Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2022, 12:53 PM

20,371 posts, read 13,782,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
To put it more simply, it's based on two concepts:

"Cuz 'I'/ 'we' said so" and "or go to hell".
Yes, or "because the Bible says so" or more exactly, "because I say the Bible says so", since anything a Christian claims the Bible says can be happily refuted by other Christians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2022, 01:01 PM

51,665 posts, read 25,013,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Yes, or "because the Bible says so" or more exactly, "because I say the Bible says so", since anything a Christian claims the Bible says can be happily refuted by other Christians.
Good clarification.

Old 04-14-2022, 01:03 PM

3,640 posts, read 1,508,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
And to those who believe in all Gods being the one God, then punishing those who believed in religions other than Christianity makes nosense if the one Hod is fair, loving and just.

Not sure how other religions deal with this, but I, as a Catholic, don't believe that God condemns people of other religion, unless your religion involves slaughtering people. They are just "misinformed" and that will be a judgment call by God and most likely won't involve any harsh punishment provided the person has lived a good life. "Good life" meaning their actions were good and of good intent. NOW, let's say you were baptized as Catholic when you were a baby and then willfully changed to a different religion when you are an adult, then you have freely chosen to abandon your faith and that might not be good. But again, it's up to God.

The one thing that is emphasized to me a lot by priests is that there are DEFINITELY people in heaven and purgatory, but we don't know if anyone truly is in hell (except for the devil himself, of course). We don't really know if God has really punished anyone for eternity, but we certainly don't want to take that chance.

Old 04-14-2022, 01:15 PM

51,665 posts, read 25,013,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Not sure how other religions deal with this, but I, as a Catholic, don't believe that God condemns people of other religion, unless your religion involves slaughtering people. They are just "misinformed" and that will be a judgment call by God and most likely won't involve any harsh punishment provided the person has lived a good life. "Good life" meaning their actions were good and of good intent. NOW, let's say you were baptized as Catholic when you were a baby and then willfully changed to a different religion when you are an adult, then you have freely chosen to abandon your faith and that might not be good. But again, it's up to God.

The one thing that is emphasized to me a lot by priests is that there are DEFINITELY people in heaven and purgatory, but we don't know if anyone truly is in hell (except for the devil himself, of course). We don't really know if God has really punished anyone for eternity, but we certainly don't want to take that chance.
You don't even understand what you're saying.

Old 04-14-2022, 01:32 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,393,014 times
Quote:

Help me ubderstand you. If a baptised Catholic becomes an Anglican or of United Church of Canada are they considered having abandined their faith or is that for turningbto a non Christian religion?

Old 04-14-2022, 01:38 PM

64,189 posts, read 40,756,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
However he did not learn one way to not make a light bulb one thousand times.

Old 04-14-2022, 02:17 PM

64,189 posts, read 40,756,225 times
Quote:

The bold really hurts my heart. The Christian religious leaders have badly misinterpreted and misunderstood the clear and truly unambiguous Divine Revelation and demonstration of God's True Nature of agape love and forgiveness by Jesus (God Himself) on the Cross. They have spread and perpetuated our ignorant primitive ancestors' barbaric interpretation of it using their beliefs about a wrathful and vengeful War God.

As Jesus unmistakably revealed under unambiguous life and death circumstances, God has NO such wrath or vengeance in Him and NEVER has had. God does NOT change, but our beliefs about Him certainly SHOULD have after over two millennia!!! Shame on you all for accepting primitive ignorance instead of the Direct Personal Divine Revelation of God's True Nature Jesus provided at the expense of His human body and life!!!.

Old 04-14-2022, 02:28 PM

3,640 posts, read 1,508,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The bold really hurts my heart. The Christian religious leaders have badly misinterpreted and misunderstood the clear and truly unambiguous Divine Revelation and demonstration of God's True Nature of agape love and forgiveness by Jesus (God Himself) on the Cross. They have spread and perpetuated our ignorant primitive ancestors' barbaric interpretation of it using their beliefs about a wrathful and vengeful War God.

As Jesus unmistakably revealed under unambiguous life and death circumstances, God has NO such wrath or vengeance in Him and NEVER has had. God does NOT change, but our beliefs about Him certainly SHOULD have after over two millennia!!! Shame on you all for accepting primitive ignorance instead of the Direct Personal Divine Revelation of God's True Nature Jesus provided at the expense of His human body and life!!!.
No no no, you misunderstood. God does not wish anyone to hell. In fact, we strongly wants EVERYONE to be in heaven with Him! But it is US that chooses to abandon him and chooses to go to hell. So God does not send anyone to hell; we send ourselves there. That is why he gave us free will. It is our choice whether we want to use our free will to follow or walk away from Him.

Old 04-14-2022, 03:03 PM

3,841 posts, read 3,058,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You don't even understand what you're saying.
You’d need to a Catholic, or talk to a Priest to understand these ideas and the lingo used.
Catholics are not into Bible literalism, unlike how many low church Evangelical Protestants are.
You won’t hear many Catholics raving on about “the narrow gate”, “I never knew you”, “false prophets” etc.

Old 04-14-2022, 03:35 PM

20,371 posts, read 13,782,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
You’d need to a Catholic, or talk to a Priest to understand these ideas and the lingo used.
Catholics are not into Bible literalism, unlike how many low church Evangelical Protestants are.
You won’t hear many Catholics raving on about “the narrow gate”, “I never knew you”, “false prophets” etc.
Maybe so, but it's logically inconsistent to claim that god doesn't condemn people of other religions but that he might at least condemn a Catholic who joins another religion.

If that's Catholic teaching then it's incoherent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality