Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 07:04 PM

285 posts, read 536,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nay624 View Post
I think you are full of crap...and respect you .....
its possible.

Interesting, you do not even know what I believe and it is crap ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 07:05 PM

756 posts, read 2,580,579 times
I guess if its not 'your' fight (for or against) gay marriage....
why do you care??
those who think its their fight do care....and biblically, well....
if your not religious...why do you care???
curious......

Old 04-23-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahteist2 View Post
Interesting, you do not even know what I believe and it is crap ?
did I forget to say that was a 'funny-ha-ha'....
I thought the covered iy

my bad

Old 04-23-2008, 07:08 PM

9,892 posts, read 13,937,075 times
I find the best way to deal with people of any creed is with mutual respect. So if I am being respected, then I am respectful although I tend to be respectful of people as a general rule anyway, and only feel the need to remove myself from the presence of people that are disrespectful to me.

That way it's irrelevent what a persons personal beliefs are as we are working toward a common goal anyway. Mutual acceptance.

With regard to your example of gay marriage well I fully support it and will do whatever I can in order for it to be legislated. I have found many people who hold religious beliefs working toward the same goal, so my focus would tend to be on those people and not so much on those that are against it. I cannot force people to believe what I believe and there is no way that anyone will change my beliefs being heavy handed or cramming their beliefs down my throat. Ultimately I think it does no good to generalize about people because I often find that when you least it expect it, the person you think least likely to be in your corner actually is.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
i think one of the first things that you could do to become a happier, more content person would be to stop making such broad generalizations, especially while complaining about broad generalizations. it comes across as pretty pathetically blind.
Sorry there was more...

Who says I am not happy ? Why is that religious have this idea that when one critisises their beliefs, they are not happy ?

As far as generalizations go, christians say EVERYONE is a sinner going to hell. Pretty broad generalization isnt it ?

So your answer to me is to accuse me of being unhappy and call me a few names.

Quote:
i would like to say for the record that there are idiots everywhere, among every race, creed, nationality, political party, religious doctrine, lack of religious doctrine, and every other nook or cranny in the world. if we go about our lives with only an eye for the things that could offend us, and never paying attention to the good that goes along with it, our short time here on earth will be gone before we know it, and we will be left with nothing but regret (or if you do not believe in an afterlife, with nothing.).
Ok there are idiots everywhere, so what ?

So you think life is meaningless and we die sorry and regretful ?

Quote:
i am a christian. i believe in God. that does not mean that i have to cultivate a demeanor of superiority or 'scream' to people about their awaiting fate in hell. the majority of the christians i am aware of and associate with are very well-mannered, intelligent individuals. the same is true of the majority of the atheists that i know. like it or not, despite religious beliefs, there is still more that we have in common than there is that divides us. to focus on the tiny division is to get a divorce because the wife said that her favorite color is green, when the husband's is blue.
you may not scream it at them, but if you believe your religion, then you think it at them. You have to believe that anyone not saved is going to hell, and there is no way you can over come that, unless you dont really believe it is true.

Anyways, you keep talking about people who act nice, or not, and that isnt what I am talking about. Certainly I can be polite to you, and you can believe in your fairy tales, but I do not have to hold some respect for your beliefs. I can at the very least say in my head "what a stupid religion" certainly everyone does it.

But why do we just admit we do it ?

Old 04-23-2008, 07:16 PM

See your problem is you are not really respectful by calling someones diety a farytale.

be true to yourself....if you want to hate the religious..get in line...

Old 04-23-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
did I forget to say that was a 'funny-ha-ha'....
I thought the covered iy

my bad
Got ya

Old 04-23-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
See your problem is you are not really respectful by calling someones diety a farytale.

be true to yourself....if you want to hate the religious..get in line...
It is a fairy tale, that is my belief.

Respect it LOL

Old 04-23-2008, 07:33 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,376,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Marriage is a God institution. It is the bringing together of two people of the opposite sex to form a relationship before God. The question is not why do Christians want to not allow gay people to be married, but rather why do gay people want to be married. The answer is that gay couples want to be validated by God and the Church that what they are doing is OK. It is not. Homosexual activity is adultry and the bible is clear when it says "Thou shalt not commit adultry." This includes anyone having sex outside of marriage, anyone having sex with a minor, because they are not allowed to marry, anyone having sex with someone of the same sex or with the dead or with animals.

Christian have every right to tell you about their religion, just as much as you tell yours. Any sales man can sell their product to anyone they want. This society allows for freedom of speech. It is part of America, just learn to love it.
I don’t think I have seen so much hate in any post as I see in yours. I think you need help. If your god exists, I feel sure he would be frowning down on you tonight. This issue with gays is simple. They should have the same rights as you and I. I think the uproar is more a money issue in the first place. The strong insurance lobby fears the addition of gay spouses will put extra burden on their profits. Most things are based on money in this country. The day is close when our genetic tree will show homosexuality is not a choice or a sin but just basic genetics, which will reflect back on people with your values as just the plain garden variety bigots.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
The answer is that gay couples want to be validated by God and the Church that what they are doing is OK
Oh give me a break. Did you get this right from the pulpit or what?

Some gays may care about god, some may be atheist. And there are churches who do in fact support gay marriage, so there is their god support.

Then you go on to say that it isnt OK ?

Why not ? Your preachers say so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality