Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 12:08 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,385,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
...and that's how it should be. If Christians don't want to be challenged they have their own forum in which to slap each other on the back and claim superiority over us uncivilised heathens and others of different faiths...outside of that forum they should be prepared to be challenged on their claims.
Quote:
Why would I not be?

A correlation could be made to you obsession here to "convert" those of faith to your way of thinking as perhaps rooted in something else, subconsciously.

One example I would use is my little sister at her JH. She went to a JH in the inner city that had a fairly significant population of less fortunate students and she went to school well dressed, well read, and not of some other students particular ethnic background. Well there were a few girls who would follow her around from class to class during recess and throw slur after slur at her, like "barbie," "white b*^&$," ""h#@&%*" etc.

It was my conclusion (and that of psychologists - if you read up on it) that the energy spent, the time wasted on their hatred toward her, signified their wanting to be her, to their disgust with their own lives, that they wasted indicating this.

You seem to "waste" a lot of time here on an issue that really, according to your worldview, and maybe that indicates something more, subconsciously on your behalf. Just sayin'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 12:21 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,996,141 times
Quote:
...and that's how it should be. If Christians don't want to be challenged they have their own forum in which to slap each other on the back and claim superiority over us uncivilised heathens and others of different faiths...outside of that forum they should be prepared to be challenged on their claims.
Sigh...militant to the very end. Lol

Old 05-21-2013, 12:35 PM

27,545 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Reading some of the posts around here in the not-so-layman jargon, it's hard to gauge whether this forum attracts the more anti-religious zealots or the more righteous folks happy to help those in spiritual need.

So what's the consensus on where in line the rhetoric falls around here?
I think that religion - especially its supernatural aspects - is being exposed as a falling house of cards here on the internet.

People are finding out that they have been duped.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:51 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
You seem to "waste" a lot of time here on an issue that really, according to your worldview, and maybe that indicates something more, subconsciously on your behalf. Just sayin'.
Well I only speak for myself, obviously, but I think I'm pretty aware of why I'm here. I have had a life-long fascination with how people cope with the human condition. I have during the course of my life changed tack nearly 180 degrees. I did that for what I consider good and sufficient reasons, and I am interested in helping others find their way through the thicket, particularly those who come from fundamentalism. I want to be a good representative of an alternate perspective that I've found personally liberating, for those interested in such discussions.

I also enjoy discussion of philosophical and metaphysical issues and I am not particularly able to do that with anyone in my day to day life; its a somewhat esoteric interest to the level we delve into it here -- as well as something many on both sides are afraid to discuss in "meatspace". Also, this forum discussion helps me to make sense of the years I spent in theism and, perhaps, to atone for it a bit. I genuinely regret those years.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:05 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,850,754 times
Quote:
A correlation could be made to you obsession here to "convert" those of faith to your way of thinking as perhaps rooted in something else, subconsciously.
I have no 'obsession' to convert anyone but, much as you would like me to, I won't sit quietly whilst theists spread their unsubstantiated supernatural claims as "Truth" (capital 'T' for added effect). Nor will I sit quietly whilst they attempt to have their beliefs in the supernatural introduced into our schools and government building or even in the streets I have to walk in.
Quote:
One example I would use is my little sister at her JH. She went to a JH in the inner city that had a fairly significant population of less fortunate students and she went to school well dressed, well read, and not of some other students particular ethnic background. Well there were a few girls who would follow her around from class to class during recess and throw slur after slur at her, like "barbie," "white b*^&$," ""h#@&%*" etc. It was my conclusion (and that of psychologists - if you read up on it) that the energy spent, the time wasted on their hatred toward her, signified their wanting to be her, to their disgust with their own lives, that they wasted indicating this.
Hey! Guess what folks...I'm really someone that subconsciously wants to believe in talking animals, global floods and talking trees!!! LMAO!
Quote:
You seem to "waste" a lot of time here on an issue that really, according to your worldview, and maybe that indicates something more, subconsciously on your behalf.
Nah! It's more that I am going to fight the spread of belief in something unsubstantiated by evidence, logic, reason or common sense .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalite View Post
Sigh...militant to the very end. Lol
You certainly sigh a lot don't you?

Old 05-21-2013, 01:08 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,712,767 times
Quote:

One example I would use is my little sister at her JH. She went to a JH in the inner city that had a fairly significant population of less fortunate students and she went to school well dressed, well read, and not of some other students particular ethnic background. Well there were a few girls who would follow her around from class to class during recess and throw slur after slur at her, like "barbie," "white b*^&$," ""h#@&%*" etc.

It was my conclusion (and that of psychologists - if you read up on it) that the energy spent, the time wasted on their hatred toward her, signified their wanting to be her, to their disgust with their own lives, that they wasted indicating this.

A summary :

My sister was verbally abused by a bunch of really bad, mean people who didn't want her on their turf. With that out of the way, I'm going to question your integrity and mental health for daring to show your face on what I perceive as my home turf.

Anyone else appreciate the irony here?

Old 05-21-2013, 01:08 PM

588 posts, read 795,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Then why are you on this particular forum ?
I know your question was not directed towards me, but I can answer why I drop by. First, the phenomenon of religious beliefs, albeit Christian, Jewish, Hindu, is very interesting to me. I am often interested to hear why various religious people have the beliefs that they do.

Secondly, as one who lives in America eight - nine months each year, I also wish to help to explain why atheists do not believe in gods. As a former fundamentalist Christian coming from a very pious family, this issue also affects me personally. As a result, I have had a lifetime of experiences and therefore have developed some opinions on the effects of religion.

Keep in mind, this section is not a worship and praise area. It is a forum to discuss religious beliefs.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:21 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Data hath spooled the correct answer. This is a general 'say your piece on religion' forum. It has turned into a sort of battleground between Christianity and the Hellspawn. It might be nice if we just amicably chatted about our beliefs or lack of them, but this is the the time for the matter to be settled and it looks like it is the place, too. Various attempts to shame us into going away and maintaining a timorous silence as in the Good Old Days have been met with derision. So is yours.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:51 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,996,141 times
Quote:
I have no 'obsession' to convert anyone but, much as you would like me to, I won't sit quietly whilst theists spread their unsubstantiated supernatural claims as "Truth" (capital 'T' for added effect). Nor will I sit quietly whilst they attempt to have their beliefs in the supernatural introduced into our schools and government building or even in the streets I have to walk in.
Hey! Guess what folks...I'm really someone that subconsciously wants to believe in talking animals, global floods and talking trees!!! LMAO!
Nah! It's more that I am going to fight the spread of belief in something unsubstantiated by evidence, logic, reason or common sense .

You certainly sigh a lot don't you?
Only on certain occasions.

Old 05-21-2013, 02:00 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,124,820 times
Quote:
Reading some of the posts around here in the not-so-layman jargon, it's hard to gauge whether this forum attracts the more anti-religious zealots or the more righteous folks happy to help those in spiritual need.

So what's the consensus on where in line the rhetoric falls around here?
Your self-righteousness is showing. Take the log out of your own eye first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality