Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 10:19 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,268,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
I'm not he most frequent member of the Christian section so I can't testify to that. Most of what I've seen in the Christian section here has been very...interesting.
The christian forum is very entertaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 11:06 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,917,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Many militant atheist seem to rally around the same theme, homosexuality. This is the true bone of contention.
Correlation is not causation.

The reason atheists seem anti-Christian to some people is that Christianists codify their faith in laws which govern everyone else, and insert their faith into government in ways that explicitly violate the Constitution (e.g. putting "one nation under god" in the pledge in the 1950s, or ten commandments in courthouses). One of the hot topics of the day, which is an example of Christianist values being forced on others, is discrimination against homosexuality. There is no intrinsic connection between atheism and homosexuality. The connection is contingent upon contemporary circumstance, which is a mutual opposition to Christianist laws.

It's worth noting there are many Christians who see gay rights (including marriage equality) as not only consistent with, but required by, their faith. There are Christians, probably a majority of them, who like evolution being the only origin-of-life theory taught in schools. There are many Christians with whom atheists have absolutely no bone(s) of contention.

"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."- Gandhi (possibly)
If all Christians took seriously Jesus' teachings of tolerance and love, I don't think there would be so much backlash.

Last edited by natininja; 05-22-2013 at 11:28 PM..

Old 05-22-2013, 11:17 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,917,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
The christian forum is very entertaining.
Wow, yes it is.

Lots of disagreement about who's christian. Figures. Lots of smartypants so confident (arrogant) that their personal interpretation is so obviously god's intended interpretation. I wonder how many of them claiming to know what the bible really says have actually learned to read in Greek or Hebrew or any language with a closer version to the original.

Edit: You know what's interesting, I am seeing a lot of threads started by christians which immediately start off with some sort of insult (this one included, as it starts insulting non-christians, calling them "anti-christian zealots"). For example, the OP in a thread about following the ten commandments includes this gem: "I am not talking about the Catholic 10 commandments, which were changed by them, wrongly I might add." Makes you wonder why they bother complaining about atheists, if they find each other so heathen.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:29 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,033,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natininja View Post
Correlation is not causation.

The reason atheists seem anti-Christian to some people is that Christianists codify their faith in laws which govern everyone else, and insert their faith into government in ways that explicitly violate the Constitution (e.g. putting "one nation under god" in the pledge in the 1950s, or ten commandments in courthouses). One of the hot topics of the day, which is an example of Christianist values being forced on others, is discrimination against homosexuality. There is no intrinsic connection between atheism and homosexuality. The connection is contingent upon contemporary circumstance, which is a mutual opposition to Christianist laws.

It's worth noting there are many Christians who see gay rights (including marriage equality) as not only consistent with, but required by, their faith. There are Christians, probably a majority of them, who like evolution being the only origin-of-life theory taught in schools. There are many Christians with whom atheists have absolutely no bone(s) of contention.

"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."- Gandhi (possibly)
If all Christians took seriously Jesus' teachings of tolerance and love, I don't think there would be so much backlash.
I think your militancy issue is more with the voting process, it is this process that allows everyone to vote.

I would think the proper lobbying response would be to lobby the government to disenfranchise these voters (people of faith).

Old 05-23-2013, 05:42 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,435,909 times
I believe there are far more believers on the forum than non-believers, but there are a few very persistent anti-Christians that constantly attack every thread that make it seem like there are more of them than there are. It is the same with gays.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:49 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,733,828 times
Quote:
I would hope you'd tag a few militant atheists in this as well at least. But you won't. That's too much to ask.
The person I responded to asked a different question. But since you asked nicely, I took a look and didn't find any examples in this thread of atheists advocating violent military action to further their goals. I did find a lot of extremist Christians equating open discussion and honest disagreement with violence, though, which is an interesting bit of insight into their psychological makeup.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:03 AM

1,755 posts, read 3,007,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
The person I responded to asked a different question. But since you asked nicely, I took a look and didn't find any examples in this thread of atheists advocating violent military action to further their goals. I did find a lot of extremist Christians equating open discussion and honest disagreement with violence, though, which is an interesting bit of insight into their psychological makeup.
How did my post connect to what you just said again? Me advocating violence or being an extremist Christian for that matter?

I will end this however by saying the the two, fundamentalists and "militant atheists" actually go hand in hand. Are you aware of the amount of threads appear on this forum mocking Those who believe in God etc? Or the reactions that come after? It's a two way street here and like I said, those who walk a middle ground get lumped in quite frequently here with one side or the other. Polarized. *shrugs*

Old 05-23-2013, 07:01 AM

27,812 posts, read 28,919,901 times
Quote:
How did my post connect to what you just said again? Me advocating violence or being an extremist Christian for that matter?

I will end this however by saying the the two, fundamentalists and "militant atheists" actually go hand in hand. Are you aware of the amount of threads appear on this forum mocking Those who believe in God etc? Or the reactions that come after? It's a two way street here and like I said, those who walk a middle ground get lumped in quite frequently here with one side or the other. Polarized. *shrugs*
Theists also mock people who believe in supernatural beings. I'm sure a Christian would mock someone who said they believed in Zeus.

The only difference is that atheists are more consistent. We are equal opportunity mockers.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:12 AM

1,755 posts, read 3,007,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Theists also mock people who believe in supernatural beings. I'm sure a Christian would mock someone who said they believed in Zeus.

The only difference is that atheists are more consistent. We are equal opportunity mockers.

Yes it occurs from all angles. I honestly can't say one is better or healthier than the other. On this forum however, from what I see the biggest target is Christianity. Anyone who references God is very likely to get associated with Christianity and fast.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:35 AM

50,139 posts, read 20,903,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
I believe there are far more believers on the forum than non-believers, but there are a few very persistent anti-Christians that constantly attack every thread that make it seem like there are more of them than there are. It is the same with gays.
You are probably right. There are more religious than non -religious. There are however a small number of unbelievers who have the experience to field the invalid stock arguments put by the religious.

Which, in other words, is pretty much what you said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality