Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 12:11 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,801,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Pascal wager only works if the only choice is Christainity or lack of belief. What if you are wrong and the First Nations, Inca, Hindu, Muslims, animalistic beliefs, Old Norse etc wete right. You won't go to Valhalla and then what?

The vast majority of the Earth's population are non Christian. Most of those are believers of their own God.

If I person is not a Christian why would they believe in Satan?

If your God wants to punish me for eternally under the "crime" of not believing in him rather than my having murdered or raped then your God is extremely petty and why would anything that could create the entire universe be petty, jealous and vindictive? And how could anyone who believes in a petty and vindictive God claim he is fair, just and all loving? Looking from the outside these beliefs about your religion seems illogical and irrational. You cannot scare anyone into believing in him just to save themselves from him.
I'm probably going to answer some of your questions in a post I'm going to make to Shirina...so just...hang on....please....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2020, 12:59 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,337,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
I'm probably going to answer some of your questions in a post I'm going to make to Shirina...so just...hang on....please....
Fine but dumb it down a bit for me as I am not Shrina

Old 05-28-2020, 01:14 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,610,454 times
Quote:
I agree.

Religion is not so much about being 'controlled', but controlling ourselves, so that we don't hurt ourselves or others. Unfortunately, so many don't want to exercise self-control, because it would hinder their 'fun' if they did.

Again, I agree. We DO need rules, otherwise, there would be chaos. We may think, "Hey! There are no rules! I can do whatever I want!" But what they don't get, is that other people...others who don't want to follow any rules, can also do whatever THEY want."

Imagine being in a place where there are no rules. You hurt me, I hurt you back. Rinse and repeat for eternity...

The "believe in Jesus" is more complex than that. Did I hear this as a kid? Yup!

If you believe in ALL that Jesus taught us, why would you say that you don't believe in him?
absolutely, following teachings of jesus can be a good thing. I am more of a Sherman/lee type person, but I understand the value of Jesus's lessons. following the teachings of Jesus are a good thing weather one has heard of jesus or not. back to the original questions. Why do Christians follow other Christians that make it about jesus and not Jesus teachings?

and, the way I see it, rational atheist and rational theist are totally focused on what jesus taught weather they say "in his name" or not. and rational atheist and rational theist stop people that want to oppress or exclude people based on jesus teachings. even when that oppression is said to be "in his name."

and none of that has a deity involved that is controlling our lives. and the teachings fit how the universe works.

Old 05-28-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Pascal wager only works if the only choice is Christainity or lack of belief. What if you are wrong and the First Nations, Inca, Hindu, Muslims, animalistic beliefs, Old Norse etc wete right. You won't go to Valhalla and then what?
Let me ask you this: What if *YOU* are wrong about it? The reason...or at least ONE reason why I practice Christianity, is because it makes the most sense to me. Have I looked into Hindu, Muslim and other beliefs? Yes, I have. Have I looked into ALL other beliefs? Well, no...

BUT...

There comes a point when you decide, "this is for ME".

I can look at a wedding dress and think, "That's IT! THAT'S "The One"! It's got EVERYTHING you want, and THEN some.

I don't necessarily believe that Hindu's or Muslims are 'wrong'. In many cases, I think we believe in the same God...but not the same way...

Quote:
The vast majority of the Earth's population are non Christian. Most of those are believers of their own God.
They may be non-Christian, but that doesn't mean the they have non-Christian beliefs...beliefs overlap.

Quote:
If I person is not a Christian why would they believe in Satan?
Other denominations may not believe in satan. Satan is a deceiver... a liar...an accuser....a thief...

Gotta ask..in what way do they believe in (a) God?

Quote:
If your God wants to punish me for eternally under the "crime" of not believing in him rather than my having murdered or raped then your God is extremely petty and why would anything that could create the entire universe be petty, jealous and vindictive?
You think that the ONLY crimes that one can commit is murder and rape, and that all else is "petty"? Wow...I wouldn't want to be on the other end of one of YOUR lies or theft...or lust...

Would YOU want to be on the other end of THAT?

Old 05-28-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
absolutely, following teachings of jesus can be a good thing. I am more of a Sherman/lee type person,
I don't know who Sherman/lee is. DANG it, Arach! STOP "MAKING" me research! LOLOLOL

Quote:
but I understand the value of Jesus's lessons. following the teachings of Jesus are a good thing weather one has heard of jesus or not.
YAAY! We agree! *dances in the streets...naked...*

Quote:
back to the original questions. Why do Christians follow other Christians that make it about jesus and not Jesus teachings?
Good point. And, I also agree. But Christians* (*or at least, SOME of them....) know that since we're human, we can't all be like Jesus.

In my own personal view, I TRY to be. I know I FAIL, every day...

But at the "end of the day", I ask God...in Jesus' name... for forgiveness...

Quote:
and, the way I see it, rational atheist and rational theist are totally focused on what jesus taught weather they say "in his name" or not. and rational atheist and rational theist stop people that want to oppress or exclude people based on jesus teachings. even when that oppression is said to be "in his name."
I'm sorry, Arach. But I'm not quite sure what you mean by this....

Quote:
and none of that has a deity involved that is controlling our lives. and the teachings fit how the universe works.
Well...you already know that I don't believe in that. I've gotten way too much through prayer for me to deny what you've written.

Old 05-28-2020, 02:50 PM

19,096 posts, read 27,679,377 times
Religion is not so much about being 'controlled', but controlling ourselves, so that we don't hurt ourselves or others. Unfortunately, so many don't want to exercise self-control, because it would hinder their 'fun' if they did.

As it been said, there is no worse slave, than slave that believes he is free person. What we have just observed and observe, in current developments, when we volunteered to abolish our freedoms and put muzzles onto our faces.

What determines self control? One's mind set. One believes that he is doing the right thing by doing X Y Z. Why did he choose XYZ over A B C? Because sometime back in his life he developed a mindset that, made him to make such choice.

Look at attached.

It describes six priorities of governing a human.

As baseline, they are of 2 types. Fast and slow acting. Slow acting though, provide the strongest result while fastest acting - the weakest.

Fastest acting is 1st priority - by force. Military, police, etc. They give instant result.
One above is governing by toxins. Alcohol, narcotics, tobacco, GMO, etc. They slowly but steadily influence human mind and body.
One above it is economical priority. Money. Loans. Credit slavery.

All 3 are material priorities.

Higher above them are priorities informational. As he, who control the information, controls everything.

@#3 is ideological control. Religions. Ideologies. Mass technologies (for example, all those orange revolutions that proliferated through the world in the last few years).
@#2 is control chronological. When history is changed as it it is suited to those in control and, by doing so, humanity loses its roots and perception of continuity.
And, the highest of them all, is conceptual priority. That priority determines entire mindset, point of the world view, basic philosophy one has.

Person, brought up in such system, does not make his or her own, independent decisions or choices. What, to that person, may appear as self control, is, actually, indoctrination, rooted in such upbringing.

Again, simple example from current times. Mass psychosis resulting in voluntary self isolation, even at expense of yet to come economic collapse, and forfeit of one's personal rights and freedoms, is solely based in 2 things - fear of force (1st priority) and lack of faith in eternity of human soul(1st priority). FEAR. And, as it is known, fear is a great motivator. In such a system, where any information provided to masses, is controlled lie, to speak of conscious self control is absurd. As human is kept in the dark and makes only dark decisions.
Attached Thumbnails
Why Would Satan Seek The Destruction Of Mankind?-capture.jpg  

Old 05-28-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post

As it been said, there is no worse slave, than slave that believes he is free person. What we have just observed and observe, in current developments, when we volunteered to abolish our freedoms and put muzzles onto our faces.

Ohhhh, I see. So...what do you think that "freedom" is about? Is it about doing what we want WHEN we want, with no consequences?

If I as a woman, am walking down the street, minding my own business, should ANY man have the "freedom" to have sex with me, on the street? That may be "freedom" for HIM, but what about ME? At SOME point, does anyone else's 'freedom' override someone else's?

That's the whole idea of "do unto others". As "free" as you want to be, someone else with the same "freedom" as you could do something that you may not like...

Quote:
What determines self control? One's mind set. One believes that he is doing the right thing by doing X Y Z. Why did he choose XYZ over A B C? Because sometime back in his life he developed a mindset that, made him to make such choice.
Yeah, o.k......pffffft. You have a lot to learn...

As baseline, they are of 2 types. Fast and slow acting. Slow acting though, provide the strongest result while fastest acting - the weakest.

Fastest acting is 1st priority - by force. Military, police, etc. They give instant result.
One above is governing by toxins. Alcohol, narcotics, tobacco, GMO, etc. They slowly but steadily influence human mind and body.

Higher above them are priorities informational. As he, who control the information, controls everything.

@#3 is ideological control. Religions. Ideologies. Mass technologies (for example, all those orange revolutions that proliferated through the world in the last few years).
@#2 is control chronological. When history is changed as it it is suited to those in control and, by doing so, humanity loses its roots and perception of continuity.
And, the highest of them all, is conceptual priority. That priority determines entire mindset, point of the world view, basic philosophy one has.

Person, brought up in such system, does not make his or her own, independent decisions or choices. What, to that person, may appear as self control, is, actually, indoctrination, rooted in such upbringing.

Again, simple example from current times. Mass psychosis resulting in voluntary self isolation, even at expense of yet to come economic collapse, and forfeit of one's personal rights and freedoms, is solely based in 2 things - fear of force (1st priority) and lack of faith in eternity of human soul(1st priority). FEAR. And, as it is known, fear is a great motivator. In such a system, where any information provided to masses, is controlled lie, to speak of conscious self control is absurd. As human is kept in the dark and makes only dark decisions.

Want a bottom line? Here's one. "Do Unto Others." That's pretty much IT.

Ugly people are going to try to get around that.

Until it happens to THEM...

Old 05-28-2020, 03:34 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,380,415 times
Why Would Satan Seek The Destruction Of Mankind? OP's question

My take on that is.. Satan/Evil while prolific is still LOSING!! So, IF Leaderships such is happening right now.. goes to his strengths.. The more these Leader's pollute this world> "Better Angels" are Popping up!.. The more this goes on> the "Better Angels" are becoming more powerful!

POTUS/Putin/ amongst many Dictatorial regimes keep it up> The MORE the "Better Angels" are rising UP. These Bad Actors regardless of which Country that are trying to infiltrate with false narratives.. spreading Lies and hurtful messagings.. Will get crushed eventually > Maybe not in my lifetime

There's a heck of a lot more GOOD in this WORLD than many somehow believe. The Black and Brown folks needs to HOLD ON with American Assaultive abuses .. as there is HOPE for GOOD reforms coming!! At least that's my HOPE and Prayer!!

Old 05-28-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Let me ask you this: What if *YOU* are wrong about it? The reason...or at least ONE reason why I practice Christianity, is because it makes the most sense to me. Have I looked into Hindu, Muslim and other beliefs? Yes, I have. Have I looked into ALL other beliefs? Well, no...

BUT...

There comes a point when you decide, "this is for ME".

I can look at a wedding dress and think, "That's IT! THAT'S "The One"! It's got EVERYTHING you want, and THEN some.

I don't necessarily believe that Hindu's or Muslims are 'wrong'. In many cases, I think we believe in the same God...but not the same way...

They may be non-Christian, but that doesn't mean the they have non-Christian beliefs...beliefs overlap.

Other denominations may not believe in satan. Satan is a deceiver... a liar...an accuser....a thief...

Gotta ask..in what way do they believe in (a) God?

You think that the ONLY crimes that one can commit is murder and rape, and that all else is "petty"? Wow...I wouldn't want to be on the other end of one of YOUR lies or theft...or lust...

Would YOU want to be on the other end of THAT?

I do apologize for not listing all the crimes in either the US or Canadian criminal code. There are differences such as I being over the age of 18 can legally buy weed at a government licensed business and I also can buy a Kinder surprise. Should these be subtracted from the list of crimes and lust you claim I have? Please list some of my lies, theifs and lusts. Can't be serious thefts as I did qualify for secret clearance with the Canadian military. By lust you must mean a mind crime ad I have been totally faithful to my wife for 45 years. And 8 don't believe in thought crimes, it's not a crime until you take actions, including speaking of hate or defamation.

I have never done anything to someone I wouldn't want done to me, or excuse me that might be a lie as I once gave a driver the finger when he cut me off on my bike.

I think folks of other religions think of God in much the same way that Christians do, in other words it may vary from person to person.

If beliefs overlap why label them Christian? Many of your Christians beliefs predate Jesus and Christianity so maybe you have Jewish beliefs. And still no reason for me or anyone to accept Pascal wager. The cost for me in accepting it would be to live a dishonest life in forcing me to believe in something that I don't. I prefer to be honest with myself and with others, including yourself. As Christainity does not make sense to me accepting it would also not make sense.

In conclusion I don't believe in its a risk not being a phony Christian. If I die and you are correct that a very petty God is going to punish me forever and ever simply because I didn't believe in him so be it. Much better than pretending to be something you are not in this one life you have. As well not a single word in your post lead me to believe that there is any reason to become a Christian if that was your intention.

Old 05-28-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:

Want a bottom line? Here's one. "Do Unto Others." That's pretty much IT.

Ugly people are going to try to get around that.

Until it happens to THEM...
So you believe trying to slow down the speak of a dangerous virus that is deadly to the elder and immune impaired people is not a good deed. Talk about a total lack of emphathy towards others and gross selfishness. Sure hope you don't work in a nursing home. Maybe it's that type of thinking that puts the States as the number one country with over 100 grand dead and probably most of them were not so eager to die as you are. Where is your emphathy, kindness, love and respect for your fellow citizens.

This makes your Pascal Wager make a bit more sense to me, not the wager but your accepting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality