Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 12:09 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,309,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Exactly!
Identify and being a Christian are two different things.

People are identifying voodoo worship with Christianity, but they don't have the identification (fact) of being a Christian.

How can someone say that they are Christian, but serve another god?

That would be like me saying that I serve allah, but I worship and believe in Jesus. The two don't match.

Voodoo has nothing to do with Christianity. I'm not looking down on people who worship voodoo, but the two are not the same.

I also don't look down on other religions or another faith. People who are not educated on religion or other peoples faith have a tendency to try to group certain religions together that should not be.

Is everyone who does not believe in God an Atheist? I don't think so, but someone else might say other wise.

I am very familiar with voodoo because my church goes to Africa and they do not have anything to do with Christianity. Christians and the voodoo doctors, (some are called witches) are waring with Christian to this day.

But there are some who practice voodoo and try to combine it with Christianity, but they are not Christian.

I feel that people should better educate themselve about other religion, so they will have a better understanding. I educate myself about other religions and faith, so I will have a better understanding if I come in contact with another person of another faith or religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 12:26 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,955,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
I feel that people should better educate themselve about other religion, so they will have a better understanding. I educate myself about other religions and faith, so I will have a better understanding if I come in contact with another person of another faith or religion.

What is the point in you educating and having a better understanding of other religions, if your end motive is to tell those of other faiths that they worship the devil, are worshipping false Gods or are going to Hell if they reject Jesus (a man) as their personal savior. Studying other religious faiths is of little benefit if one's own religion teaches that other religions are invalid or inferior to their own.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
What is the point in you educating and having a better understanding of other religions, if your end motive is to tell those of other faiths that they worship the devil, are worshipping false Gods or are going to Hell if they reject Jesus (a man) as their personal savior. Studying other religious faiths is of little benefit if one's own religion teaches that other religions are invalid or inferior to their own.
The reason that I study other religions is because God wants me to be familar with them. For example for things like this. When people try to compare or group a particular faith with another, then I will know if they are telling the truth or not. By me teaching and educating myself I will also be aware when someone around me believe in another faith and how I can respect the person and their belief. I may not worship their god but I can still show them respect by not doing certain things that are disrespectful to their faith.

I don't learn about other faiths to beat them over the head with the bible or to comdemn them. There is a thing called kertasy and being respectful to other peoples beliefs.

If you was to come in contact with someone who is muslim, buddhist, atheist, catholic, would you even know what to say and not say to that person. You may say something to offend them and not really know it.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:04 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,522,980 times
Also, a lot of people are forced into their religions by parents, culture, etc but they have no real commitment to their religion and are searching for something else. In conversing about other religions, people are able to show others a more amicable way, one that may be more conducive to their lifestyle and commitment level.

So thanks dorado0359 for bringing up the issue and allowing Christians to set the record straight.

Old 03-14-2009, 03:13 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,469,596 times
Christianity and voodoo are very different indeed, but people were able to blent them together and the final "cocktail" suited them better then each ingredient separately. Such mix is part of many religions and belief systems.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Christianity and voodoo are very different indeed, but people were able to blent them together and the final "cocktail" suited them better then each ingredient separately. Such mix is part of many religions and belief systems.
I don't argue that, because their are people today that still mix certain faiths together to suit their needs. But the OP was trying to say that the two are similar and that because people who practiced voodoo and mixed ChristianiTy, called them Christians,

WHICH THEY ARE NOT.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:50 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,469,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
I don't argue that, because their are people today that still mix certain faiths together to suit their needs. But the OP was trying to say that the two are similar and that because people who practiced voodoo and mixed ChristianiTy, called them Christians,
WHICH THEY ARE NOT.
No, there is no similarity between the two. They originate from total different sources and were practiced by totally different peoples. But if the OP insists, who am I to disagree?

Old 03-14-2009, 07:13 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,955,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
No, there is no similarity between the two. They originate from total different sources and were practiced by totally different peoples. But if the OP insists, who am I to disagree?
The OP does not "insists" anything, but only quoted what what appeared in wikipedia. Clearly there are similiarities between the two. Read for yourself .

Liturgy and practice:

"Vodou ceremony, Jacmel, Haiti.After a day or two of preparation setting up altars, ritually preparing and cooking fowl and other foods, etc., a Haitian Vodou service begins with a series of Catholic prayers and songs in French, then a litany in Kreyòl and African "langaj" that goes through all the European and African saints and lwa honored by the house, and then a series of verses for all the main spirits of the house."

Last edited by dorado0359; 03-14-2009 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: ...

Old 03-14-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
The OP does not "insists" anything, but only quoted what what appeared in wikipedia. Clearly there are similiarities between the two. Read for yourself .

Liturgy and practice:

"Vodou ceremony, Jacmel, Haiti.After a day or two of preparation setting up altars, ritually preparing and cooking fowl and other foods, etc., a Haitian Vodou service begins with a series of Catholic prayers and songs in French, then a litany in Kreyòl and African "langaj" that goes through all the European and African saints and lwa honored by the house, and then a series of verses for all the main spirits of the house."
You are quoting things that are not true. Just because they have a alter does not make them similar to Christianity or ritually preparing and cooking foods. Confusion is a persons worst enemy.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:35 AM

1,113 posts, read 2,522,980 times
Quote:

Liturgy and practice:

So what? So, Satan likes Catholic prayers. That does not make them Christian. There is a difference between Catholicism and Christianity anyway. When they start singing "the old rugged cross" in their vodou ceremonies then I might be impressed. Until then, they still remain a bunch of counterfeits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality