plan.

It seems to me that religion has helped you find some inner peace. And if that's what makes you happy, then I am glad that you have that. But do beware. You are insinuating that the unnecessary evils on this planet are carried out for the better. Finding moral justification for such horrors can obviously lead to a malfunctioning moral code and I hope you have the realization to recognize when it has gone too far.

I can at least appreciate the common sense in what you said about straight answers in the mix with various perspectives. Just remember though, that your perspective, just as mine, is just that - another perspective. Absolutely no offence intended, but the views you expressed here are a few of the reasons I do not play well with religion. I'm glad to see that religion works for you and I can see the importance of it in your life. That being said, I am not going to pick at it any more than I have already. Besides, we're going nowhere with this.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:55 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,037,435 times
Quote:
Obviously. And I wasn't dodging the question, I thought I had answered you sufficiently from the start.

And the way you talk about Satan still hanging around reminds me of an email I received the other day where the person talked about my ex- husband in that the last he had heard he was sick. He said, he's still around, I thought he was dead.

Nope, my ex-husband is still alive and well. And for you Logic, so is Satan, after all these years. There's a book written so long ago I don't know that it is still in circulation the title, "Satan is Alive and Well on Plant Earth".
But WHY is Satan still around, if Jesus supposedly defeated him along with sin?

Quote:
Haven't you ever seen movies that depict where there are genetic disorders found in the children and the EPA is called in to test the waters of the community or town and they find the water is polluted by the local chemical factories? It's usually some one that has more money than they have sense. Those are stories from actual law suits.

I don't know if you know this or not but I was watching Wide Lens of PBS and they showed I think it was Chevron over in Afica. The nice homes, the nice money making company and just 200 miles away are those children that we see in that comercial, 'save the children'. There isn't enough food and the water they have to drink is nasty.
Are you seriously generalizing that all disease is caused by humans? Will you lump all natural disasters into that as well?

And even if it were, there's still the question of why one person's bad judgment is allowed to hurt another person.

Quote:
Logic is that Satan, God, or people, which are looking the other way?
To me, just people. But hypothetically, within your belief that God and Satan are real, God is also looking the other way, while Satan cheers it on.

Quote:
It's called the day of reckoning. The end of time. Where all to be judge will be judged.

Jesus was sent to conquer sin and all those that believe they are sinners and look to Him, their spirit will be saved. For those that don't, won't.

And yes this world is going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better. The good people of this world are the influence for the greater good. They are here to talk to people to get them to listen, to repent (which means to change their minds) and take a walk with Jesus for a change so as to fill that empty void and free their spirit for ever more.
This doesn't make a lot of sense.. why is God waiting around for evil to fester to 100%? And how is that even possible if he's also waiting for people to change evildoers' minds?

Quote:
With all this talk about what God can and can not do, What can God do for you today Logic, anything? If He can stir your heart, He can save the children.
If your god is real, then he can save the children; that would be something 'for me' that would 'stir my heart'. I'm not holding my breath.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:38 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,616,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
But WHY is Satan still around, if Jesus supposedly defeated him along with sin?

Are you seriously generalizing that all disease is caused by humans? Will you lump all natural disasters into that as well?

And even if it were, there's still the question of why one person's bad judgment is allowed to hurt another person.

To me, just people. But hypothetically, within your belief that God and Satan are real, God is also looking the other way, while Satan cheers it on.

This doesn't make a lot of sense.. why is God waiting around for evil to fester to 100%? And how is that even possible if he's also waiting for people to change evildoers' minds?

If your god is real, then he can save the children; that would be something 'for me' that would 'stir my heart'. I'm not holding my breath.
Bible Study - What Satan Fears Most

And apparently it would good for you to take an environmental class.

good day

Old 07-02-2009, 03:10 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,037,435 times
Quote:
So Satan fears Jesus coming back, but he is surely making the best of the time he does have! Why does your god give him that time? And it's not just a short amount of time, it's 2000 years (so far)!!

It never explains WHY God allows Satan to have 2000 years to still reign, after being defeated. I've never heard a justifiable reason other than a) he can't, b) he is not good or c) he isn't real.

Quote:
And apparently it would good for you to take an environmental class
Because I don't think humans are responsible for every disease and natural disaster? Forget about pollution.. Do you think humans are responsible for that fish that swims up your pee-hole, or the worm that can only live if it burrows into an eyeball? And backpain is our own fault because we are so pompous as to walk upright with backs that so clearly weren't designed for bipedalism? And genetic disorders are the fault of the parents who had the nerve to reproduce when they unknowingly harbored a recessive gene?

Wait, I thought this was because Satan was allowed to walk the earth for 2000 years while God gathered his paperwork? Is it Satan or humans that God is allowing to cause all this evil?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality