Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 07:47 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,204,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
I don’t think I have seen so much hate in any post as I see in yours.
You must not get out much. BTW, there has got to be choice in the matter of homosexuality otherwise 100% of identical twins would be gay when one of them is. Studies suggest 20-30% I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 08:23 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,369,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
You must not get out much. BTW, there has got to be choice in the matter of homosexuality otherwise 100% of identical twins would be gay when one of them is. Studies suggest 20-30% I believe.
I have covered the world in this life and seen much more than I wanted to in many cases. I recognize hate and bigotry when I see it, and I have always felt the unreasonable fear of something reflects on unresolved issues in the persons with that fear. I think the ranting on gays reflects this view very well. The statement on child molestation, sex with animals, and the list goes on is a sign you don’t know any gays as people. I think it is you who needs to get out of your box and see the world as it is.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:28 PM

756 posts, read 2,578,780 times
maybe hes a youngin' who 'knows it all' without life experience

werent we all there once.....

maybe hes uncomfortable with God......oh he does not believe in God......

Last edited by nay624; 04-23-2008 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: add

Old 04-24-2008, 06:18 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,369,697 times
Quote:
Please list the study, I would like to read it, and the reviews on the study.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:32 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,730,692 times
Quote:
This doesn't rule out developmental or environmental factors, so assuming "choice" is a bit of a hasty conclusion.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:34 AM

5,535 posts, read 7,378,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahteist2 View Post
We are told often that we are to respect the views and opinions of others, even when they are crazy and especially when it comes to faith. Which is amazing to me, that faith is even held a value at all.

1. Christians want us to respect their views, or do they want us to ADOPT their views? For example christians are doing all they can to STOP any form of gay marriage, but why?

Or perhaps no beer on sunday, or what ever other law you can mustard up that restricts, limits or prohibits any behavior based on religious values.

Now, if they say "respect" out beliefs, let us believe what we want, do not try to change us, and all that stuff. Then why cant the afford the curtiousy and keep their morals and values out of our faces and off our law books ?

Let the gays get married if they want to, after all I am sure no gays are trying to make christians be in gay marriages.

2. If I am to respect their beliefs, then should I also be able to walk down the street, answer my door or turn on my TV with out some nut job trying to convert me to the newest fade church down the block. Or being screamed at that I am going to hell ?

3. Or, being told what I believe. Christians are always saying not to generalize them. Not to tell them what they believe, yet that is what they do with atheist all the time. And are NEVER correct in their assumptions.

So, if we are to respect them and their beliefs, why dont they do likewise.

This is one of the reasons I see religious people as hypocrites and no I do not respect their beliefs, only their right to have them.

I think respect has more to do with the person.
There are those on this forum I have great respect for. And their belief system has very little to do with it.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:36 AM

245 posts, read 626,040 times
my respect for someone or lack there of comes directly from there actions, not there beliefs.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:28 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,570,608 times
I feel that the word hate is used much too freely here. Even though my newest dictionary has 'dislike' as a synonym, I do not agree with that either. I believe that 'hate' is a much stronger word than 'dislike'. I have read (sort of) most of this thread, and have not seen those defending their faith saying they 'hate' those who are athiests.

As for marriage, originally the coming together of a man and women was for procreation. That would be rather difficult for 2 men.

As for why I keep reading this, I guess it is like being drawn to any disaster...curiosity, and the wish to be helpful ( for most people).

Old 04-24-2008, 07:51 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,947,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
I feel that the word hate is used much too freely here. Even though my newest dictionary has 'dislike' as a synonym, I do not agree with that either. I believe that 'hate' is a much stronger word than 'dislike'. I have read (sort of) most of this thread, and have not seen those defending their faith saying they 'hate' those who are athiests.
I agree that hatred is being used too eagerly.

If i had a pound for everytime a christian assumes that the reason I don't believe in their god is because I hate her, id be rich. Disagreeing simply does not equal hatred. When even after explaining my position in the hopes of removing the ignorance, I then hear a string of other insulting comments(references to me being a godless sodomite is my favourite) all I can think is that this bigotry is based on hatred because there is no way so much prejudice and intolerance of differing opinions can come from simple dissagreement

Quote:
As for marriage, originally the coming together of a man and women was for procreation. That would be rather difficult for 2 men.
Its also dificult for couples that can't bear children and a bit unfair on the man and woman who want to get married but do not want kids.

Quote:
As for why I keep reading this, I guess it is like being drawn to any disaster...curiosity, and the wish to be helpful ( for most people).
dont be shy you can say it, we are all C-D addicts here.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:29 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,396,740 times
Quote:
I
Interestingly, I have read that when the first started recording marriages during the Roman Empire, marriages were for economic social purposes. That really would not be to difficult for two men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality