Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 08:44 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yydanay515 View Post
You must be the "mud."

NOTE: The above is humor not intended to hurt or belittle anyone.
Probably so! However, lest anyone think I have something against my Creator, I don't. I do have something against the story. I believe it actually puts God in a very bad light, (besides, any good Baptist, if not other fundamentalist Christians, know it's a no-no to gamble! LOL!). But then, there are a number of stories in the Old Testament that aren't too flattering to our Creator's character, (bears eating teasing little children, at the behest of an angry bald prophet, plagues that kill first-born children, and purported "commands" to kill everything and everyone in sight, as "chosen" people come into [ahem, invade?], a promised land, come to mind). But, that's just me, I guess!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 09:12 PM

553 posts, read 567,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
Probably so! However, lest anyone think I have something against my Creator, I don't. I do have something against the story. I believe it actually puts God in a very bad light, (besides, any good Baptist, if not other fundamentalist Christians, know it's a no-no to gamble! LOL!). But then, there are a number of stories in the Old Testament that aren't too flattering to our Creator's character, (bears eating teasing little children, at the behest of an angry bald prophet, plagues that kill first-born children, and purported "commands" to kill everything and everyone in sight, as "chosen" people come into [ahem, invade?], a promised land, come to mind). But, that's just me, I guess!
Well I'm sure he might be quite upset folks took a picture of his "bad" side.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:33 PM

17 posts, read 33,362 times
I’ve found a Midrash about Iyov (Job) even more interesting then the story itself. Pharaoh had a dream and asked the advice of his chief counselors Yisro, Bilam, and Iyov (Job).

Biliam interpreted the dream that the Jewish people would destroy Egypt. He advised casting the Jewish babies into the river. He was wicked, he meets a bad end.

Yisro reminded Pharaoh that whenever they tried to harm the Jews it backfired. He also reminded him of the debt of gratitude they owed Yoasaif. He saw Pharaoh was displeased and left for Midyan. He was righteous, he becomes Moses’s father in law.

When Pharaoh asked Iyov (job) advice he remained silent. So Pharaoh implemented Biliam’s plan. Was Iyob (job) wicked or righteous?

Old 06-24-2008, 10:19 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,228,825 times
Originally Posted by Yid613
Quote:
Was Iyob (job) wicked or righteous?
It depends on the betting rate?

All kidding aside, it is a given that only a coward would not speak his mind and remain silent and only an opportunist would give the advise he believes the pharaoh would want to hear.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:04 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,193 times
Well, I think Job was used to illustrate to Christians the need to keep believing even during times of suffering. No one suffered more than Job.

Also, the Devil had to ask Gods permission to affect Job. God had a hedge around Job.

Those who do not know the Lord belong to the devil so I suppose he doesn't have to ask Gods permission to afflict them?

Old 06-25-2008, 02:49 PM

553 posts, read 567,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post

Also, the Devil had to ask Gods permission to affect Job. God had a hedge around Job.
Forgive me Jenn, but this statement is mindboggling. Satan had to "ask God's permission???" Why did God give permission? What if he said "no?" Did he want to say "no" or was he trying to feed his ego to prove a point to Satan? I find it disturbing.

Quote:
Those who do not know the Lord belong to the devil so I suppose he doesn't have to ask Gods permission to afflict them?
So what about the atheist who is never afflicted, but the Christian who is?

Old 06-25-2008, 03:19 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,017,257 times
Job was very tough or very brainwashed...the story of Job reminds me of those Christian words that "God will never give you more than you can handle" (I have paraphrased). I do not believe this...if it was true, then people would not commit suicide. They have been given more than they can emotionally or mentally handle. It amazes me that Job didn't just pull the plug...but then again, I think it's another allegorical story.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:22 PM

244 posts, read 393,180 times
The story of Job is simply more proof that a loving and just God as depicted in the Christian Bible doesn't exist. Might does not make right, even for deities.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:54 PM

23,012 posts, read 34,372,809 times
Job learned when nothing else was left he had God and that was enough and its enough for me too.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:26 PM

2,595 posts, read 4,439,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
I admire the strength of Job's faith, in this story, but I have serious questions about God making wagers over Job, and with his purported enemy, no less! If I found out that someone who claimed to love me, was making bets on whether or not I'd fold under intense pressure, I don't think I'd take it too kindly. And, I should hope that God would already know if someone loved him, more than they loved their material possessions, without such a hideous "test" as poor ol' Job was put through! God is supposed to be omniscient. Oh, nevermind; I forgot, it's not for his benefit, it's for ours. At least, that's what I remember being taught in church. As if life isn't tough enough without God "testing" folks, just to make things more spiritually educational, for crying out loud!
I don't know why every one thinks that God made a bet with Satan, because he didn't. Remember that God just said to Satan "Consider my servant job". I think that God was proud of him.

Satan then had to twist God's hand to let him aflict Job. So, God is in control, not Satan. I think that this is the biggest lesson in this text. Satan can only do what he has be given permission to do. Sometimes this permission comes from God sometimes it comes from us.

We also must remember that Satan is Lucifer. He was among the highest ranked angels in heaven. He lead the worship of God. Satan's problems began when God made man in His image out of dirt, yet set him over every angel. I think that is why Satan fell, because he was too proud to be under us humans. I think God in all this was making a point to Satan that these humans can be faithful and righteous like Job even though they are made of dirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality