Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 09:47 AM

6 posts, read 11,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Eeeesh, this thread is just getting creepier.

Whether you kill for a god named allah, jehovah or jesus it is still murder. It would seem illogical for god of any name to demand his followers to break one of the most serious of his own commandments. But, thats just me
Murder doesn't exist in and of itself. It's defined by the ruling authority. Be ot divine or secular. Contrary to pouplar belief, the Bible doesn't condemn the taking of any life. Taken at the whole, it defines those times when killing (what we call "capital punishment") is appropriate. All other acts of killing is condemned. So, if God is the ruling authority and He says do it, you do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 12:10 PM

2,595 posts, read 4,443,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
The real kicker is that Muslims and Christians believe in the same God.
No, not the same God! Your ignorance on the subject is appalling.

Yahweh = God of the Jews, Christianity is a sect of Judaism that accepts Jesus Christ as the Messiah (Mochiah) and the Son of God spoken of in the Law and the Prophets. Jesus' name means (YAH saves).

Allah = god of the Muslims.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:34 PM

33,568 posts, read 37,185,374 times
Yahweh..Allah....A rose by any other name is still a rose.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:56 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,574,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yydanay515 View Post
I am sure may of us are aware the bible, especially the first middle third, is filled with all kinds of gore and mayhem. The interesting thing is there is a god tossed in the mix, supposedly ordering all kinds of butchering.

When I have presented these passages to Christians and asked them to explain them to me, I have had some tell me that God, for example, ordered the extermination of the Canaanites because they were evil and their sinful lifestyles had run it course. So now my question is, if you, a Christian, lived in those days (you being an Israelite committed to God), would you have participated in the genocidal acts supposedly ordered by God via the "inspired" mouth of Moses or Joshua?
I'd like to say no but given how mob mentality works (assuming I was born male here as females were not required to participate), odds have it. Studies have been done where subjects thought they were causing pain to another person in antoher room (evidenced by screams) and most would continue, even when it was against their moral code, if egged on by those in the room.

Personally, I don't accept the bible as "THE word of God" (I know, blasphemy). I accept it as RS 100. Man's atempt to understand God. To me, those passages are mans way of making religious sense out of what happened back then for whatever reason it happened. If you kill a bunch of people and don't justify it, what are you?

I don't believe murder was commanded by God. I think it happened and religion was used to justify it happening. Like no one has EVER justified going to war

For me, there are too many contradictions in the bible for me to accept is as word for word absolute truth. I think you have to look for common themes and consider the times it was written in. I don't believe everything applies today. I have a hard time picking and choosing so I have to pray a lot about it but if verses bother me, I can put them away for a later day.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:35 PM

713 posts, read 1,958,625 times
Quote:
I am sure may of us are aware the bible, especially the first middle third, is filled with all kinds of gore and mayhem. The interesting thing is there is a god tossed in the mix, supposedly ordering all kinds of butchering.

When I have presented these passages to Christians and asked them to explain them to me, I have had some tell me that God, for example, ordered the extermination of the Canaanites because they were evil and their sinful lifestyles had run it course. So now my question is, if you, a Christian, lived in those days (you being an Israelite committed to God), would you have participated in the genocidal acts supposedly ordered by God via the "inspired" mouth of Moses or Joshua?
And who do you plan on voting for in this next up coming election?

Old 06-11-2008, 11:25 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,505,675 times
Quote:

Yes, the Old Testament can be pretty gruesome! But the Old Testament is where the Jewish people were to live by the LAW. When Jesus brought in the New Covenant - it became available to all, it is through Grace we are saved not by the Law.

God ordered the extermination of the enemies of Israel because - 1) They were vile, diseased, contaminated - right through to the babies. Who knows maybe they had some form of old testament HIV. 2) God wanted to keep Israel free from contamination of disease and moral contamination. 3) These people, worshipped idols, many false Gods they put their own children through the fire and did many disgusting things. 4) God is not just a sweet man sitting on a cloud. He is a Judge and capable of proving this.

This is why, I think, God ordered these things to be done. God loved Israel, he planned their purity, their blessing. He was protecting them.

Today, we are living in the age of Grace. God holds back his hand. Patiently he gives us many, many chances to repent of our sins. Jesus died to make a way for us into Eternal Life. We have lived in the age of Grace for so long. Muslims are still living in an age of Law. But God is still a Judge and one day he will Judge the earth. So, remember, the fear of God is the beginning of Wisdom. Don't take God's Grace for granted. God is a fearsome God an awesome God a mighty God - we are fortunate to live in this age of Grace - and it's only because we are living in this age of Grace that we forget what it must have been like in the age of LAW. You live by the Ten Commandments or else. Everyone fails - slips up, which is why the priests sacrificed the lambs/bulls for the atonement of the people. But Jesus is the Ultimate Lamb of God - and his death has atoned for all WHO WOULD TRUST IN HIM AS SAVIOUR - the choice is YOURS.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:33 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,025,193 times
If I had lived in those times as the "ME" I am now...no, I would not have participated because I would have thought it was bunk...as I do now. If I had lived then and been a brainwashed, uneducated and fearful person who did not know better, I might have done so. It must have been awfully puzzling back then to hear on one hand that God is loving one moment and wrathful the next. God needs prozac.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:20 PM

4 posts, read 9,031 times
Default Ignorance is not bliss

Jenna-Florrie you r so rite! As u can see, a lot of ppl are ignorant to God and everything pertaining to him. When you find them ignorant, you leave them ignorant, don't argue with them. It's a waste of time, you'll get nowhere!!! God's word is true, if they don't bleve it, just pray for them anyway.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:32 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,149,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post
Yes, the Old Testament can be pretty gruesome! But the Old Testament is where the Jewish people were to live by the LAW. When Jesus brought in the New Covenant - it became available to all, it is through Grace we are saved not by the Law.

God ordered the extermination of the enemies of Israel because - 1) They were vile, diseased, contaminated - right through to the babies. Who knows maybe they had some form of old testament HIV. 2) God wanted to keep Israel free from contamination of disease and moral contamination. 3) These people, worshipped idols, many false Gods they put their own children through the fire and did many disgusting things. 4) God is not just a sweet man sitting on a cloud. He is a Judge and capable of proving this.

This is why, I think, God ordered these things to be done. God loved Israel, he planned their purity, their blessing. He was protecting them.

Today, we are living in the age of Grace. God holds back his hand. Patiently he gives us many, many chances to repent of our sins. Jesus died to make a way for us into Eternal Life. We have lived in the age of Grace for so long. Muslims are still living in an age of Law. But God is still a Judge and one day he will Judge the earth. So, remember, the fear of God is the beginning of Wisdom. Don't take God's Grace for granted. God is a fearsome God an awesome God a mighty God - we are fortunate to live in this age of Grace - and it's only because we are living in this age of Grace that we forget what it must have been like in the age of LAW. You live by the Ten Commandments or else. Everyone fails - slips up, which is why the priests sacrificed the lambs/bulls for the atonement of the people. But Jesus is the Ultimate Lamb of God - and his death has atoned for all WHO WOULD TRUST IN HIM AS SAVIOUR - the choice is YOURS.
Did God not love those "enemies of the Jews"? Were they not also his children? Did he have no compassion for them? Why not have the Jews educate and help to elevate them instead of exterminating them. Sounds a little "Hitlerish" to me. Not a decision I'd think the "all-mighty, all-knowing" would or should be proud of.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:01 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,020,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post

If those people were so evil, why would god put them there in the first place-so that they would wait for their impending slaughter by god's 'chosen' desert tribe, because it was commanded to them by god. That doesn't sound very nice or loving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality