Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 04:30 AM

655 posts, read 921,646 times

Advertisements

I have no idea for sure if there is life after death. Unfotunately there is only one way to find out. I'm hoping I don't have to find out for quite some time to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 06:19 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,203,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
we might have different beliefs and that's ok
According to you, you're physically experiencing things while you meditate, don't you? Or you BELIEVE that you see, feel and experience that you do?

Which would it be??

Everyone believe differently, nothing is universal. For me, to believe is to see, hear, touch and experience for myself, otherwise it's just nothing but wishful thinking.

Last edited by ShepsMom; 07-18-2008 at 07:30 AM..

Old 07-18-2008, 07:00 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,465,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
According to you, your physically experiencing things while you meditate, don't you? Or you BELIEVE that you see, feel and experience that you do?

Which would it be??

Everyone believe differently, nothing is universal. For me, to believe is to see, hear, touch and experience for myself, otherwise it's just nothing but wishful thinking.
It is totally physically and metaphysically too, it takes years of practice to go deeper and deeper, the first thing you start noticing is the cosmic energy that gives you life and consciousness, it feels like an electric current, or like thousands of tiny ants walking around, it starts in the spine, but then the feeling grows stronger and you feel it in the rest of your body too.

in the other experiences I guess some faith is involved because without it, you could believe that it's just the power of your mind playing tricks with you, or that there is some aditional explanation to these phenomena, this is the reason why I said it is ok if we believe different things, we are here to share experiences and beliefs, not to try and convert others but what I like of meditation is that, it is the most effective way to scientifically experience God and religion. the hypothesis is that God exists and a hidden spiritual kingdom exists, your body is your lab, meditation techniques are the experiments, and the results are the experiences.

In my case I do believe that energy posesses consciousness, and that consciousness can arrange the energy to create bodies of light these body of light is "inside" the physical body and it's the life behind it, otherwise it'd be nothing but innert matter, behind this is a body of light there is another one composed of just willpower and consciousness , a person who lost his physical body due to natural death, is then in the astral plane, willing, thinking, feeling and experiencing things using the 2 remaining bodies and their instruments of perception, our limited physical senses aren't designed to perceive the astral plane or people inhabiting it, but people who is currently residing it can "see" us and feel our vibrations, people who are currently resting in the astral plane eventually will start to wish more physical experiences unless the consciousness has been freed from those desires, if this isn't the case eventually the energy body will just enter the physical plane again and will reincarnate.

Love and Light!

Old 07-18-2008, 09:48 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,025,900 times
To say there is no life after death is just as "faith based" and those who believe in it. You just really don't know one way or the other. The is no way, at this time, to have a definite answer to this question.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:22 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,034,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
To say there is no life after death is just as "faith based" and those who believe in it. You just really don't know one way or the other. The is no way, at this time, to have a definite answer to this question.
There's no evidence for a life after death though, so ther's no point in professing ignorance. It's like if I told you that there were such a thing as invisible vampires, you would have no problem saying that there are no invisible vampires and it wouldn't take faith to say that. It's the same with the afterlife. The notion of an afterlife is unfalsiable and undetectable and there's no evidence to support it, so the probability of there being an afterlife is so improbable that it is more rational say that there is no afterlife.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:53 PM

67 posts, read 210,243 times
There could be something after death, but I don't think it's a conscious state. I think it's like sleeping, maybe dreaming.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:56 PM

8,419 posts, read 16,277,912 times
The afterlife, like God, has nothing to do with what we believe.
It either is or it isn't.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:05 PM

9 posts, read 21,181 times
I was watching a documentary on Stephen Hawking's "Universe formula" not too long ago that put an interesting spin on the after-life question in my mind... I think it's this formula:

I don't understand quantum physics at all but according to the documentary what this formula does is basically summaries the universe, one formula that answers every mathematical equation we can imagine.

Getting to the point it also tells us a bit about black holes. According to this formula the mouth of black holes are basically huge swirling vortexes of heat and energy that lead to no where, and if a person were to enter through the mouth of a black hole, from the perspective of someone watching from a safe distance we would see the person entering the black hole basically evaporate into particles because of the massive heat and pressure of the environment, HOWEVER from the perspective of the person entering the black hole, they would have no awareness of this evaporation process what so ever, they would simply enter through the hole remaining in tact and conscious.

I understand that makes almost no common sense at all but that's what the formula states, that a person can be both alive and dead at the same time. Obviously that's a hard concept to swallow but no one in the world of science which is full of skeptics have found a flaw in the formula as yet, and I think it's going on 15-20 years now.....

I think it's an interesting scientific perspective on the possibility of an afterlife...
Attached Thumbnails
Do you believe in life after death?-formula.gif  

Old 07-19-2008, 11:05 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,025,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
There's no evidence for a life after death though, so ther's no point in professing ignorance. It's like if I told you that there were such a thing as invisible vampires, you would have no problem saying that there are no invisible vampires and it wouldn't take faith to say that. It's the same with the afterlife. The notion of an afterlife is unfalsiable and undetectable and there's no evidence to support it, so the probability of there being an afterlife is so improbable that it is more rational say that there is no afterlife.
It is not ignorance to profess something that has never been proven, now if it were proven that life, in some form or the other, does not continue after death, and one still believes it does, then this is ignorance. Your point is called "having a closed mind", to refuse to accept that it is possible, because it has not be proven otherwise, is ignorance itself.
Science accepts the possibility until proven otherwise, this is how discoveries are made. To just flat out deny something is impossible because you have made up your mind on the matter, based on nothing is ignorance. You don't accept it as a "matter of fact" but you do give a "possibility", then you follow the possibility until it is proven to be true or false.

Old 07-19-2008, 01:02 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,034,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
It is not ignorance to profess something that has never been proven, now if it were proven that life, in some form or the other, does not continue after death, and one still believes it does, then this is ignorance. Your point is called "having a closed mind", to refuse to accept that it is possible, because it has not be proven otherwise, is ignorance itself.
Science accepts the possibility until proven otherwise, this is how discoveries are made. To just flat out deny something is impossible because you have made up your mind on the matter, based on nothing is ignorance. You don't accept it as a "matter of fact" but you do give a "possibility", then you follow the possibility until it is proven to be true or false.
If someone says that it is impossible that there is no afterlife and say that there is no possibility of an afterlife, then that would be closed minded, although if someone holds a simple disbelief, saying that,'there is no afterlife, but it is possible that there is,' which is what most atheists will do. The concept of god and the afterlife are also immune to disprrof, they're conveniently undetectable, there's absolutely no way to test if they're true or false because it's an argument from authority.
Professing ignorance means to suspend judgement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality