Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 10:34 AM

12,585 posts, read 17,000,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
If a woman tries to cook and is terrible is that consider domestic violence?
Only if she burned it...get's so ticked off she throws the hot pan with its contents and it hits the guy.

Then perhaps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 12:21 PM

18,099 posts, read 27,567,692 times
Two grown adults shouldn't be slapping each other in the face ever.

My ex-girlfriend, with whom I was living with, slapped me and I told her, "That's it." I left the cabin that night and told her I was going to stay the night at friends. She knew we were done and we were.

So it had come to that. But the relationship was on the outs long before that. We were doing counseling and everything. We even did counseling together! What a concept. I think one of our problems was that we were living together and not married. But thank God we got to know each other enough to find out we weren't meant to be.

We started the relationship way too fast, were each others' grudge-you-know-what from a previously failed marriage, and ... in two weeks we were living together after first dating and after 4 months, we wanted to kill each other.

We were both in 12 step recovery together (bad bad bad place to meet a SO! Take my advice! I'm not using it! We each even waited a year! And it still didn't work.) and we had some good times for sure. But then one day, self-will raised it's ugly head and we just should not have been together. I wanted to break up after a trip to France and she ... bought me a puppy dog. Another bad bad bad idea.

Here's the really sad thing for me. This is the final straw that broke the camels back. Do you remember when John Elway and the Denver Broncos won their first Super Bowl? Well I do. I'm a Bronco fan. So we come home from the Super Bowl party and I park myself on "her" couch to watch some ESPN Bronco Highlights on "her" TV, and she says, "Come to bed." I say, "Oh sure. Just let me watch a little Bronco highlights." She comes in the room and turns off the TV. I go up and try to turn it back on and she punches me in the arm. I say, "This ain't gonna work." She slaps me and I start laughing. I say, "I'm sorry, but this cannot happen. And I don't mean to hurt you mentally or any other way, but you just aren't even worth it."

Don't mess with a man's football. You don't have to like football. But there are moments in a man's life that are just sacred.

Physical violence is unacceptable. Especially for a couple of sober people. Emotional abuse is no picnic either. Get yourself in good enough shape before you try to go messin' with someone else's life.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:29 PM

78,809 posts, read 61,019,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
If a woman slaps a man on the face is that considered domestic violence?
With what?

Old 08-29-2013, 07:25 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,449,712 times
North Korea's Kim reportedly has ex-girlfriend, 11 others executed - latimes.com

Old 08-30-2013, 10:05 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,319,254 times
If the couple is in a domestic relationship and there is a physical assault it is domestic violence. There are some states and counties where it is an indefensible act and the police are obligated to arrest the aggressor. Were this to happen in a relationship, it is a point of no return. Someone who uses violence for any reason in any relationship is not good for interpersonal contact. There is NEVER justification for this; no violence, no peace, not good grounds to start on or maintain. Physical may be the strongest manifestation but any time there is a control issue, there is a volatile imbalance and the relationship is in danger. Violence is malicious behavior, pure and simple.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:18 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,494,171 times
Quote:
It can be, according to letter of the law. But generally speaking, the term "domestic violence" is used to denote an ongoing pattern of physical violence. It is rarely attached to a single incident, unless that incident is unusually brutal.

Last edited by RogersParkGuy; 08-30-2013 at 10:26 PM..

Old 08-30-2013, 11:29 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,164,119 times
Quote:
No but I saw a video where a girl slapped a guy in public (caught on tape) and was curious if the guy had any grounds in court.
Did he so something such as touch her sexually ,another poster above asked. It would be very unlikely a woman would just walk up and slap a random strange man on the street...

Old 08-30-2013, 11:42 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,250,756 times
The answer to your question is "YES" but statistically men are too embarassed to file charges.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:53 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,945,231 times
One slap, depending on the context, is not automatically domestic violence.

Let's not confuse "fighting" with "abuse".

If it's a one off, and in the middle of a heated argument, well, it's not right, but it's not enough to be running to the nearest divorce lawyer and shelter.
May couples fight, and many couples do come to blows, it depends on the relationship.

If it's associated with mental abuse, and/or happens repeatedly, then yes, it is.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:05 AM

706 posts, read 1,208,173 times
Quote:
According to google

Domestic violence defined as:

violent or aggressive behavior within the home, typically involving the violent abuse of a spouse or partner.
"police, social services, and voluntary agencies are working together to tackle domestic violence"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships