Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 07:44 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,030,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaelgirl View Post
Wow. What a treasure. Thank you for saying this.

I can't take full credit for it! I got the general gist from the book The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Amazing book, you must read it. It's touching, slightly disturbing, and emotionally raw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 08:03 PM

295 posts, read 838,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
I can't take full credit for it! I got the general gist from the book The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Amazing book, you must read it. It's touching, slightly disturbing, and emotionally raw.
Mango Tango, I loved all your posts. Here's a CD hug for you!

******************HUG*************************

Here's what I've learned:

- Singledom is liberating.

- He isn't going to change. Don't attempt to change him. Either accept him for who he is or find someone to suit you better.

- Another person will not make you happy. YOU will make you happy.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:37 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,856,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyShouldIWorry View Post
For most people, what they say they want and actually want are two different things.
Good one. Many single men can identify with this. They actually believed that women wanted a man who was thoughtful, reasonably ambitious, had it together, didn't need them as a maid and treated them with respect/as equals. Either the thrice divorced guys are very convincing liars or this just isn't the case.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:50 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,236,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgNCATL View Post
I have learned that the only person you can trust 100% is yourself.
this, pretty much.

and, you don't need someone to be happy, people are generally full of it and are rarely up front with you, and pouring your heart out to someone is generally a bad idea.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:55 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,030,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Organized Mess View Post
Mango Tango, I loved all your posts. Here's a CD hug for you!

******************HUG*************************
This made me go AWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!

Old 07-21-2009, 09:41 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,684,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBmom View Post
I have learned over the years that I am not capable of changing anyone, I can only change my reactions to them. Once you learn this you are a happier person.
I have also learned that no matter how much you think you love someone, you can move on and be happy without them. You cannot make someone love you. If it doesn't work for them then it's not working for either of you. Best to move on and find someone who will love you as much as you love them.
This is great.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:59 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie3 View Post
I have learned that feeling like you absolutely cannot live without this person - is not the same thing as love.

So true.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:02 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooDory View Post
I learned that loving someone, and staying in love with them is not an uncontrollable feeling, but a decision. If you get married and PROMISE to spend the rest of your life with someone, for better or for worse, expect there will be worse times and that not loving someone anymore is a decision, and not an uncontrollable emotion. Stay married, and love the other person, even when you don't feel like it. It does wonders for the relationship. Watch "Fireproof" the movie. The message is true and I've experienced it myself. I wanted to leave, but decided to uphold my promise to love lhim for better or for worse. When i CHOSE to love him even through the times I wanted to cholke the life out of him, my love for him grew and things changed in our marraige, for the better. I'm glad I stayed and didn't take the 'scape goat.

Yup, and at least you didn't rope/reel in some poor sod, steal his heart and then stomp it in the ground in the process of your "finding" yourself and your, "promise" again. And then use Jesus for an excuse. Now that would have been cruel and spoken volumes as to your true character, or lack thereof.

Not everyone that marries has made the right match or decision (obviously! Sign? Everyday is an exhausting struggle because you are sooo different). As we all know, we often love those who aren't good for us. .

Don't get married until you're at least 26 or 27. Give yourself a chance to identify your needs and wants so that they are well defined and less likely to change over the years.

Last edited by picklejuice; 07-22-2009 at 08:25 AM..

Old 07-22-2009, 08:02 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingLA2010 View Post
i probably could have made that a shorter title. oh well.

anyway i didnt realize until recently that just because a guy is flirting with you, doesnt mean he is interested. it is very frustrating, but i learned not to take flirts seriously at all. i didnt learn it until i asked out this guy in my grad program. he had flirted with me a few times and even once said something like "would you ever go out with a mexican guy?" and i took that as a sign he was interested. he wasnt.
That the Woman is always right....

Old 07-22-2009, 08:10 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
^^^^

That's what my wife tells me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships