Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 05:21 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,655,607 times

Advertisements

Defending every personal viewpoint without allowing another to respond is the act of an insecure person. Having to accuse in order to be right or accusing another of making others wrong is based in fear. The act of projecting one's personal insecurities on others is a human trait. The astute listener can detect exactly what needs to be healed when a person is defending their right to be through using these means.
It is not appropriate to volunteer to assist in correcting this type of behavior in another. The offer will always be met with further justifications of why that person is right. This precarious situation can only be corrected when the speaker's internal self-rejection and self-criticism is confronted and healed by that individual. To offer advice or methods to heal this type of self-hatred is a waste of energy. The healing will occur in its own time and is between the individual and the Great Mystery. The healing occurs when the person defending with words makes a conscious choice to change the insecure, self-important "I", making a partnership with the Creator to the eternal "WE".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 05:27 PM

545 posts, read 2,043,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahteist2 View Post
We are told often that we are to respect the views and opinions of others, even when they are crazy and especially when it comes to faith. Which is amazing to me, that faith is even held a value at all.

1. Christians want us to respect their views, or do they want us to ADOPT their views? For example christians are doing all they can to STOP any form of gay marriage, but why?

Or perhaps no beer on sunday, or what ever other law you can mustard up that restricts, limits or prohibits any behavior based on religious values.

Now, if they say "respect" out beliefs, let us believe what we want, do not try to change us, and all that stuff. Then why cant the afford the curtiousy and keep their morals and values out of our faces and off our law books ?

Let the gays get married if they want to, after all I am sure no gays are trying to make christians be in gay marriages.

2. If I am to respect their beliefs, then should I also be able to walk down the street, answer my door or turn on my TV with out some nut job trying to convert me to the newest fade church down the block. Or being screamed at that I am going to hell ?

3. Or, being told what I believe. Christians are always saying not to generalize them. Not to tell them what they believe, yet that is what they do with atheist all the time. And are NEVER correct in their assumptions.

So, if we are to respect them and their beliefs, why dont they do likewise.

This is one of the reasons I see religious people as hypocrites and no I do not respect their beliefs, only their right to have them.
REPLY: You have a misconception. Its not that Christians are wanting you to be like them and follow them...its that Christians are desirious of you following God and being like him. You see, God represents everything that is good, proper, moral, and love..and if you follow God you will be in HIS will and have a much better life and eternity if you accept Christ for complete payment of your sins. It is good and right to stand against immorality and perversions to Gods standards and morals...and even if they occur within a church. Human Beings want to live life thier OWN way and to do as THEY wish and if they are caught up in something like homosexuality...instead of admitting it is a wrong behaviour and seeking help to overcome it, it is easier to demand others accept it and to round up fellow homosexuals in support of thier lifestyle. That isnt the correct way to deal with it ; the homosexuals know its wrong intrinsically, but its always easier to deny and blame others for not accepting thier lifestyle . Real followers of God do not accept perversion and make allowance for it ; instead they encourage the Perversionist that its wrong , that theres help out there, and that many people have gotton thier sexuality worked out and are experiencing a proper God ordained heterosexual lifestyle. So remember, its not Christians that are the standard...its the Creator who is . Hope that helps.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:41 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,083,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IbeDavid View Post
REPLY: You have a misconception. Its not that Christians are wanting you to be like them and follow them...its that Christians are desirious of you following God and being like him. You see, God represents everything that is good, proper, moral, and love..and if you follow God you will be in HIS will and have a much better life and eternity if you accept Christ for complete payment of your sins. It is good and right to stand against immorality and perversions to Gods standards and morals...and even if they occur within a church. Human Beings want to live life thier OWN way and to do as THEY wish and if they are caught up in something like homosexuality...instead of admitting it is a wrong behaviour and seeking help to overcome it, it is easier to demand others accept it and to round up fellow homosexuals in support of thier lifestyle. That isnt the correct way to deal with it ; the homosexuals know its wrong intrinsically, but its always easier to deny and blame others for not accepting thier lifestyle . Real followers of God do not accept perversion and make allowance for it ; instead they encourage the Perversionist that its wrong , that theres help out there, and that many people have gotton thier sexuality worked out and are experiencing a proper God ordained heterosexual lifestyle. So remember, its not Christians that are the standard...its the Creator who is . Hope that helps.
The topic is about respecting each other's views....
if a Christian approaches someone they know doesn't believe in God, and tries to "spread the word"...then they are disrespecting that persons views.
Would you feel comfortable if I, as an Atheist felt the need to approach every Christian and try to convince them of my views?

Old 04-24-2008, 05:51 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,454,332 times
wow, a lot to cover since yesterday.

ok. to start, no, i'm not thinking of entering into homosexual marriage (post 14). i doubt that my wife would much care to try and understand my logic for that. plus, i'm straight anyway. my comment was that my judgment was currently running through the tumbler. that's all. i believe it morally wrong, logically wrong, and also religiously wrong. does that mean that i hate gays, or try to put them down? according to you, yes (post 25). because you seem to think that it is impossible for someone to respect something that they don't believe in.

where else did we go? you seem to think that my belief is that life sucks and then we die (post 25). i really don't know how you came to that conclusion, as i was stating that life sucks *if* we don't take the time to notice the positive. do you really want to refute that?

who said you were unhappy? no one. i was not implying that you were unhappy. but, i was implying that you would be a healthier individual if you did (assuming that your fault here, if any, is pessimism) try to notice the good in people. this is not a judgment. it is just an observation--works for everyone.

i may not say it to them, but i think it at them. what are you referring to? i was saying that there is more in common than there is different. i think that you are referring to earlier statements about disrespecting beliefs that you don't share. so you are saying that if you don't believe in it, you will think bad things about it whether you say them out loud or not. if that is the case, it says a lot about you, not me. i find it pretty easy to respect other people. i also find it pretty easy to respect other people's beliefs. i never claimed that i respect *all* of them. suicide cults are not something that i would qualify as a 'normal', healthy, legal belief. if it is going to harm someone, i am not going to pat them on the back and wish them good luck.

but respecting another's beliefs is actually pretty easy if you walk into the situation with any kind of humility and kindness. i have friends among pagans, christians, muslims, sikh, jews, atheists, and agnostics, and probably others that i am forgetting, and i enjoy learning of their religions and cultures. they are fascinating to me. and, despite what you think, a true christian does respect others' beliefs. again, barring abuse and crime, there is truth to be had everywhere, even in minute amounts, and it is our job to focus on the good and try to encourage its growth, rather than try to squash the whole thing.

but again, if you are of the opinion that this is impossible, it says more about you than me.

if i have forgotten something, which is certainly the most likely case, i'll be sure to write again.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:58 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,190,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
The statement on child molestation, sex with animals, and the list goes on is a sign you don’t know any gays as people. I think it is you who needs to get out of your box and see the world as it is.
This is really funny...when did I make a statement on child molestation, sex w/ animals, etc.? My box? I've probably seen more of the world than you in my 20 some years of life.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:58 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,454,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
The topic is about respecting each other's views....
if a Christian approaches someone they know doesn't believe in God, and tries to "spread the word"...then they are disrespecting that persons views.
Would you feel comfortable if I, as an Atheist felt the need to approach every Christian and try to convince them of my views?
i really don't see how *sharing* is disrespectful. notice that sharing does not imply forcefeeding, coercing, or anything else. i have had plenty of conversations with atheist friends where we were able to share from both sides, and since there was an already established respect and comeradery there, no feelings were hurt. no one ever accused anyone else of manipulation or disrespect solely for sharing.

EDIT: not just atheists, but friends from many different religions. again, i will reiterate that most humans, regardless of philosophy, have more in common than they do different.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
Please list the study, I would like to read it, and the reviews on the study.
It was by Bailey, Martin and the University of Queensland. They studied 14,000 identical twins.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
This doesn't rule out developmental or environmental factors, so assuming "choice" is a bit of a hasty conclusion.
Perhaps it is hasty...but seeing as they are identical twins, they probably had very similar development and environment. Also, what is an environmental factor that a person assumes that would make it so that they don't have free will?

Old 04-24-2008, 06:02 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahteist2 View Post
We are told often that we are to respect the views and opinions of others, even when they are crazy and especially when it comes to faith.
I don't accept that.

I do think we need to respect every person and treat them with dignity, respect, and courtesy. But that doesn't mean respecting every crazy viewpoint. If someone tells me the moon is made of cream cheese, I'm not going to say, "I respect your opinion," because that would be a lie. I don't respect the opinion at all. But I can respect the person.

See the difference?

Old 04-24-2008, 06:03 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,382,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
I've probably seen more of the world than you in my 20 some years of life.
Presumptuousness is one of the least attractive traits in a person.
Sometimes people don't figure that out until they are fully grown up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality