Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2022, 08:21 AM

51,041 posts, read 24,544,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
In English, German, Greek and Chinese.

The problem is not with the meaning of the adjective 'eternal', it is with the fact you have not shown your premise is true.

Note, this is about logical problems. Subjective values about art and music are irrelevant.

None of the below is the problem. It is your assertion that "consciousness is eternal" has no evidence for it that is the problem.
Harry, you have to believe it cuz she said so.

Old 05-03-2022, 10:48 AM

63,993 posts, read 40,277,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
it's not about agreeing or disagreeing.
if something is eternal it does not have a start.

the very definition of eternal is has no beginning and no end.

not talking about brains, or consciousness or transformation or embryos or life or death or born, set all that aside. just talking about eternal. logic and the most basic simple understanding of eternal dictate that if something is eternal it does not have a start.

what do you think eternal even means. in and of itself.
look at the actual definition: "having no beginning and no end" "always existing" "without beginning or end"
plain and simple. there is no "starts with" for that which is eternal. nothing to do with theology. just the bare bones basics of what the word means.
Let's not play semantic games based on ancient ignorance. Our Reality is eternal and has no beginning (as far as we know) but it would be the ONLY eternal that has no beginning. Something that becomes part of our GROWING and expanding Reality would have no ENDING which would still make it eternal for all intents and purposes.

It is definitely about agreeing or disagreeing because neither of us actually KNOWS. What you and CB believe requires that we throw out everything we know from science and experience. You and CB are willing to do that by ignoring how Reality functions to accept the creative (but imaginary) definitions of the ancients but I am NOT!

I have an adequate explanation for the difference between experienced time (as measured by our consciousness emerging during quantum time) and the source of quantum time itself (the creative advance) to put the lie to your "time does not exist" premise. Growth (or expansion) can NOT exist without time and that is NOT dependent upon any individual consciousness of it.

Old 05-03-2022, 06:30 PM

65 posts, read 35,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Like why is it such a hotly debated topic, reincarnation?

My guess is because some people do want peace of mind after death, they don't want to put themselves thru another run of physcological torture from life

On the other hand though, nothingness after death makes no logical sense at all, because then how is the energy from the body and the soul supposed to transfer itself? Where is the remnants gonna go?

Kinda like when a computer dies, it really doesn't just die, some of the CPU memory can still be found in the hard drive

Funny thing though I've seen more atheists be challenging of reincarnation than even hardcore evangelical Christians, despite only 27% of them believing in reincarnation

Plus if nothingness after death is the case, how do we trust then all these written history to be true? I mean how do we hunter gatherers existed? Maybe they're just made up mythological creatures we use to cope with the fact with the fact we don't how humans came to be, right?

Granted with the way things are heading I can also understand why somebody would not want to believe in reincarnation, environmental pollution, radical politics, hyperinflation

But humans are meant to thrive in adversity I would argue anyways
Reincarnation is utter fiction. The "soul", likewise.

Old 05-03-2022, 07:38 PM

22,629 posts, read 19,342,932 times
Quote:
what do you think eternal even means. in and of itself.
look at the actual definition: "having no beginning and no end" "always existing" "without beginning or end"
plain and simple. there is no "starts with" for that which is eternal. nothing to do with theology. just the bare bones basics of what the word means.
the question asked in post 75, and shown above, is simple and clear. i don't see an answer in the response below.
all i asked is one question, just to answer what a single word means to you, "what do you think the word eternal means, in and of itself." period. full stop. that is all that is being asked. " just the bare bones basics of what the word means."

that single question is not addressed by the items named in bold below: semantic games, ancient, reality, growing, expanding, intents, purposes, agreeing, disagreeing, knowing, believing, ignorance, science, experience, throwing out, ignoring, how reality functions, imaginary, consciousness, advance, quantum anything, creative, growth, source, individual, or measured.

just asking what a single word means to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Let's not play semantic games based on ancient ignorance. Our Reality is eternal and has no beginning (as far as we know) but it would be the ONLY eternal that has no beginning. Something that becomes part of our GROWING and expanding Reality would have no ENDING which would still make it eternal for all intents and purposes. It is definitely about agreeing or disagreeing because neither of us actually KNOWS. What believe requires that we throw out everything we know from science and experience. You and CB are willing to do that by ignoring how Reality functions to accept the creative (but imaginary) definitions of the ancients but I am NOT! I have an adequate explanation for the difference between experienced time (as measured by our consciousness emerging during quantum time) and the source of quantum time itself (the creative advance) to put the lie to your "time does not exist" premise. Growth (or expansion) can NOT exist without time and that is NOT dependent upon any individual consciousness of it.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 05-03-2022 at 08:06 PM..

Old 05-03-2022, 10:00 PM

63,993 posts, read 40,277,921 times
Quote:
the question asked in post 75, and shown above, is simple and clear. i don't see an answer in the response below.
all i asked is one question, just to answer what a single word means to you, "what do you think the word eternal means, in and of itself." period. full stop. that is all that is being asked. " just the bare bones basics of what the word means."

that single question is not addressed by the items named in bold below: semantic games, ancient, reality, growing, expanding, intents, purposes, agreeing, disagreeing, knowing, believing, ignorance, science, experience, throwing out, ignoring, how reality functions, imaginary, consciousness, advance, quantum anything, creative, growth, source, individual, or measured.

just asking what a single word means to you.
Eternal simply means lasts forever whether or not it had a beginning. It is possible for something that has a beginning to last forever making it eternal just as much as your preferred exclusive nonsense using the ancient definition about no beginning that pretends that anything with a beginning must end. That is utter nonsense.

Old 05-03-2022, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Eternal simply means lasts forever whether or not it had a beginning. It is possible for something that has a beginning to last forever making it eternal just as much as your preferred exclusive nonsense using the ancient definition about no beginning that pretends that anything with a beginning must end. That is utter nonsense.
You and I have our differences, but at least we agree -- I think -- that too much desire to dwell on what I call "woo". A little woo is fine, but to constantly seek the woo as some kind of evidence is, I think, unwise. The other thing that I am often reminded of is that definitions must be taken with a grain of salt. I see this in Buddhism as people try to transfer exact meanings from Pali (and Thai) to English, and that is often impossible. Our born again poster is probably going to come along and, as he always did, accuse me of being attracted to woo myself. Guilty as charged...to some extent. Part of the question is what one does with woo. I look at nature and I don't see anything (that I can think of) that we could call eternal. Species sometimes thrive and then die out. Mountains are weathered and eroded away. Things change. That's not to say that there can't be something eternal, but the evidence for that is...absent...other than by opinion.

Old 05-04-2022, 03:06 AM

22,629 posts, read 19,342,932 times
Quote:
thank you for clarifying what the word eternal means to you.
i see that we are using different dictionary definitions for the word eternal.

you may disagree with a dictionary definition.
but that does not make a dictionary definition "nonsense" or "pretend"

i find it strange, and not rational or logical, for anyone to label standard mainstream dictionary definitions (i.e. Oxford Languages, Brittanica,etc.) as "nonsense" and "pretend"

Also, it is inaccurate to call it "ancient definition." It is a current definition, and it is in current use. The very first page of hits online for "eternal definition" shows Oxford Languages, Dictionary.com, Collins English Language, YourDictionary.com, The Free Dictionary, and Brittanica. In those dictionary listings, the very first definition shown is the one you reject. Clearly it is a definition in current usage. And it is NOT designated in any of those dictionary listings with the label archaic (which would indicate out of use in present day English). So no it is not an "ancient definition."

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 05-04-2022 at 03:22 AM..

Old 05-04-2022, 07:21 AM

16,120 posts, read 7,114,850 times
Quote:
Name one thing that has a beginning/origin that does not have an end. Your over the top annoyance and abuse over this simple concept only reveals how aware you are about your mistaken premise. Come into the light and be peaceful.
Is God eternal?

Old 05-04-2022, 08:25 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,633,691 times
I think it polarizing for irrational people on both sides.

People in the middle understand that people's traits repeat. Especially in the same family. If a brain state has parts that are in the configuration of a brain state in the past, it will be very close to the same type of person.

I don;t do the soul thing.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:43 AM

Quote:
thank you for clarifying what the word eternal means to you.
i see that we are using different dictionary definitions for the word eternal.

you may disagree with a dictionary definition.
but that does not make a dictionary definition "nonsense" or "pretend"

i find it strange, and not rational or logical, for anyone to label standard mainstream dictionary definitions (i.e. Oxford Languages, Brittanica,etc.) as "nonsense" and "pretend"

Also, it is inaccurate to call it "ancient definition." It is a current definition, and it is in current use. The very first page of hits online for "eternal definition" shows Oxford Languages, Dictionary.com, Collins English Language, YourDictionary.com, The Free Dictionary, and Brittanica. In those dictionary listings, the very first definition shown is the one you reject. Clearly it is a definition in current usage. And it is NOT designated in any of those dictionary listings with the label archaic (which would indicate out of use in present day English). So no it is not an "ancient definition."
Definitions are useful, but never tell the whole story.

You can show me the dictionary definition of eternal. A sentence or two. If that's all eternal is, is that sentence or two, then you might as well be quiet because there is nothing more to say.

Further, dictionary definitions don't verify that something is true or accurate. Does the definition of "poltergeist" mean that poltergeists are real? I can find a definition of voodoo. Does that mean that you will then become a follower of voodoo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.