Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 01:06 AM

267 posts, read 534,663 times

Advertisements

Now, I realize Mr. Lee is probably elaborate hoax, but what if it was really possible in the future for us to do this sort of thing without a serious threat to a man's life? Would it violate your religious sensibilities?

Does in vitro fertilization already violate your religious sensibilities? Would it matter about the gender of who was having the child for it too?

Forgive me if there's a similar thread I overlooked in my search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 06:52 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,838,145 times
I would totally support a man carrying and giving birth to a child. As a Labor and Delivery nurse it would be fun to see all those dumb male comments coming from the bed instead of standing beside it.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:53 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,766,734 times
i cant get past the um, whole "birth" thing mental pic here to even start to give a response....lol sorry

Old 07-24-2007, 06:59 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,208,925 times
Absolutely ridiculous! Not even worth commenting on

Old 07-24-2007, 07:05 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,248,476 times
It would give a whole new meaning to the phrase, "Ream him out a new one."

And No, I don't like the idea of invitro fertilization. If two people have a problem conceiving naturally, it may be some sort of genetic defect that doesn't need to be passed on to the following generations. The babies do have a higher incidence of birth defects. And there's that unanswerable question of what to do with the extras.

But my main objection is that if a person wants to "give birth" bad enough to go through the process, I wonder if that person has the mental attitude needed to rear a well adjusted child. Some may, but I suspect that many don't.

Having said that, I think that the newer medications that help bring on natural conceptions do a lot of good, but I draw the line at the out-of-the-body pretri dish "conceptions."

Old 07-24-2007, 07:09 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,690,922 times
I would love to see a man heavily pregnant, with swollen feet, mood swings and odd food cravings and it would be refreshing to see one give birth ! However it seems very unlikely and very un-natural !

Last edited by Mooseketeer; 07-24-2007 at 07:19 AM..

Old 07-24-2007, 07:34 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,927,724 times
Since something like 30% of births now are done by C-section, I don't see how this would be "un-natural" for a man to carry a child and then have a C-section at the end. It certainly might insult people's sensibilities (not even religious sensibilities), but just like stay-at-home Dads, people would get used to it I imagine.

And padgett2, those are some of the worst things I've ever read someone say about a couple who may be looking at in vitro. My wife and I have been blessed with the ability to conceive 4 children (1 miscarriage), but we know couples who can't. Why would you make people who are already struggling with a very difficult reality feel even more sub-human? Obviously creating "extras" is a legitimate bone of contention, but as far as the parents' genetics and state of mind, that is a stretch.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:43 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,218,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Since something like 30% of births now are done by C-section, I don't see how this would be "un-natural" for a man to carry a child and then have a C-section at the end. It certainly might insult people's sensibilities (not even religious sensibilities), but just like stay-at-home Dads, people would get used to it I imagine.

And padgett2, those are some of the worst things I've ever read someone say about a couple who may be looking at in vitro. My wife and I have been blessed with the ability to conceive 4 children (1 miscarriage), but we know couples who can't. Why would you make people who are already struggling with a very difficult reality feel even more sub-human? Obviously creating "extras" is a legitimate bone of contention, but as far as the parents' genetics and state of mind, that is a stretch.
First of all, LMBO at Irish's comment above...

My wife and I also have 3 children, 4 pregnancies. Say we had only 1, and wanted more, but her uterus was damaged beyond the ability to carry during the 1st birth. The doctor tells us that we can carry inside of me...

Well, I'd do it! Besides...I've already got a pregnant belly anyway. Isn't life life? No matter how it gets here?

Old 07-24-2007, 07:46 AM

8,002 posts, read 12,329,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
I would totally support a man carrying and giving birth to a child. As a Labor and Delivery nurse it would be fun to see all those dumb male comments coming from the bed instead of standing beside it.
I'm right with you on that one, Irishmom!

Old 07-24-2007, 07:53 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,248,476 times
Default For Magellan

I can understand how you feel about this. I really do. I have been around a long time and have known many couple that not having children has been a real burden. It is especially bad if one of the couple blames the other for the problem. It's a tricky situation. Most manage to have a good marriage in spite of it. Others can't handle it and the marriage ends in divorce.

Here's one of my thoughts.....some people have babies because they love children and the child is an expression of their love for each other.
And there's the other kind of people that have children because deep down inside, they need to prove that they are female, or male, and not having children makes them feel less of a being.

The urge to bear children is very, very strong, but it doesn't insure them being a good parent. The same can be said for children conceived naturally, of course. If they just truly want children, they could adopt. It's that wanting of only the genetic child that, to me, seems somewhat peculiar. It's something that I can't relate to. But then, I guess those people that desire ONLY their own blood line, don't understand why I feel the way I do either.

It's just that it's an unnatural way to conceive, especially if there is a surrogate mother involved. I can't bring myself to think that's it's a good idea, no matter how badly the mother wants to give birth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality