Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can you be GAY and GOD-FEARING at the same time?
Yes 82 52.90%
No 64 41.29%
As long as you say you're sorry in the end, you can do anything you want in the meantime... 5 3.23%
Sadly Undecided 4 2.58%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 12:47 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,384,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
It has been scientifically proven than there are biological differences in gay people.
Biological differences? I remember when they started mass-producing medication for people that were bi-polar, or suffered from clinical depression, or alcoholism, and they said it was a "hormone imbalance", andthat it was not necessarily just "something wrong with the person". Would the same apply to anyone that is seeking a same-sex relationship? I can step back and horrify myself with my questions, because to anyone else, they will sound completly shallow, or unknowledgable, and unfit in most times to even justify with an answer, but please bear with me.

I'll use the analogy I mentioned to another earlier - what makes more sense : a pencil and a pencil sharpener? or 2 pencils. ...what do you do with 2 pencils? Yes it's crude, I'm sorry, but it fits. I don't know what is worth looking more into right now that is perplexing me on this topic, the emotional nature of a same sex relationship, or the physical aspects of what they are trying to accomplish in a healthy lifestyle. Again, I apologize.

And yes, God-fearing and still Gay, versus Gay being against the Bible are worded differently, and not meant to confuse any posters.. I guess they just fell into the same category for me overall.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:01 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,209,319 times
Default Just my humble opinion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Kitten View Post
Biological differences? I remember when they started mass-producing medication for people that were bi-polar, or suffered from clinical depression, or alcoholism, and they said it was a "hormone imbalance", andthat it was not necessarily just "something wrong with the person". Would the same apply to anyone that is seeking a same-sex relationship? I can step back and horrify myself with my questions, because to anyone else, they will sound completly shallow, or unknowledgable, and unfit in most times to even justify with an answer, but please bear with me.

I'll use the analogy I mentioned to another earlier - what makes more sense : a pencil and a pencil sharpener? or 2 pencils. ...what do you do with 2 pencils? Yes it's crude, I'm sorry, but it fits. I don't know what is worth looking more into right now that is perplexing me on this topic, the emotional nature of a same sex relationship, or the physical aspects of what they are trying to accomplish in a healthy lifestyle. Again, I apologize.

And yes, God-fearing and still Gay, versus Gay being against the Bible are worded differently, and not meant to confuse any posters.. I guess they just fell into the same category for me overall.
Don't get me wrong, it is obvious that being gay is inherently unnatural because it does not fit with the normal pattern of sexuality for reproductive purposes--that is the main reason why sex organs exist. But IMO that is all the more reason why God would be understanding towards the plight of gays -- they were made with unusual inclinations such that they cannot enjoy sexuality in the natural way, so if they wish to have sex at all, they will face a certain degree of social opprobrium.

I believe that gay people gan go to heaven just like anyone else. How quickly and easily a person attains to paradise after they die depends on a multitude of factors that make up a person's character, not any one particular trait or action. I believe scientific evidence shows that having homosexual desires is likely caused by genetics or congenital factors that are outside a person's voluntary control. Furthermore, early life experiences can also predispose a person towards having a homosexual orientation. Therefore, God would not punish someone who is gay because they did not choose to be that way.

However, I do believe that people have some degree of control over how they behave. A person can choose to live a life devoted to pleasures of the flesh rather than spiritual things, and "free will" is somewhat responsible for these choices. If a person with homosexual desires chooses to focus on their sexuality to the point of obscuring the true spiritual purpose of life, that would hinder the soul's development and progression to heavenly realms in the afterlife. Jesus taught that celibacy and chastity are the preferred way of life, and "whoever can accept this should accept it." (Matt. 19:12). That is because such a lifestyle of self-restraint enables a person to develop greater self-control than an ordinary person, which means that the soul becomes stronger and more capable of rising higher and doing great things in the afterlife.

I think alot of people would do well to remember this: both gay and straight people are called to be self- controlled about their sexuality. It's not just gay people. If a heterosexual man goes out and has wild orgiastic sexual affairs, with prostitutes and loose women and whatnot, that is just as much in violation of Jesus's teachings than if it were a homosexual doing this with members of the same gender. Such behavior would hinder the soul because it shifts the focus of one's life onto the flesh, which is not where the focus of a Christian should be. In recent years, gay people have come to see themselves as a specific minority group facing persecution, and this has led to an unfortunate tendency of some gays to overemphasize gay sex and sexuality as a way to overcome low self-esteem and fight back against those in society who hate gays. I believe this trend is not beneficial to the spirituality of people with a homosexual orientation. Being gay should just be a small part of who one is, not one's whole identity.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:03 PM

264 posts, read 696,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
It's clear that the Bible considers to practice homosexuality a sin.
Before anyone starts screaming, I know that lots of people don't accept what the Bible has to say about this or maybe any other topic. But the Bible clearly does not accept the practice (I say" practice of " to differentiate from possibly having homosexual tendencies) of homosexuality. That was the OP's question.
That's also the official position of the Roman Catholic Church, which has a great many members with such tendencies. But I'd probably better not get into that subject in this thread.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:28 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,908,023 times
Buddhism is a religious faith, not a lifestyle.

Who in their right mind would choose being gay as a lifestyle? Wouldn't it be easier to be a biker, a jock, an artist, or even a goth? Most gays go through an intense period of self-loathing resulting in prayer, begging, alienation, anger, fear, depression, and even suicide. They would give anything to not be what they are. A lifestyle is something you can choose or lay aside, a concious decision to live a certain way. Talk to some gay people sometime and see what they went through when it finally dawned on them they were gay and it wasn't going to change.

Being gay is no more a lifestyle choice than having cancer.

FWIW, there are gay animals. Homosexuality is not exclusive to humans.

Being gay may be against the Bible, but so are many other things. As I see it, Jesus loves gays as much as he loved the tax collectors, whores, lepers, indigent, or anyone else who is persecuted because they are disadvantaged or different. If Jesus is truly the son of God then all the other words, other prophecies, other laws, are superceded by His demand that we follow the Golden Rule. So while the rest of the Bible may condemn homosexuality as it condemns wearing mixed fibers or mixing meat and dairy, the Word and love of Jesus swept away all that.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
Being gay may be against the Bible, but so are many other things. As I see it, Jesus loves gays as much as he loved the tax collectors, whores, lepers, indigent, or anyone else who is persecuted because they are disadvantaged or different. If Jesus is truly the son of God then all the other words, other prophecies, other laws, are superceded by His demand that we follow the Golden Rule. So while the rest of the Bible may condemn homosexuality as it condemns wearing mixed fibers or mixing meat and dairy, the Word and love of Jesus swept away all that.
Woo-hoo! Amen! Of course, that doesn't mean we are to run around sinning all the more that grace may abound, God forbid, but I think this is a great point.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:35 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,297,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post

If Jesus is truly the son of God then all the other words, other prophecies, other laws, are superceded by His demand that we follow the Golden Rule. So while the rest of the Bible may condemn homosexuality as it condemns wearing mixed fibers or mixing meat and dairy, the Word and love of Jesus swept away all that.
I don't know why I get into these threads but here goes...of course, Jesus loves gay people, but the New Testament condemns the practice of homosexuality just as much as the Old Testament did. So I fail to see how the Word and love Jesus swept all this away.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:49 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,590,065 times
God hates sin. People who continually live in sin don't have their eyes set upon the Lord whether it be Homosexuality, pre-marital hetrosexual sex and marital infidelity.You are rejecting God and the love He has for you. So yes homosexuality definitely goes against the Bible

Old 08-06-2007, 02:03 PM

103 posts, read 92,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Kitten View Post
Thankyou for posting. And no, not a troll, just not a regular on this particular category of CD. I would like to have some honest opinions, without either sides of the pary just being jaded and bitter, and possibly getting into a asterisk post-studded match!

Good to have you here, and don't worry - it's easy to be labeled a troll here, especially if you ask questions or point out facts that the fundamentalists don't like

My response to this question is always - who cares if being gay is against the Bible? The Bible only applies to those who choose to believe in it.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:24 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,384,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttack_ View Post
Good to have you here, and don't worry - it's easy to be labeled a troll here, especially if you ask questions or point out facts that the fundamentalists don't like

My response to this question is always - who cares if being gay is against the Bible? The Bible only applies to those who choose to believe in it.

I care! I believe in the Bible. My feet would surely start smoking if I tried setting foot in a church at the time being..it's been a long time. But I'm not ashamed to say I love and believe in God, and am constantly trying to make a better attempt at being a better influence to other people that God is in my life, and that I'm living up to his wishes to the best of my abilities. I live in sin, we all do, but it doesn't stop me from wanting to know more about what is out there, that I don't know how to deal with, and how to deal with it.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAttack_ View Post

Unless what the fundies say the Bible says is true--then it matters a great deal, doesn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality