Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2022, 07:28 PM

22,163 posts, read 19,213,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I Hope the lurkers will search your information, Tzaph, but I am more than familiar with it. I have explained WHY time is an illusion as we experience it and measure it. That does not mean that the SOURCE of the "creative advance" that our measured time is derived from is illusory. It seems the illusion that our consciousness is instantaneous and unrelated to the activity in the brain necessary to experience it is widespread. But there is nothing instantaneous, period, our tendency to consider our consciousness instantaneous notwithstanding. If you still do not understand the difference between what we call time and the "creative advance" that is its source, read Alfred North Whitehead. For an analogy of the issue this presents to our use and perception of time. our consciousness is like a video camera on the moon during the quantum time (creative advance) recording our bringing that very video camera to the moon. What is confusing is that we experience it as our current Reality (as playback) in our experienced and measured time. If this is not comprehensible consider it the reason we will never agree about consciousness.
there is only the present moment.
all we ever can experience is the present moment.

it does not get any more instantaneous than that.
all we ever inhabit is this moment. this instant.

there is nothing you can ever do, and no place you can ever be, except utterly and completely in the present moment.

Old 05-05-2022, 07:35 PM

Instantaneous: existing or measured at a particular instant.
instant: a precise moment of time.

the only instant there is, is this precise moment of time you are in right now.
you can never experience anything ever, in any other instant than right now.

you can never be in any other moment of time.
because there are not any other moments of time.

Old 05-05-2022, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I Hope the lurkers will search your information, , but I am more than familiar with it. I have explained WHY time is an illusion as we experience it and measure it. That does not mean that the SOURCE of the "creative advance" that our measured time is derived from is illusory. It seems the illusion that our consciousness is instantaneous and unrelated to the activity in the brain necessary to experience it is widespread. But there is nothing instantaneous, period, our tendency to consider our consciousness instantaneous notwithstanding. If you still do not understand the difference between what we call time and the "creative advance" that is its source, read Alfred North Whitehead.

For an analogy of the issue this presents to our use and perception of time. our consciousness is like a video camera on the moon during the quantum time (creative advance) recording our bringing that very video camera to the moon. What is confusing is that we experience it as our current Reality (as playback) in our experienced and measured time. If this is not comprehensible consider it the reason we will never agree about consciousness.
neither space nor time is a fundamental property of the universe

if you are going to bring the phrase "creative advance" into a conversation, then you are going to need to summarize or explain what it is in your own words, no links, ordinary language.

Old 05-05-2022, 08:58 PM

And how does "no time" relate to Reincarnation, the topic of this thread?

What it means, is that our different "lifetimes" our different "incarnations" are not linear and sequential one after the other,
but rather they are simultaneous. they are all occurring at the same time. They are all going on right now.

Old 05-05-2022, 09:48 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
there is only the present moment.
all we ever can experience is the present moment.

it does not get any more instantaneous than that.
all we ever inhabit is this moment. this instant.

there is nothing you can ever do, and no place you can ever be, except utterly and completely in the present moment.
I agree that time does not exist, but it would be impossible for our world (as we know it), to function without any recognition of time, that is a bit of a problem the way I see it, but Im not sure what the alternative is for us?

Old 05-05-2022, 09:51 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:

What it means, is that our different "lifetimes" our different "incarnations" are not linear and sequential one after the other,
but rather they are simultaneous. they are all occurring at the same time. They are all going on right now
Its nearly impossible to explain this to someone, unless they really learn to 'think outside the box'. without recognition of 'time', the world as we know it ceases to exist, everything, and I mean, EVERYTHING would drastically change the moment we stop recognizing time. I dont think its even possible for us.

Old 05-05-2022, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I agree that time does not exist, but it would be impossible for our world (as we know it), to function without any recognition of time, that is a bit of a problem the way I see it, but Im not sure what the alternative is for us?
but our world is existing just fine.
the world does not change in any way, because we recognize that time is invented.

it is a way of organizing schedules, and coordinating activities.
it is useful in that sense.

Old 05-05-2022, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Its nearly impossible to explain this to someone, unless they really learn to 'think outside the box'. without recognition of 'time', the world as we know it ceases to exist, everything, and I mean, EVERYTHING would drastically change the moment we stop recognizing time. I dont think its even possible for us.
the world does not change at all.
the world does not cease to exist.

the only thing that changes is our perception and how we experience the world.

Old 05-06-2022, 06:47 AM

Quote:
What it means, is that our different "lifetimes" our different "incarnations" are not linear and sequential one after the other, but rather they are simultaneous. they are all occurring at the same time. They are all going on right now.
How can they all be going on right now? How can i be in more than one place simultaneously? How can i only know what is going in this lifetime and not the other simultaneous lifetimes? Those are the questions that arise, and they are reasonable questions about how does that work. how does reincarnation work; in a framework of no time, no past, no future, only this moment we are in now.

and yes it asks a person to think outside the box, and it is not something many are comfortable with, to step outside of linear.

Old 05-06-2022, 04:01 PM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Correct, there is no time.
There is only NOW, and infinitely small instance in Reality. That reality is what we created by our thinking. Without human thinking, there is no reality, as, there is no one to perceive it and, there is no design given to Substance, to coalesce it into Matter, everything physical is shaped out of.
Space is not a feature of reality. Space is universal container for everything, our cosmos space included.
Events, occurring in reality, have two features - consecutiveness and cyclicity. One event always leads to another and so on. All events run in cycles, just at different levels of complexity.
What we are referring to, as time, is anthropomorphic depiction of changes in relationships between the celestial bodies.
Idea, that there is no time, in Newtonian terms of mechanical physics, is slowly precipitating into the science. Too many PhDs were made off it to just drop and abandon this notion. Also, it is most convenient and, was created out of convenience. Pre mechanistic people didn’t have concept of time. They used natural phenomena to plan their lives. I’ll see you at sunset. I’ll be there when first rooster will crow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.