Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2022, 04:54 AM

16,315 posts, read 7,240,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And that is exactly the problem with "woo". I don't mind a belief in "woo". Have some of my own. But I don't claim them to be fact and don't try to convince others to believe in them. It's up to them if they believe it or not.
You are so perfect. Perfection master. If only everyone was like you …

Old 05-11-2022, 07:55 AM

29,689 posts, read 9,884,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Nobody on CD is disagreeing about any of those areas listed above. Nobody on CD is disputing those.

bold above, that's fine.
i'm just pointing out is a double standard to label your own views as "truths"
while dismissing the views you disagree with as "claims"

they are all just views-opinions-beliefs, which a reader agrees with or disagrees with.
Uhh..., come again?

This is exactly my point. Nobody disputes or disagrees with what we all can easily accept as facts, truth, and those facts and truths are the only facts and truths I recognize as such.

ALL the rest are views, opinions or beliefs that can't in any way be declared facts or truths in any similar way. Again and again, this is the rather BIG difference between what I recognize as facts and truths (as we all do) rather than what other people claim to be facts and truths that are really just their personal beliefs.

Again, again and yet again, my "Ten Truths" were an attempt to address these differences, beginning with my Truth #1. My effort to explain and justify my opinion about these distinctions and how best we humans should go about dealing with them.

Old 05-11-2022, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
You are so perfect. Perfection master. If only everyone was like you …
What a childish thing to post...

Very sad and concerning that anyone think it's to be "perfect" simply to make clear what are facts and truth versus all the many alternative claims that can't in any similar way be established as facts or truth. That's not perfection. That's just a want to simply understand and make clear what are our shared universal truths, in peace and harmony, rather than disguise what are actually personal beliefs with unfounded and unjustified claims they are facts or truths. In part to avoid all the friction, disagreement and disharmony -- controversy -- that comes from all those competing personal claims. Personal beliefs. That's all.

Old 05-11-2022, 08:01 AM

22,875 posts, read 19,504,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Uhh..., come again?This is exactly my point. Nobody disputes or disagrees with what we all can easily accept as facts, truth, and those facts and truths are the only facts and truths I recognize as such. ALL the rest are views, opinions or beliefs that can't in any way be declared facts or truths in any similar way. Again and again, this is the rather BIG difference between what I recognize as facts and truths (as we all do) rather than what other people claim to be facts and truths that are really just their personal beliefs. Again, again and yet again, my "Ten Truths" were an attempt to address these differences, beginning with my Truth #1. My effort to explain and justify my opinion about these distinctions and how best we humans should go about dealing with them.
and readers recognize that the list of 10 items is your 10 views, opinions, beliefs. your 10 claims.
NOT facts. NOT "facts and truths." NOT "facts and truths that nobody disputes or disagrees with."

they fall smack dab in this category, using phrase in post above: ALL the rest are views, opinions or beliefs that can't in any way be declared facts or truths in any similar way. They are, again using description from post above, they are really just your personal beliefs. They are again to use a label you paste on others, they are claims which you make.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 05-11-2022 at 08:11 AM..

Old 05-11-2022, 08:51 AM

Quote:
and readers recognize that the list of 10 items is your 10 views, opinions, beliefs. your 10 claims.
NOT facts. NOT "facts and truths." NOT "facts and truths that nobody disputes or disagrees with."

they fall smack dab in this category, using phrase in post above: ALL the rest are views, opinions or beliefs that can't in any way be declared facts or truths in any similar way. They are, again using description from post above, they are really just your personal beliefs. They are again to use a label you paste on others, they are claims which you make.
I must say, either you are entirely stubborn and insistent to repeat this regardless my explanations, or you just really can't comprehend what I have explained about this so many times. I don't know how many times I have explained this specifically to you, but too many times now. Yet you bounce this sort of comment back as if you never read even one of those explanations, or you have a serious comprehension problem, or as I most highly suspect, you truly want to be difficult and argumentative.

Maybe a bit of all the above, but I'll try one more time, and then I'll have to give up...

I wrote those Ten Truths many years ago. Originally Nine Truths back when I was still in college. Sometime after taking a religious studies class. I never thought the title would get so much attention other than perhaps to draw the reader into considering my views, opinions and beliefs about all I wrote then.

I eventually posted "My Ten Truths" in this forum, and I have explained all this many times since. You are one of the few people if not the only person who's entire focus is on the title rather than consider the merit of the views, opinions and beliefs I thereby express. Views, opinions and beliefs I happen to feel are very well justified and worth considering far beyond what seems your ability or willingness.

Though I should probably pay you far less attention as a result of your argumentative compulsion and refusal to accept this explanation, I keep trying, because it is rather frustrating to have you forever getting all of this so wrong. Frustrating, because I have to believe you really cannot be so intent on being this unreasonable and incorrigible. Or if you are, I'll make this comment my last attempt to overcome what can't be overcome.

Last edited by LearnMe; 05-11-2022 at 09:02 AM..

Old 05-11-2022, 08:57 AM

16,910 posts, read 5,092,606 times
Quote:

Many of them are valid. Perhaps you should look at your posts before simply dismissing things you do not like.

Old 05-11-2022, 09:01 AM

Facts. Truth. That which we all generally accept as such. The only facts and truth I put forth as such.

Opinions, views and beliefs (including mine) that cannot be classified or justified in any similar way should not be claimed to be anything other than opinions, views and beliefs.

The distinction between facts and truth versus opinions, views and beliefs is important and should be made clear if the question at hand is regarding the truth of these matters.

Regardless my mistakes and shortcomings along these lines, namely the title of the thread in which I put forth my opinions, views and beliefs, the importance of making these distinctions stands, if the question at hand is the truth of these matters.

Furthermore, it is just as important if not more so to explain and/or justify the merit of one's opinions, views and beliefs. If the goal is to distinguish opinions, views and beliefs that are more valid than those that are not. Valid and with merit if the question at hand is the truth of these matters.

Old 05-11-2022, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Many of them are valid. Perhaps you should look at your posts before simply dismissing things you do not like.
Thanks, but it would be refreshing to remove Tzap from this discussion for a bit. Refreshing as well to address the validity and forget about the title if possible...

Which would YOU say are NOT valid?

Old 05-11-2022, 09:06 AM

51,492 posts, read 24,844,572 times
Quote:
I must say, either you are entirely stubborn and insistent to repeat this regardless my explanations, or you just really can't comprehend what I have explained about this so many times. I have explained this specifically to you I don't know how many times, and yet you bounce this sort of comment back as if you never read even one of those explanations, or you have a serious comprehension problem, or as I most highly suspect, you truly want to be difficult and argumentative.

Maybe a bit of all the above, but I'll try one more time, and then I'll have to give up...

I wrote those Ten Truths many years ago. Originally Nine Truths back when I was still in college. Sometime after taking a religious studies class. I never thought the title would get so much attention other than perhaps to draw the reader into considering my views, opinions and beliefs about all I wrote then.

I eventually posted "My Ten Truths" in this forum, and I have explained all this many times since. You are one of the few people if not the only person who's entire focus is on the title rather than consider the merit of the views, opinions and beliefs I thereby express. Views, opinions and beliefs I happen to feel are very well justified and worth considering far beyond what seems your ability or willingness.

Though I should probably pay you far less attention as a result of your argumentative compulsion and refusal to accept this explanation, I keep trying, because it is rather frustrating to have you forever getting all of this so wrong. Frustrating, because I have to believe you really cannot be so intent on being this unreasonable and incorrigible. Or if you are, I'll make this comment my last attempt to overcome what can't be overcome.
On the one hand, as I have indicated before, your insistence in calling them "truths" is part of the problem. Although it seems awkward, maybe they're better called "premises". On the other hand, you have explained yourself well over time in this regard. So what is the real problem? To a couple of posters in particular, there's a long-established target on your back. And, almost like a pavlovian response, you (or I) post, and they begin salivating. 'They' may not even be conscious of it (although I think 'they' are). And, to be honest, to some extent, we all fall into that trap.

Old 05-11-2022, 09:16 AM

16,910 posts, read 5,092,606 times
Quote:
Thanks, but it would be refreshing to remove Tzap from this discussion for a bit. Refreshing as well to address the validity and forget about the title if possible...

Which would YOU say are NOT valid?
It is not that some are invalid, it is that some contain points that need working on.

But not by me, I have other, important things to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality