Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 04:49 PM

614 posts, read 1,237,886 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering about other couples financial arrangement are/were when you got married? For example, does your husband/wife pays for abc and the other pays for xyz? Or is it that one pays for it all or is there a joint in everything? I'm just wondering? What is/was yours?

To clarify, I'm not talking about the wedding itself but the life together afterwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 04:54 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Well, my parents have separate accounts. Always have. My dad takes care of the mortgage, my mom takes care of the utilities and food. It's about even. Then, they can take their spare money and do whatever they want with it. My mom likes going on gambling trips to Reno and my dad likes hunting.

Me and my fiancee have separate accounts as well, we split everything 50/50 like rent/food/utilities, and we can spend the rest of our money on ourselves if we wish. We just split things that are used by both of us.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:01 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
We have separate bank accounts. He pays for everything house related because he makes 3 million times more money than I do. I pay for all of my own personal expenses - clothes shopping, ballroom dance stuff, cars. We do have a joint account for buying groceries - but I don't contribute to it. I spend it and he replenishes it.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:01 PM

614 posts, read 1,237,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Well, my parents have separate accounts. Always have. My dad takes care of the mortgage, my mom takes care of the utilities and food. It's about even. Then, they can take their spare money and do whatever they want with it. My mom likes going on gambling trips to Reno and my dad likes hunting.

Me and my fiancee have separate accounts as well, we split everything 50/50 like rent/food/utilities, and we can spend the rest of our money on ourselves if we wish. We just split things that are used by both of us.
If you don't me asking but do you and your fiancee make more or less the same amount? Would you feel the same if one made significanlty more than the other?

Old 03-13-2009, 05:17 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
My husband and I have a joint account that handles the mortgage, insurance, groceries, utilities, doctor visits, etc. He makes more than I do and contributes more to the joint account than I do; it's roughly proportional to our earnings. All our leftover money goes into our personal accounts, which we can do whatever we want with. If we need extra money for something and funds are low, one of us will kick in some personal funds.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:22 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
He makes the money and I spend it

No, really I do contractual work and make money. We don't separate the money...no need to.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:31 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,798,260 times
Since day one we have had her accounts my accounts our account. I have managed to do OK and put a crap load of my earnings into sheltered college and age dependent pay outs so they will be fine financially. (They being the boys) Just now my wife after 11 years is making a good salary. She has been squirling away money thinking I don't know. Ha I just want her to sign a paper that says I want nothing of what she has and she gets nothing of what I have. Hell she can even keep the house. I wouldn't want to live in the memories anyway. The joint account pays the cars, house, utilities and groceries, she puts in like 30% of her check and I deposit a set amount monthly. If it runs low one of us picks up what we need but it is rarely low. We live well with in our means.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:36 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,222,089 times
He has an account, I have an account and we have joint accounts.
We both usually contribute to the joint account to pay bills monthly.

Now that I'm making so much less money than usual he is picking up the slack for me by putting most of his pay check in the joint and we both just use that.
I did the same for him when he was laid off for a while a few years ago. Fortunately I was making a lot at that time so we've always been comfortable.

We also both have a large savings cushion in our own personal account (about 8 months of living expenses each), and then the rest of our savings are in joint accounts.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:37 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,357,206 times
no offense, but I can't possibly be the only person who thinks all of that sounds more like a business arrangement than a marriage

Old 03-13-2009, 05:45 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Business arrangement or not, if this works for most of us, don't knock it. Marriage, by the way IS a contract, thus it is a pseudo-business arrangement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships