Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 01:13 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,625,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigetmax24 View Post
Does God support the practice of slavery?
The god you profess belief in certainly does. I'm not an atheist, insofar as I believe we are a part of a bigger reality, but the idea that stone age Jews knew everything there is to know about spirituality is insane. As is the idea that god requires belief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 05:34 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,629,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
The god you profess belief in certainly does. I'm not an atheist, insofar as I believe we are a part of a bigger reality, but the idea that stone age Jews knew everything there is to know about spirituality is insane. As is the idea that god requires belief.
...and why would it be reasonable for I or anyone else believe this?

Old 09-24-2011, 08:38 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,785,339 times
Quote:
Would you agree that the vast majority of theists in this country subscribe to the Ten Commandments?
Which version -- Jewish, Roman Catholic, Protestant -- of the Ten Commandments would that be?

Old 09-24-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Which version -- Jewish, Roman Catholic, Protestant -- of the Ten Commandments would that be?
Which do you prefer?

Old 09-24-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Which do you prefer?
The original one, of course.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
The original one, of course.
Sounds good. Let's go with that.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:47 PM

5,420 posts, read 6,524,792 times
They rarely observe the sabbath.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
They rarely observe the sabbath.
They?

Old 09-26-2011, 09:50 AM

28,338 posts, read 16,475,982 times
Quote:
With all do respect, this response does nothing to address my point that in any legitimate society laws (imposition) are necessitated. Some form of morality will be imposed. With respect to God and objective moral values, this imposed morality *MUST* either include or exclude God. There is no third choice. This is simple straight-forward logic.
No, it's really not straight-forward logic, at all. The reason it isn't is because we're talking about morality, specifically. *IF* one of the two options you're proposing don't necessarily share a common morality, such as the "atheistic world view" group, than you cannot claim an imposition of that moral code, because it doesn't exist.

Quote:
Well it most certainly wouldn't be an imposition of the God view. Logically, it HAS to be an imposition of one or the other. If the God I believe in actually exists, and this God prohibits murder of the unborn, then we have a very obvious imposition of atheism.
No, we do not. Are you certain there are no other theists in this entire world who don't view abortion as immoral? If a theist has the moral position that abortion is OK, then it cannot be an atheistic world view. I'm pretty certain we've covered this before in some of our earlier exchanges.

Quote:
If the state gave authorization for you to be murdered, would that be an imposition on you IYO?
Not after I was dead, it wouldn't be. Why are you asking ridiculous questions?

Quote:
Great. Why would you *feel* this way?
A miscarriage of justice? Absolutely. An imposition of religion? Not necessarily. I'm certain there are some non-religious folks out there that think gay marriage is "icky" and would vote against it simply for that reason.

Quote:
Would you agree that the vast majority of theists in this country subscribe to the Ten Commandments?
In this country? I would assume so.

Quote:
Which commandments do the majority of atheists subscribe to?
I have no idea. 7 out of 10? 5 out of 10? Again, you're trying to assign common morality to the group and it simply doesn't exist. I don't have to hold to any specific moral code to not have belief in gods. It's not a requirement. I, personally, think 4-10 are all pretty good rules to live by. #4 is on the fence, since it lables a day as "holy", which I obviously disagree with. I included it because I do like my weekends!

Quote:
If they (atheists) support law that is also in keeping with the Ten Commandments they would simply be agreeing with the theistic view of morality.
Nope. It is common ground, to be sure, but to label it as the "theistic" morality would be to assume that this morality was the sole proprety of theists, or at the very least that it originated with theists, and I see no evidence of that.

Quote:
In other words, they would favor imposing a view that agrees with theism. They would be working with theists in order to implement theism. What do you find to be so complicated about all this?
Common ground is not the imposition of theism. What do you find so complicated about it?

Quote:
Do you view it as atheistic imposition? Let me guess.... your answer would be 'no.' Dred Scott was then a "secular" law?
Correct. I believe the Dredd Scott decision was based on ignorant racism and horribly misplaced values of what a human being is worth. I do not see it as being based on any specific religion, however.

Quote:
Does God support the practice of slavery?
The God of the OT certainly seemed to, yep.

Quote:
Happy to explain. Ultimate justice would be administered by an ultimate judge. A judge who is in a perfect position to make perfect decisions based on perfect judgments. In my world, nobody ever gets away with anything. ULTIMATELY everyone will face ULTIMATE justice.
Do you have any evidence that this ultimate justice exists? I can easily prove that our version of justice, as is detailed by our contry's criminal code, exists.

Quote:
God's law and moral precepts are ULTIMATELY just and righteous. They are objective and fixed.
This presupposes the existence of at least one god. I see no evidence of that. So, we'll agree to disagree.

Quote:
Again, if the electorate ever chooses to walk away from these objectively fixed morals, it will be the end the Constitution and our representative republic.
How do you know this would be an end to our Constitution and representative republic? Is it not possible for the Constitution to be changed? I see no mutual exclusion as you have stated above.

Quote:
Sure, as soon as you provide "evidence" that "there is no such thing."
And we're right back to the heart of our differences, aren't we? You assume that gods exist and so you believe in objective morals that he/she/it/they have handed down. I see no evidence for gods, so I believe these "objective" morals are just a widely agreed upon set of rules that foster a peacable society. We can see lots of examples of differing moral codes just within out country, let alone throughout the world. If there are differing moral codes - how can there possibly be an objective morality?

Quote:
Here's what I'll do, when we've exhausted this particular discussion we'll go to another thread and hash this out. I would be looking to back up my assertion that it's REASONABLE to believe in the existence of God and moral absolutes. Conversely, I would be looking for you to provide REASONABLE alternatives. Deal?
Knock yourself out. I've already provided a reasonable alternative above. My answer won't change just because you've started a new thread, I promise you.

Quote:
We appear to be going circular because you seem to think that in order for the atheist view to be imposed, all the atheists would need to come together under some sort of official banner/title...basically, to form a "church" of atheism, if you will. While I would agree that this would certainly be one way to impose atheism, we cannot logically deduce it as the only way.

You no doubt disagree, please elaborate...
Nope, I don't think that at all. It would simply require a shared morality in order to be considered "atheist" and that simply DOES NOT EXIST. I'm done with this line of discussion.

Quote:
I'll see your <SIGH> and raise you a <SIGH>. I don't disagree with any of this. I'm merely pointing out that your opinion is duly noted.
Great.

Quote:
<SIGH> You were the one who asked for my examples. Again, I'm happy to have the discussion. If it relates to the OP, we can discuss it here, if not, we can discuss it elsewhere. Your call.
At this point, I really don't care. I sick of discussing whether or not something YOU brought into the conversation as an example is relevant to the discussion.

Quote:
As a child in this classroom it would. As a parent of a child in this class where the teacher espouses a moral view that runs counter to what I'm teaching, it then equates to a direct imposition.

To what degree? Debatable.
No, it's not an imposition. At all. The lack of discussion/teaching of creation theory in public schools does not, in any way, impede you from teaching your child about creation and God and the Tooth Fairy, should you be so inclined. It is not impostion of atheism, period.

Quote:
Really? Please lead on. Explain how it would be possible to have objective morality (which you've already opined doesn't exist) in the absence of a Transcendent Law giver (God).
Correct, I don't believe in objective morality. However, it sounds like what you are suggesting in this quoted text is that *IF* gods exist then he/she/it/they *MUST* have handed down a moral code for us to live by. First you would need to prove gods exist, THEN you would need to prove a moral code was handed down from this creative intelligence. Two very separate and not mutually inclusive things. No?

Quote:
It is in fact imposition. You may choose to view the degree of imposition as inconsequential, but it's still imposition. My view of how society should be is the view that would equate abortion to murder. The current imposed view runs counter to my view which is in agreement with the God view. I seek to impose theism, others seek to impose atheism. That's how our system of government works.
Atheists CAN believe that abortion is murder, too. Therefore the existence of legal abortion CANNOT be assigned an atheistic bent.

Quote:
I've explained in reasonable and logical fashion why it does equate to imposition.
Yes, you have and I agree. It IS imposition. It just doesn't equate to the imposition of atheism.

Quote:
I have yet to hear your logical reason as to why they should not be considered as imposition.
I've given very clear and understandable reasons that I don't believe this to be an imposition of *ATHEISM*.

Quote:
You've made no attempt to define what it is you see as that which would actually constitute a compromise of my morals or beliefs.
Yes, I actually have. Multiple times. IF you were forced to perform or have an abortion performed on you/your wife, that would be imposition forcing you to compromise your morals and beliefs. It is still not imposition of atheism, however.

I've laid my opinions out several times on most of these topics. I'm tired of repeating myself and we appear to be simply talking past each other, now. In the future I will only respond to new lines of discussion.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:54 AM

28,338 posts, read 16,475,982 times
Quote:
They?

I would assume they would be "the vast majority of theists in this country" that was being discussed.

As such, I would agree. I think the majority of theists in this country DO NOT observe the Sabbath as it is detailed in the 10 commandments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality