Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 05:26 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,560,365 times

Advertisements

LBSer, I wholeheartily agree with what you posted. It is truely sad that "Christians" would turn away from God because of the book of Job. It is one of my favorite books also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 06:10 PM

553 posts, read 569,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBSer View Post
this is definitely a rude awakening to me. to know that job's story made former christians turn back from God. coz they REALIZE something. it only proves that each person has their own interpretations of things. job's story actually is my fave coz MY interpretation is: ALL things in this world are only borrowed from GOD, we do not own anything in this world. as we all know, when we die.. no matter how powerful, rich you are.. you can not take your power and material posessions to the grave.

so some people who turned away from God coz of this story is because what? you feel entitled to have ALL the best all the good things while you are living in FAITH under God's protection? that you are angry that God made you suffer? but Christ our Savior Himself has suffered. you all know the passion of the Christ story of course.. and HE LET IT HAPPEN TO HIM. so im just boggled to no end why you seem angry at what God let misfortunes after misfortunes happen to his most faithful, favorite servant... in which by the end... HE gave them back to job anyway... if not doubled.

are you sour coz he lost his family? everybody dies. are you sour he lost everything he worked so hard for? that is life my friends... the only constant is change.

im just sad to know that for me the MOST inspiring story of the bible is the end of faith for the former christians.
That's all fine and dandy LBSer, but I think you and some others are missing one of the most important points being made here. The whole ordeal started because what amounts to nothing more than a bet. God boasts about Job, Satan scoffs at the praise and God gives him permission to go blast Job and make his life a living hell. There is no indication at this point in the story Job needed to learn a lesson here. In fact he is praised for being the most righteous man around and that makes him a target. Keep in mind that Satan was not paying attention to the man. God is who points him out.

If you don't see anything wrong with this, well I don't know what is. Now suffice it to say, it is my STRONG opinion the story is nothing more than just that, a story: a story designed to deal with the age old perplexing question of why good people suffer. In fact, rarely does anyone even consider who was in heaven recording this whole dialog between God and Satan which implies it is nothing more than a story. You can sense that the story is missing these all important words at the start:

"Once upon a time..."

Old 06-26-2008, 07:06 PM

389 posts, read 1,987,967 times
the book of Job SERVES its purpose on me. too bad it backfire on you. like i said to each his OWN interpretation. the bet part of the story is immaterial to me. how Job took/accepted this test from God IS. How God quadrupled back or is it seven times fold made it all up to job is what i see. it is not as if he was doomed till the end. IT WAS IN FACT A VERY HAPPY ENDING. IN LIFE WE LOST loved ones too, we have our ups and downs.

Satan has tried to lure Jesus the Lord Himself... to turn back on the greatest sacrifice known to man.. HIS crucifixion... HE CHOSE TO SUFFER to save mankind.

if the God betting with Satan at the expense of Job is a BIG deal to you.. well tough luck.. it is NOT to me.

u chose to focus on the betting part of the story.. i chose to focus on how job handled this unimaginable suffering and remained faithful to his God.. and has been rewarded in the end.

Last edited by LBSer; 06-26-2008 at 07:14 PM..

Old 06-26-2008, 07:13 PM

553 posts, read 569,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBSer View Post
if the God betting with Satan at the expense of Job is a BIG deal to you.. well tough luck.. it is NOT to me.
Yes sir/maam!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality