Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 07:07 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,582,830 times

Advertisements

I have had opportunities to share the Lord with my family and friends and when I did,I walked away feeling that I didn't get the message across to them properly or they just didn't grasp the concept. I worry about their salvation and want them to spend eternity in Heaven. I know we are to pray for them. I just wanted to know if anyone has ever experienced this feeling ? Should we keep sharing the Word with them over and over or is one time enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 07:17 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,200,619 times
Keep pushing your views at them, and you will run a very real risk of turning them completly away.

I know you mean well, but they may feel differently. Remember that God will judge the heart.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:20 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,913,136 times
I really don't share it unless it is brought up in conversation or some other simular situation such as my daughter's baptism this month.

I think the difference in who I am now, compared to before, is a pretty big witness.

It can boarder on nagging if it's too much. We had a family member like that. I think that is why my family get's turned off by hearing unsolicited preaching.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:30 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,467,845 times
I don't now about others, but speaking for myself I can tell you it is a turn off. Our secretary at work is a witness and she preaches to me all the time. It has bothered me so much that I refuse to go in the office when she is there. I can't imagine what I would do if it were family, most likely the same reaction. I would avoid contact.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:36 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,673,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
I have had opportunities to share the Lord with my family and friends and when I did,I walked away feeling that I didn't get the message across to them properly or they just didn't grasp the concept. I worry about their salvation and want them to spend eternity in Heaven. I know we are to pray for them. I just wanted to know if anyone has ever experienced this feeling ? Should we keep sharing the Word with them over and over or is one time enough.
I was like that at one time. And, I turned people away and I was very upset.

Now, I let the see how God is working in my life, and I try everyday to be a great witness for Him, letting the light shine.

If they can see how I handle every day stress, anger and being completely blindsided at times with dignity and with Christian values, these actions can reach them where no shouting, naggging, or constant reminders will.

Just allow God to work through you to reach them. I have found, we are to spread the gospel, but it is Christ who convicts people and they are the ones who have to invite HIm in.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:25 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,890,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiangel_writer View Post
I was like that at one time. And, I turned people away and I was very upset.

Now, I let the see how God is working in my life, and I try everyday to be a great witness for Him, letting the light shine.

If they can see how I handle every day stress, anger and being completely blindsided at times with dignity and with Christian values, these actions can reach them where no shouting, naggging, or constant reminders will.

Just allow God to work through you to reach them. I have found, we are to spread the gospel, but it is Christ who convicts people and they are the ones who have to invite HIm in.
It is hard to witness to ones' own family, especially if you don't regularly talk much to each other. For some reason, a witness from within a family doesn't seem to carry as much "weight" as someone without. Even Jesus said "a prophet is not without honour, save in his own country, and in his own house". That said, it doesn't mean you shouldn't try. Do what you can, as God leads. It is very important that we lead a good example for them to see.
And PRAY...

Bud

Old 08-09-2007, 09:03 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,528,814 times
Quote:
We all worry about our family members especially if they don't know the Lord or if they know him and ignore his teachings. Keep praying Nolan, let the spirit be your guide. Just be yourself, talk about your faith whenever you can and you may ask them about their beliefs , usually people will be willing to listen to you if you listen to them first..Keep a positive attitude when you are finished sharing the word with friends and relatives, don't expect instant results instead think positive that you have planted a seed

Old 08-09-2007, 09:13 PM

740 posts, read 2,015,095 times
Quote:
I am in the same place that you are in... Just know that you are called to share the gospel, your testimony and live a Christ-like life (that is your best testimony). The rest is up to the Holy Spirit. If they are asking you questions, and taking an interest, that is the Holy Spirit working in their lives. Most of all pray for them without ceasing....

And just know that:
Book of 2 Corinthians 4:4 Satan, the god of this evil world, has blinded the minds of those who don't believe, so they are unable to see the glorious light of the Good News that is shining upon them. They don't understand the message we preach about the glory of Christ, who is the exact likeness of God

Joh 6:39 -
And this is the will of God, that I should not lose even one of all those he has given me, but that I should raise them to eternal life at the last day.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:25 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,839,833 times
Default the seed.....

How many seeds does it take to grow a plant? ........one, but it take a lot of cultivation and care to make that plant mature. The parable of the sower gives us direction in these matters.

St Francis of Assisi said: "preach the Gospel always, and sometimes use words."

Cultivate a place where the seed you planted can grow... and use very little preachiing.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:34 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,281,924 times
I think everyone that has shared here has had a lot of wisdom. All I would add is that, yes, noland, I have definitely had that kind of experience within the family. You share and feel like maybe it didn't go as you would have liked. So you wonder if "making another run at it would make any difference."
Sigh. But as ibcwife and others have shared, prayer seems to be the real key.

I know my pastor has shared how day after day for years, he heard his wife calling out her unsaved sister's name to God in prayer and finally, after years, she was saved. He said he would have given up praying for her long before then, but his wife did not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality