Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 07:17 PM

14,975 posts, read 17,323,234 times

Advertisements

Hi, another way that I understand this also is that God gives us exactly what we need. He may open doors provide for our financial needs if we are struggling and He may not at that time. He may want us to learn something in our struggle, like learning to fully depend on Him in all things or maybe something else. And I agree that we may not even know what we need, but God does. Like Paul said, he knew the secret of being content in whatever circumstances he was in (Phil 4:12) Many times he was without, but He was still content and God kept him and was there with him in all circumstances. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 12-03-2007 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 07:19 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,032,212 times
You may not be wanting Bible scripture, however, this passage should sum everything up quite nicely. I have seen you asking all kinds of questions, some which appear that you are seeking Him and/or He is seeking you . Perhaps you need to give a little more thought to the fact that He may be trying to get your attention. But you have to allow Him in, in order for Him to take charge of your life.
Please read this word for word and let it sink in.

Matthew 6:25-34 (New International Version)
Do Not Worry
25"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life[a]?

28"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:29 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,662,096 times
BUT I AM NOT A LILLY!
thank you anyways. it is beautiful stuff to read but still not practical for our present day and situations.
thanks again.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:36 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,801,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
BUT I AM NOT A LILLY!
thank you anyways. it is beautiful stuff to read but still not practical for our present day and situations.
thanks again.
nicolepsy,
You are right! You are not a LILLY! You are more precious and more beautiful than a lilly. Open your heart to all that God has to offer you. Your Lord WILL provide!
You are in my prayers,
Weather...

Old 12-03-2007, 07:39 PM

14,975 posts, read 17,323,234 times
Quote:
Why not, Nicolepsy, if it works in the lives of others? God bless.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:40 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,032,212 times
It is still as valid today as it ever was. You're right, you're not a lily. You're much more to Him than that. That's what the whole point is.

If He cares and meets the needs of the birds and the flowers etc. What do you think He will do for you?

No, He isn't going to walk into the electric company and pay your bill, what He will do, however, is provide for you. He may not provide you that "perfect" job, in fact, you may HATE the job. He never said He was going to make your life a bed of roses for you...there are things you just have to suck up and do for yourself.

God WILL provide for you, but you have to be willing to accept what He offers.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:55 PM

23,039 posts, read 34,499,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolepsy View Post
BUT I AM NOT A LILLY!
thanks again.
As others have said you are much important to God than a lilly. The wonderful think about the Bible, God's Word is it is just as practical today as it was when it was written.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:15 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,125,181 times
A lot of things do not look practical to those who do not believe in the Bible or God but then, a lot of things about the world do not look practical to those who do believe in them. It's all about our point of view and what we believe in.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:23 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,531,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
He said He will always provide our needs and He does not lie. He always provides us with what we need, but we don't always want what we need. Sometimes what we need is the grace to accept what we need.
I don't think one should literally believe the Lord will provide us with our needs. Thousands, especially children, die on this planet everyday for want of food, water, and medicines. He did not provide for them.

I have often heard the sermon on the mount quoted, but one would be a fool not to worry about their needs. In short, one is well served in doing whatever they can to see to their own needs and hope the Lord gives them a little help.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:35 PM

8,419 posts, read 16,277,912 times
With saying that God only helps those who help themselves I also meant that this rationalisation could be used as an excuse for the rich to only get richer.
I mean the rich obviously help themselves to become even richer (how else does one get rich?), instead of helping the poor.
They claim to give charity to the poor, but often their charity is nothing compared to what they really earn.

If a rich building owner charches $100,- a month for the rooms in his building and gives a homeless person $20,- the homeless guy would propably believe that the building owner was being generous. Especially when you do not make any money at all.

Last edited by Tricky D; 12-03-2007 at 10:43 PM.. Reason: clarification
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality