Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 09:08 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,599,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
It's crazy man, she use to be on talk shows getting major air time talking about real issues and getting black people to think! She was so regal.

But now days, BET (which was sold to Viacom) and other talk shows are PURE GARBAGE and do nothing but propagate sex scandals, materialism, and other nonsense!!

Thank god for the Internet; well, at least while the internet is still uncensored.
LOL...I remember those days well. My friend has sent me a few youtube clips of her speaking straight truth. I agree with you that TV(BET and talk shows especially) do nothing but highlight ignorance. Sadly, many people think that life is nothing but one long rap video. I cannot even listen to urban radio and many pop stations as well, because the music has gone down with other forms of entertainment as well. Thank goodness for old school jazz!!

Old 04-29-2010, 09:15 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,046,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynight View Post
LOL...I remember those days well. My friend has sent me a few youtube clips of her speaking straight truth. I agree with you that TV(BET and talk shows especially) do nothing but highlight ignorance. Sadly, many people think that life is nothing but one long rap video. I cannot even listen to urban radio and many pop stations as well, because the music has gone down with other forms of entertainment as well. Thank goodness for old school jazz!!
Tell me about it... And if you try and talk to generation Rx about how Lil Wayne is GARBAGE,and how there is more to life then clubbing, they look at you with a glazed over empty stare.

And yea, Jazz hits the spot for me from time to time, but I'm deeply into West Coast G funk/Funk.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Tell me about it... And if you try and talk to generation Rx about how Lil Wayne is GARBAGE,and how there is more to life then clubbing, they look at you with a glazed over empty stare.

And yea, Jazz hits the spot for me from time to time, but I'm deeply into West Coast G funk/Funk.
I would have never heard of any LIL Wayne song or similar artist if my niece and younger cousins did not blast their songs all of the time. It is even gotten to a point where many get offended if any adult offers them constructive criticism.

I read what you said about Africa and I understand...I am a black foreigner myself originally from Central America and even own land there, but the area I own land is way too dangerous for my tastes. Crackheads live by my family's land and drug wars are common. Plus there are few opportunities for decent young men to make it. I have heard from family members back home that with BET coming into the country more and more youth are trying to live that lifestyle, even my own cousins.

As for West Coast G funk, even though I am from the east coast I liked G Funk even better what was coming out of my city. Even my father would listen to it with me sometimes, though he was never a huge fan.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
What you don't know?
You love us??

Old 04-30-2010, 07:04 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,916,262 times
Quote:
You love us??
Well, Yes and have big hands for da ball.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
I would have never heard of any LIL Wayne song or similar artist if my niece and younger cousins did not blast their songs all of the time. It is even gotten to a point where many get offended if any adult offers them constructive criticism.
Yea, young people don't want to hear it, but at the same time, I can't blame them. The adults running the world are creating a mess so they instinctively know that they need to take us with a grain of salt.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:33 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,916,262 times
Quote:
Yea, young people don't want to hear it, but at the same time, I can't blame them. The adults running the world are creating a mess so they instinctively know that they need to take us with a grain of salt.
Damn those whiper snappers, not listening to us. Where's my cane? Oh my Bunyans. Who stole my tennis ball?

Old 04-30-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Damn those whiper snappers, not listening to us. Where's my cane? Oh my Bunyans. Who stole my tennis ball?
lol

Old 04-30-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
True True. We were the ones who set these standards.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:17 PM

982 posts, read 3,489,528 times
I'm black, so I'm totally comfortable in saying we have the same wants, needs, desires as any other group of people. You've been together 7 years and plan to eventually get married...obviously you're doing something right. Just keep that up.

From my experience with black men, they aren't as uhm...appreciative of our strengths as other men are. I think they see us as competing with them rather than seeing us as contributors who are bringing something to the table that makes the relationship and everything that comes with it much easier. Just as you would do with any other man, cater to him, be honest/loyal to him, and be his "homey/lover/friend" as R. Kelly said. The better you treat him, the better he will treat you, and the happier you will both be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy4m3 View Post
I am 29 and I have been with my boyfriend for seven years. We have a pretty good relationship, I am just interested in how to keep it healthy and happy. I am particularly interested in what other black men have to say but appreciate all input. What are some complaints that black men have with black women?? What are some warning signs to look for if things start to go awry??

We are planning to get married when we can afford it, needless to say its not at the top of our list.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.