Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 11:57 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,309,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMtnsOnTheMind View Post
So what? So, Satan likes Catholic prayers. That does not make them Christian. There is a difference between Catholicism and Christianity anyway. When they start singing "the old rugged cross" in their vodou ceremonies then I might be impressed. Until then, they still remain a bunch of counterfeits.
I agree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 05:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,275 times
Default You need to study more than your ethnocentric point of view of Christianity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Shawn_2828 View Post
Identify and being a Christian are two different things.

People are identifying voodoo worship with Christianity, but they don't have the identification (fact) of being a Christian.

How can someone say that they are Christian, but serve another god?

That would be like me saying that I serve allah, but I worship and believe in Jesus. The two don't match.

Voodoo has nothing to do with Christianity. I'm not looking down on people who worship voodoo, but the two are not the same.

I also don't look down on other religions or another faith. People who are not educated on religion or other peoples faith have a tendency to try to group certain religions together that should not be.

Is everyone who does not believe in God an Atheist? I don't think so, but someone else might say other wise.

I am very familiar with voodoo because my church goes to Africa and they do not have anything to do with Christianity. Christians and the voodoo doctors, (some are called witches) are waring with Christian to this day.

But there are some who practice voodoo and try to combine it with Christianity, but they are not Christian.

I feel that people should better educate themselve about other religion, so they will have a better understanding. I educate myself about other religions and faith, so I will have a better understanding if I come in contact with another person of another faith or religion.

I fear that you may missed a few details in your studies! Currently and by no means am I claiming expertise in this field, religion, or study I am taking an Anthropology course with an emphasis on World religion of the Old World so to speak! Voodoo happens to be the topic of my final thesis paper in this class! Voodoo much like every religion in existence today is but, a reflection of its true former roots and humble beginnings! Yes within every culture there is a dominate religious practice, doctrine, or belief structure; However within each of those dominate religions you will find commonalities with various beliefs and practices! You made reference to how could you claim to be Islamic and praise Allah if you worship Jesus Christ and made the statement that you could not the two do not go together! The fallacy in this statement and the provocation to suggest further education in this matter can be found in the Koran! Jesus Christ is not only mentioned but revered in the same light as Mohammad the Islamic prophet! In the Christian Bible they tell the story of Abraham who bore a son named Issac who in turn gave birth to the many nations of Christianity. As well in this story they spoke of a maid to Sarah (Abraham's wife) by the name of Hagar.Abraham took this woman as a mistress for at the time his wife seemed unable to bare him children! This Mistress gave Abraham his first born son Ishmael! Ishmael and Issac did not get along and Sarah (Abraham's wife) grew jealous of Hagar so she with the knowledge of the feud between Ishmael and Issac had Hagar and her son cast out! This is where the story of Hagar and Ishmael ends in the christian bible but, the Koran continues it! Hagar traveled across the desert dying from thirst, hunger and the elements and abandoned her son unable to bare watching him suffer! The child of course cried until God heard his cries and sprung forth from the desert a spring to quench his thirst and fruit to stave off his hunger and sent an angel to Hagar to tell her to return to her child for like his younger brother Issac he would be the father of many nations. The nations God's angel spoke of were the many nations of Islam or by the religions name Muslims. The Muslims by the orthodox practice recognize and acknowledge their connection to Christians and refer to them in the Koran as their brothers born from the same Grandfather Abraham! Furthermore the name Allah in Arabic, translates quite literally in English to "THE GOD" further aligning themselves with the Christians! Now back to the religion of Voodoo! Voodoo was developed from slaves of the European slave colonies in Haiti that were transplanted from Africa. These slaves in the midst of their misery turned to their beliefs for comfort, reason and explanation as all humans have a tendency to do during times of strife. With the many cultures,ethnic and religious back rounds in close proximity to each other the various religious beliefs started to mix and swirl together along with the Haitian and European influences Voodoo was born! This religion is not of pure origin it is instead a variation of various religions complied together from African, Haitian and European heritage taking aspects of all the beliefs from those cultures including pagan religions from West Africa as well as many aspects of Catholicism or Judeo/Christianity!

Excerpt from ([url=http://www.africanholocaust.net/news_ah/vodoo.htm]AFRICAN HOLOCAUST - The history of Africa restored[/url])

"However, since slavery included stripping the slaves of their language, culture, and heritage, this religion had to take some different forms. It had to be practiced in secret, since in some places it was punishable by death, and it had to adapt to the loss of their African languages. In order to survive, Voodoo also adopted many elements of Christianity."

I mean no disrespect but, I feel that if someone is going to share their personal point of view, it should be shared as such... A point of view, and not attempt to be passed off as fact, with claims of knowledge and study when clearly there has been no such investigation just opinion passed through hearing half truths or stories, receiving biased information from religious practitioners of various faiths or morals passed on from ignorance in family superstitions.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:55 PM

33,569 posts, read 37,185,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMtnsOnTheMind View Post
So what? So, Satan likes Catholic prayers. That does not make them Christian. There is a difference between Catholicism and Christianity anyway. When they start singing "the old rugged cross" in their vodou ceremonies then I might be impressed. Until then, they still remain a bunch of counterfeits.
Catholics believe in Christ, therefore they are indeed Christians. As a matter of fact they were the original Christians and every other sect of the Christian church are less true to the original faith than the Catholic church.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:49 PM

88,680 posts, read 84,998,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Catholics believe in Christ, therefore they are indeed Christians. As a matter of fact they were the original Christians and every other sect of the Christian church are less true to the original faith than the Catholic church.
Actually, I think the Greek Orthodox Church would beg to differ, but I agree that Catholics are Christians. They might not be an acceptable brand of Christian to sola scriptura Christians, but that fight's been going on for milennia.

Regarding the topic, a member of the writing group I used to belong to was a Haitain woman who wrote her critique piece on Voodoo (or Vodoun). One thing that struck me was her description of the initiation into the Vodoun religion. The initiates put on white robes, had a ritual bathing, and then raised their hands in supplication to the Loa (spirits) to come upon them.

Sounded like Baptists to me!

Old 11-12-2009, 11:07 PM

19 posts, read 26,664 times
Talking Catholics

You may want to reconsider the statement about the Catholics being the first christians!

The Roman Empire had dominion over the Jerusalem people as did King Nebuchadnezzar, Medo-Persia and the Greeks. All the empires except the Roman Empire were destroyed by the next one in succession. The Roman Empire was never defeated, it was broken up into ten countries, seven are still with us today. Remember the ten toes and the three ribs?

During the division, the Roman Empire changed its agenda to the Holy Roman Church! This took place between the years of 300-400AD. As everyone knows the original church started around 60AD. The early church never had but one High Priest (Yahshua) which was also the sacrificial lamb without spot or blemish. The Priest Hood that is in operation today came from Nimrod's days and is still with us today.

Yes there was the Priesthood from the Levites as ordained by Yahweh to perform the temporal sacrifice for sin's, but never cleared the conscious. That is why the old covenant was replaced by the new covenant which brought in the law of faith that gives life and also removed the Priesthood.

Yes some still practice the Priesthood, without understanding.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,061 times
does anybody know anyone who practice vodoo in nc or sc

Old 02-17-2010, 12:36 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,408,136 times
I was raised Catholic. Until I was seven years old I went only to one Catholic church or another. Then my mother divorced my father and was excommunicated, not allowed to attend mass in a Catholic church. So, we'd go to Protestant Churches after that. One week a Presbyterian, the next an Episcopalian, etc., but neither of us could get used to it. No other churches, no other masses hit the spot for us, and we couldn't figure out why. Until one day we were walking home from an especially dull, bland mass, by Catholic standards, and she said, "I think we miss the music, the incense." We finally realized how beautiful the Roman Catholic mass was, the pageantry, the sights, the sounds, and the smells of the Catholic mass. The fact that most masses were said in Latin at that time only added to the mystery. Voodoo may be going a bit far, but I don't think it's at all by accident that Catholics produce an intoxicating ambience.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:43 PM

815 posts, read 1,545,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidGoodknight View Post
I fear that you may missed a few details in your studies! Currently and by no means am I claiming expertise in this field, religion, or study I am taking an Anthropology course with an emphasis on World religion of the Old World so to speak! Voodoo happens to be the topic of my final thesis paper in this class! Voodoo much like every religion in existence today is but, a reflection of its true former roots and humble beginnings! Yes within every culture there is a dominate religious practice, doctrine, or belief structure; However within each of those dominate religions you will find commonalities with various beliefs and practices! You made reference to how could you claim to be Islamic and praise Allah if you worship Jesus Christ and made the statement that you could not the two do not go together! The fallacy in this statement and the provocation to suggest further education in this matter can be found in the Koran! Jesus Christ is not only mentioned but revered in the same light as Mohammad the Islamic prophet! In the Christian Bible they tell the story of Abraham who bore a son named Issac who in turn gave birth to the many nations of Christianity. As well in this story they spoke of a maid to Sarah (Abraham's wife) by the name of Hagar.Abraham took this woman as a mistress for at the time his wife seemed unable to bare him children! This Mistress gave Abraham his first born son Ishmael! Ishmael and Issac did not get along and Sarah (Abraham's wife) grew jealous of Hagar so she with the knowledge of the feud between Ishmael and Issac had Hagar and her son cast out! This is where the story of Hagar and Ishmael ends in the christian bible but, the Koran continues it! Hagar traveled across the desert dying from thirst, hunger and the elements and abandoned her son unable to bare watching him suffer! The child of course cried until God heard his cries and sprung forth from the desert a spring to quench his thirst and fruit to stave off his hunger and sent an angel to Hagar to tell her to return to her child for like his younger brother Issac he would be the father of many nations. The nations God's angel spoke of were the many nations of Islam or by the religions name Muslims. The Muslims by the orthodox practice recognize and acknowledge their connection to Christians and refer to them in the Koran as their brothers born from the same Grandfather Abraham! Furthermore the name Allah in Arabic, translates quite literally in English to "THE GOD" further aligning themselves with the Christians! Now back to the religion of Voodoo! Voodoo was developed from slaves of the European slave colonies in Haiti that were transplanted from Africa. These slaves in the midst of their misery turned to their beliefs for comfort, reason and explanation as all humans have a tendency to do during times of strife. With the many cultures,ethnic and religious back rounds in close proximity to each other the various religious beliefs started to mix and swirl together along with the Haitian and European influences Voodoo was born! This religion is not of pure origin it is instead a variation of various religions complied together from African, Haitian and European heritage taking aspects of all the beliefs from those cultures including pagan religions from West Africa as well as many aspects of Catholicism or Judeo/Christianity!

Excerpt from (AFRICAN HOLOCAUST - The history of Africa restored)

"However, since slavery included stripping the slaves of their language, culture, and heritage, this religion had to take some different forms. It had to be practiced in secret, since in some places it was punishable by death, and it had to adapt to the loss of their African languages. In order to survive, Voodoo also adopted many elements of Christianity."

I mean no disrespect but, I feel that if someone is going to share their personal point of view, it should be shared as such... A point of view, and not attempt to be passed off as fact, with claims of knowledge and study when clearly there has been no such investigation just opinion passed through hearing half truths or stories, receiving biased information from religious practitioners of various faiths or morals passed on from ignorance in family superstitions.
That!?? There can be in the USA a sorcery has come from Africa. But at us each dog knows that sorcery (Kol/dun and Shaman) Existed since the Stone Age.
98 percent of holidays, and "a sacred Trinity ". Christians have stolen at Slavs. Сelebrate these ancient holidays and rituals .
Yes. Christians sing "pagan" songs and holidays . All Christian sacred people - analogues of ancient , ceremonies and knowledge . It is the fact.

Last edited by eloy; 03-23-2010 at 02:15 PM..

Old 05-26-2013, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 928 times
When the Roman Church first started they some of practice voodoo, That i know for sure because of my Theology teacher and preist said it . When The African Americans traveled from Africa during Slavery . There Native one of there Native religions was Yoruba . when they got here to the U.S they start trying to connect Christianity with Voodoo . They do believe in God. they use those figures and dolls for representation for things like Catholics use when they pray. (NOT TRYING TO COMPARE). The Catholic church did practice it for a while but not for dark reasons i dont think. Most of the Native Religions from Africa was inspired by Catholic Church. MOST OF YOU ARE RIGHT ON SOME POINTS BUT OTHERS ARE NOT. YOU SHOULD RESEARCH IT AND SEE HOW Voodoo IS CONNECTED TO THE CATHOLIC FAITH. I KNOW A GOOD AMOUNT ON IT BECAUSE I HAD TO WRITE A 10 PAGE PAPER FOR IT IN MY THEOLOGY CLASS. JUST RESEARCH IT AND YOU WILL BE AMAZED AT THE RESULTS. BECAUSE I KNOW I WAS

Old 05-26-2013, 10:49 AM

995 posts, read 957,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidGoodknight View Post

Excerpt from (AFRICAN HOLOCAUST - The history of Africa restored)

The Jesus in the Koran and the Jesus in the NT are 2 completely different people. You cannot worship the Jesus in the Koran and the one in the Bible, as they differ in the most profoundest of ways. The Jesus in the Koran is a man who made it look like he was crucified, but never was, the Jesus in the Koran is NOT the son of God, making the Jesus in the Bible out to be a liar for considering his God as the Father many times over. Having faith in the NT is a capitol crime in Islam, as believing in the NT is an insult to Muhammad, who claims to know that Jesus was otherwise what the NT says about him. The Koran is antichrist, anti-Semite, anti-all other religions, anti atheist....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality