Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2022, 10:15 PM

51,041 posts, read 24,544,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
So the cycle of karma?
What do you think karma is?

Old 04-13-2022, 10:59 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,729,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Could you give us a link to that?
A specific link? Ok I will dig that up right now

Old 04-14-2022, 02:12 AM

Quote:
What do you think karma is?
Karma is the cycle of suffering, from one suffering to another

That's a simplistic definition, but understandable nonetheless

Old 04-14-2022, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Could you give us a link to that?
Well I tried the best I could, here's one link of evidence

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20...ter-death.aspx

Old 04-14-2022, 03:33 AM

I will say one thing though

I firmly believe in the cycle of karma. Like, if you're having a tough life currently, is best to use your fortitude of your currnt life to set a greater impact on the world, than to indulge in hedonism.

I am using my grand belief in reincarnation to actually fulfill a prophecy of mine, one of my dreams was to open up a center for child abuse victims, makes sense as I am one myself

I also sometimes get WW2 dreams in very vivid detail too, I ehen had dreams of dying on the battlefield before.

Old 04-14-2022, 05:09 AM

88,786 posts, read 85,187,768 times
Quote:
Well I tried the best I could, here's one link of evidence

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20...ter-death.aspx
That says nothing about people feeling sensations in their bodies two weeks after they were dead.

And how would anyone know this? How many bodies are kept around that long? And if they WERE, for some kind of scientific experiment, how would anyone be able to tell what a dead person "felt"?

Those has to be one of the most bizarre claims ever made.

Old 04-14-2022, 06:58 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,076,292 times
Quote:
They could also come from non human animals too.
You think animal life is shrinking by the same proportion?

Old 04-14-2022, 08:28 AM

19,127 posts, read 27,743,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Because it's illogical?

The world population is growing nonstop. There is an exponentially larger number of people alive now than 1000 years go. Where do all the souls come from?

This is a very linear and mechanical understanding of how re existence works.
Re existence is a complex event that, requires multiple conditions to come into a focal point on Earth, for that to occur. To satisfy requirements for that "soul" Destiny conditions to re exist. It is not that one's body dies and then, he is automatically reborn right away. Does not work that way.
"soul" is in the realm, that is beyond the physical and temporal and, to that "soul" passage of what is called earthly, or physical, time, is irrelevant. It can be in that state for eons of the human "time".

Also, BF, you presume that "supply" of souls started several thousand years ago and that's all there is to it. While, in reality, humankind was on ever changing Earth crust for eternity and, as such, "supply" is tremendous and, for what it is, there is not enough bodies available, to fulfill their destiny.

As re existence is the process of cleansing of the "soul" through earthly experiences and through its interactions with others, with some of those "relationships" between them running through multiple re existences.

Hence, strictly numeric understanding of re existence, less in - more out = illogical, does not apply here.

What does apply is that, unfortunately, as catastrophic conditions on Earth may appear, more "souls" have ripe conditions for their return to the earthly education process, called life. It, unfortunately, only shows, how little progress "souls" have on their path.

Old 04-14-2022, 09:15 AM

20,118 posts, read 13,574,564 times
Quote:
I firmly believe in the cycle of karma. Like, if you're having a tough life currently, is best to use your fortitude of your current life to set a greater impact on the world, than to indulge in hedonism.
On what planet would "indulging in hedonism" be a rational response to difficulties in life? Or some sort of alternative to attempting to transcend problems?

I mean some people DO avoid engaging with life in various ways that might include pleasure-seeking but I think even those would not claim it's any sort of actual solution, simply an avoidance mechanism, if you caught them in a moment of honesty. But you are discounting the LARGE number of people who attempt to systematically overcome their problems. As if the only choice is between relying on god or smoking weed.

And one can make an excellent argument that relying on an invisible being (or an alleged cosmic mechanism like reincarnation) for aid is just another avoidance mechanism in itself!

I think sometimes the religious and even the spiritual try to create this false dichotomy between believing in some asserted truth vs off-the-rails self-indulgence. Maybe it involves some projection, IDK.

Old 04-14-2022, 09:19 AM

51,041 posts, read 24,544,958 times
Quote:
Karma is the cycle of suffering, from one suffering to another

That's a simplistic definition, but understandable nonetheless
That a definition. Not all Buddhists see it that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.