Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2022, 05:05 PM

9,370 posts, read 13,038,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
I think the better distinction is that Nazis might have espoused these positions but not explicitly as an expression of their religious identity. Some (if not all) of these same attitudes and actions can be ascribed to other clearly Christian groups over the course of history, and WERE an expression of religious identity. The Crusaders were clearly driven by their religious label and murdered lots of people etc. Same with the perpetrators of the Inquisition.
I think this is fair to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Do you have a problem with Jews?
He very clearly does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
What an interesting question. What made you ask that?

It's unfair to lump all Jews into one category. I evaluate individuals, not groups.

Many Jews believe in Christ. Unfortunately most do not, and of course that is problematic. That said, not that it's any of your business but no I do not have a personal problem with any Jew.
So you like the Jews who converted to mainstream Christianity or engage in that Messianic cos-play nonsense, such as Robert Novak and David Brooks? Schmucks, all of them. You can have them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
You think that somehow I am projecting onto the Crusaders the label of "murder"? You are claiming that somehow the behavior of the Inquisitors was not murder and only receiving that label because I consider their behavior murder but others don't?

That does speak volumes. As to irony, no, it isn't ironic and if you are trying to prove a case by citing a text that holds no value to me, your claim fails on both the semantic and textual level.
I’m going to say it’s okay to make that “projection” (which is not really a projection, but a fair extension of the views espoused in his post, not to mention an accurate reflection of history) given everything that’s happened to our people in the name or at the hands of Christianity (whether incidental or otherwise).

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
Hitler literally said that he wished Germany had a different religion as true Christianity makes people pacifists, which goes against the notions of the Nazis.

Some historians argue that Hitler had a delayed plan to eventually eliminate Christianity from Germany:

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/13/w...pagewanted=all
That’s true, and I think it partially stemmed from the (unfortunately, all too few, but certainly vocal) Christians who spoke out against the Nazi regime in the name of Christianity. Hitler was content to exploit the Catholic and Lutheran church institutions to help do his bidding to the extent that it could (and did) win over the hearts and minds of his “Aryan” countrymen. But he did view Christianity (at least as Christianity is supposed to be practiced) as a weak religion that did not suit his notion of societal paradise.

Quote:
Not at all! I'm an apologist (generally speaking) for both the Crusades and the Inquisition.
I know you say a lot of things for shock value, and I’m not certain how much of it you actually believe. But if you truly think the Crusades and Inquisition are defensible in any way, that’s not just insane but evil. And “evil” isn’t a word I toss about lightly.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 11-15-2022 at 05:16 PM..

Old 11-15-2022, 05:47 PM

50,960 posts, read 24,459,082 times
Quote:
Who gave you the authority to declare what is and what is not of God?
It's called stating an opinion. And if you're an American I would hope that you believe in freedom of thought and freedom of speech.

Old 11-15-2022, 05:48 PM

15,895 posts, read 6,360,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It's called stating an opinion. And if you're an American I would hope that you believe in freedom of thought and freedom of speech.
He's projecting.

Old 11-15-2022, 07:48 PM

13,687 posts, read 8,001,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Mine was a legitimate question.

I am an American by birth, but a Catholic first and foremost. Insofar as the American civic religion contradicts Catholicism (and much of it does), then I reject it.

Old 11-15-2022, 08:03 PM

16,722 posts, read 15,724,119 times
Quote:
Mine was a legitimate question.

I am an American by birth, but a Catholic first and foremost. Insofar as the American civic religion contradicts Catholicism (and much of it does), then I reject it.
There is no such thing as an American civic religion. Our government has no religion. That is a very good thing.

Old 11-15-2022, 08:08 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,030,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
We got a Catholic on here right now using the scriptures against people. No matter if you get there by genetics like Hitler or the thought police like Christainty it still is saying some people are superior to others. Some people go to heaven (or paradise earth) and some people go to hell (or get destroyed by Armageddon). Hitler murdered people. He couldn't torture them forever in hell.
Hitler fate is already sealed and he is in hell.

Old 11-15-2022, 09:14 PM

63,929 posts, read 40,202,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
<snip>
I know you say a lot of things for shock value, and I’m not certain how much of it you actually believe. But if you truly think the Crusades and Inquisition are defensible in any way, that’s not just insane but evil. And “evil” isn’t a word I toss about lightly.
What you need to understand about EscalaMike is that he DOES believe the Crusades and the Inquisition are defensible and have been mischaracterized primarily because he believes they were in fact directed by or mandated by God! His views are definitely evil and dangerously anachronistic. He actually believes the Dark Ages of Christendom were an ideal societal framework! There is no projection needed whatsoever!

Old 11-15-2022, 10:29 PM

22,377 posts, read 19,294,705 times
Quote:
What an interesting question. What made you ask that?
It's unfair to lump all Jews into one category. I evaluate individuals, not groups.

Many Jews believe in Christ. Unfortunately most do not, and of course that is problematic. That said, not that it's any of your business but no I do not have a personal problem with any Jew.
so you are saying you have a problem with Jews who do not believe in Christ.

a bigoted view is one that is "prejudiced against or antagonistic toward a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular group." the view expressed in the post above is a bigoted view. towards a particular group. that is clearly identified.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 11-15-2022 at 11:02 PM..

Old 11-15-2022, 10:38 PM

22,377 posts, read 19,294,705 times
Quote:
You don't need a "them", it's just a fact of reality.
Humans oppose one another and have competing interests.
no. not all of them do. the above is not a fact, it is an opinion. which is being used as an excuse. and a rationalization.
not all humans "oppose."
and not all religions "have competing interests."
only those religions that claim their way is the only way (supremacists).

supremacist is "the belief that a particular group, especially one determined by race, religion, or sex, is superior and should therefore dominate society."

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 11-15-2022 at 10:52 PM..

Old 11-15-2022, 10:51 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,030,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue29 View Post
And you know this, how?
Rulers who die in their sins will face the ultimate punishment, eternity in hell.

Sadly only a minority of churches in Germany during Nazi rule were opposed to Nazism. Only a small minority were, and they paid the price such as being sent to concentration camps or murdered. Plus only a small minority spoke against the persecution of dissidents such as the Jews at that time. Of course if they were protecting and hiding Jews, then it could mean the ones protecting the Jews would be sent to concentration camps or murdered. Few Christians in Nazi Germany were willing to risk their lives to protect the Jews.

For a majority of Germans , their livelihoods and the well-being of their families were simply a much higher priority than a group who represented a tiny fraction of the population and who was constantly demonized as a “dangerous threat.”

Last edited by herenow1; 11-15-2022 at 11:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.