Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2016, 05:33 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,225,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post

I wonder if a thousand years from now Atheists will be saying Ken Ham never built a replica of Noah's ark. It was all based on made-up stories by Christians.
Provided technology keeps advancing, I'm sure they will all be looking back and laughing.

Old 07-18-2016, 05:41 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Provided technology keeps advancing, I'm sure they will all be looking back and laughing.
Those who possess both education and rationality are laughing now.

I predict it'll be a display of cobwebs within a decade. Unless it becomes campy-cool and kitschy to be selfied there.

But even then, there will be a lot of laughing.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:07 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Those who possess both education and rationality are laughing now.

I predict it'll be a display of cobwebs within a decade. Unless it becomes campy-cool and kitschy to be selfied there.

But even then, there will be a lot of laughing.
They are building a theme park too, and a zoo, and a bunch of other things. That's how they go the tourism incentive.

I live about 1:45 minutes away and saw more posted on this board than in a city of 1.5 million people. Shows you how much interest Louisville has in it.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:46 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Yes, if you study comparative religion, and the histories of the origins of religions, particularly the semitic ones (but with regards Judeo-Christianity we should include Egyptian and Greek) you can actually see the movement and transformation of one god and one story from one culture into another. It is clearly an "evolution" of gods and legends.

Many sources, such as the Enumah Elish, the Epic of Gilgamesh, many Akkadian, Babylonian, Assyrian holy texts and god-legends, are like pre-echoes to biblical stories, including accounts of creation in Genesis, the Flood and the Ark, Moses in the basket on the river...it's really a beautiful thing, and absolutely fascinating to me.

Of course, for every thing like this, there are a half-dozen apologist websites trying to explain how these things aren't real, the steles and cuneiform clay tablets are fakes, or the dating is way off, or the text has been poorly translated, or some culture stole the story from the Hebrews (who in some of these cases weren't really in existence yet) because they liked the stories and wanted their kings to be like gods, etc.

But among actual scientists, scholars, etc., it's pretty clear to see. Clear enough that even a layperson like me can appreciate it.

You can even see how Yahweh developed, became mixed with some gods from other cultures, and became the patron deity of some sects of ancient Hebrews. Much of this "evolution" is wound up deeply with the move towards monotheism in the ancient world.

To me, none of these facts make The Bible any less meaningful or wondrous in any way. It's just what we are discovering more and more about its origins and contexts. That shouldn't bother anyone or make them fearful or shake their faith.
You need to read the Bible again because your conclusions are way off base. Despite spanning several authors separated by hundreds of years, the message of the Bible and God's nature remains consistent. Jesus is foretold all the way back in Genesis and even the earliest books like Genesis give remarkable detail about other cultures like Egypt. The other mythologies talk about their fantasy gods. The Bible talks about real life people like Pharaoh and his court. If the Bible is not history then ALL ancient writings must be works of fiction.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:48 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Yes, a game of telephone over multiple generations always ends up with exactly the real situation.
Not if they know how important it was to preserve the Word of God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post

Virtually none of the stories discussed in it can be backed up by real history or archaeology. Even a first century Nazareth did not exist.
There are hundreds of archaeology finds that back up the Bible.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:50 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,891,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Such as?

Old 07-18-2016, 08:51 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,666 times
Quote:

Certain locations are indeed verifiable by archaeological finds, but only a very few of the events in the Bible can be verified to the same extent.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:57 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
Quote:
You don't really know if it is just like the telephone game. Unless you have the diary of Noah, you don't really know how much the account Moses wrote 3,461 years ago diverged from the original.
True, but if one is not relying on it as literal truth, what difference does that make?

Quote:
I wonder if a thousand years from now Atheists will be saying Ken Ham never built a replica of Noah's ark. It was all based on made-up stories by Christians.
I wonder if a thousand years from now, fundies will dig up Ken Ham's Ark and have "proof" that the Biblical account of Noah is true.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:59 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,225,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
Such as?
They are all right next to his thousands of proofs that God exists and miracles and what not...but he'll just say you have a hardened heart and why should he share these proofs with you, because all you will do is shoot them down, further adding to the Christian repression complex.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:03 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
Quote:
Look how many denominations there are, some of them quite irate about how other denominations understand the Bible. And in every denomination, you have people who are quite sincere in their beliefs. And this is all since the Bible has been widely available in written form. Yet somehow, when the stories were passed only orally, it is not possible that any deviation at all whatsoever happened?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.