Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 05:45 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,122,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
With saying that God only helps those who help themselves I also meant that this rationalisation could be used as an excuse for the rich to only get richer.
I mean the rich obviously help themselves to become even richer (how else does one get rich?), instead of helping the poor.
They claim to give charity to the poor, but often their charity is nothing compared to what they really earn.
I couldn't agree more with this. It is very true but also very sad considering how many people go without while the rich flaunt themselves. I guess this is what makes democracy and free enterprise work in this country.

Quote:
I don't think one should literally believe the Lord will provide us with our needs. Thousands, especially children, die on this planet everyday for want of food, water, and medicines. He did not provide for them.
I have often heard the sermon on the mount quoted, but one would be a fool not to worry about their needs. In short, one is well served in doing whatever they can to see to their own needs and hope the Lord gives them a little help.
I agree with this for the most part. I believe that while He does provide for us, we do have to do our part in supplying our needs like finding a job and holding onto it, although in this day and age, nothing is a lock anymore. That's why when I hear stories of folks whose particular needs are taken care of where there didn't seem to be any hope, I have to believe that the Lord has had a hand in it. I believe He is involved in our lives more than we think.

Regarding the children in other countries who are dying, I think a lot of that is because of demented leaders who care nothing of their citizens and hoard whatever they can and/or send their countries into totally unecessary conflicts which result in havoc for the people. Ever wonder how much food and supplies sent from sympathetic countries actually make it to those who truly need it? But that's another thread, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 06:31 AM

23,030 posts, read 34,453,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
I don't think one should literally believe the Lord will provide us with our needs. Thousands, especially children, die on this planet everyday for want of food, water, and medicines. He did not provide for them.

I have often heard the sermon on the mount quoted, but one would be a fool not to worry about their needs. In short, one is well served in doing whatever they can to see to their own needs and hope the Lord gives them a little help.
The Bible, which I believe is God's Word says that He will supply all my needs in Philippians's 4:19 and I believe Him and He has always met my needs. There will always be suffering in this world, because we live in a sinful fallen world. But Philippians 4:6 also tells us not to worry about anything but pray about everything. We (I include myself here) should be praying more for those children and others.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:43 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,261,993 times
Quote:
We (I include myself here) should be praying more for those children and others.
If prayer provided those in need with food I'd agree with, but sadly this is not the case. Just because you get what you need in every day life does not mean that everyone gets what they need in life.
If this was the case there would be no poor.
More often than not the poor get nothing, because the corrupt take it all.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:59 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,655,956 times
maybe it all really boils down to luck (if there is such a thing as luck)?

Old 12-04-2007, 07:53 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,122,076 times
In regards to providing for us, christians also believe that the Lord leads us in the ways that we should go. This means that we should be attentive to the promptings of the Holy Spirit when we are trying to make decisions about our lives. It's more involved than that but this is another way He provides for us to assist us in providing for ourselves.

Quote:
maybe it all really boils down to luck (if there is such a thing as luck)?
Before becoming a christian, I used to gamble like crazy and believe me, I never ever had any luck with that nor really with anything else in my life. Things are much better now than they used to be though.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:58 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,305,315 times
I hope what I'm about to say isn't offensive to anyone, but here goes-I think that there are often "conditions" if you will, about the Lord providing. First of all, I think that implies a relationship with Jesus Christ and seeking His kingdom first. (Matthew 6:33 KJV-But seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righeousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.) And this is really, controversial (flame away!) I think it may also involve tithing on what we have been blessed with.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:03 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,261,993 times
Quote:
Before becoming a christian, I used to gamble like crazy and believe me, I never ever had any luck with that nor really with anything else in my life. Things are much better now than they used to be though.
True.
But there is a big difference between gambling and being born poor.
Gambling, like religion, is a personal choice, so if you lose money because of gambling that is your own responsibility.
The majority of the poor people happened to be born in the poorest shanty towns of the world.
There is no choice involved there.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:04 AM

23,030 posts, read 34,453,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I hope what I'm about to say isn't offensive to anyone, but here goes-I think that there are often "conditions" if you will about the Lord providing. First of all, I think that implies a relationship with Jesus Christ and seeking His kingdom first. And this is really, controversial (flame away!) I think it may also involve tithing on what we have been blessed with.
I agree. Some of God's promises are conditional and this is one. I believe only Christians can claim this promise that the Lord will provide and yes blessing us through our tithing is another promise God made to His people.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:10 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,655,956 times
but im not speaking of luck in the way of winning money at the card table. i mean luck in the way of circumstances youre born into or things that life throws at you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
In regards to providing for us, christians also believe that the Lord leads us in the ways that we should go. This means that we should be attentive to the promptings of the Holy Spirit when we are trying to make decisions about our lives. It's more involved than that but this is another way He provides for us to assist us in providing for ourselves.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:15 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,529,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I hope what I'm about to say isn't offensive to anyone, but here goes-I think that there are often "conditions" if you will, about the Lord providing. First of all, I think that implies a relationship with Jesus Christ and seeking His kingdom first. (Matthew 6:33 KJV-But seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righeousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.) And this is really, controversial (flame away!) I think it may also involve tithing on what we have been blessed with.

I'm not going to flame you, but consider what you have just written. It sounds as if you are saying only Christians are worthy of provision from the Lord. For the moment, let us assume this is true. If we accept this premise, a relationship would imply a contractual arrangement between the Lord and whomever. This would also imply an intelligent and informed willingness to enter into this contract. There is only one huge problem with this theory; the majority of those suffering in the world have never heard of the Lord. Additionally, young children cannot enter into such a contract until such time as they are able to make independent decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality