Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 01:01 AM

1,863 posts, read 4,310,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog1 View Post
Did this work, they say most people are divoreced bue to finances or in-laws............sounds like a good plan, though. (just curious)
Really? I never heard that in-laws had that much clout to lead a marriage to divorce. I figured it was money and children over other things (infidelity, drinking, etc). My first MIL was a saint. Now that she's no longer my MIL I guess my odds are the next one will be evil. I think I'll begin looking for mates who's parents have already passed away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 01:23 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,596,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatitosmommy View Post
no offense, but I can't possibly be the only person who thinks all of that sounds more like a business arrangement than a marriage
Keep in mind that people probably only had one account in the old days b/c only one person was making any money. Wifey still had to access said money to run the household.

I don't think how many bank accounts you choose to have is any reflection on your marriage or commitment to each other. In fact, it's quite irrelevant, in my opinion. Just b/c some people choose to make a big deal out of it does not mean it holds the same significance for others.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:51 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,765,710 times
"What are your financial arrangements in your marraige?"

We try to make money as often as possible. Right now--things are not going so well.

We have been broke, or close to it for most of the marriage. Couple of good years during the 90's. Now poor yet again, one more time.....all of the kids are struggling to make a living right now too. Financial difficulties and inlaws have got to be the hardest trials of a marriage.

Life has not been easy but we are in this together. The few times we did actually manage to get ahead of the bills, by god those were good times indeed.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:08 AM

23 posts, read 81,768 times
A lot of people now do a prenuptial agreement. No one in their right mind wants to be used by someone else to subsidize that person's overspending and then get dumped, but that happens alot. Divorce is too easy and divorce settlements get so costly, especially for men, that I am surprised people still do get married. Many have been divorced more than once. Very few people get married for the right reasons now. So many people are trying to see what they can get out of it instead of trying to see what they can add to it. My parents were married for over sixty years when they died, two years apart from each other. They had to work at it with the attitude that they were working for their family and what they could add to help each other, not worrying that they weren't ecstatic every minute of the day. Ashton Kutcher was in a movie that there was a speech by the actor who played his father that really made sense. He pointed out the pictures in an album. He said, "Those were the good days... and the rest were just the days in between. Those are most days." Between the talk shows and Dr. Phil and all of the other media hype press and all, a person can get the idea that everyone is supposed to be happy because their spouse is supposed to make them happy. They don't realise that is your own job to make yourself happy. Some people just aren't cut out to be married and have a family but they keep trying through multiple divorces and it is really sad. Society tells us things should be a certain way and NOTHING is true for everyone. You have to decide what you want, no one else can know that for you.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:38 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,535,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Business arrangement or not, if this works for most of us, don't knock it. Marriage, by the way IS a contract, thus it is a pseudo-business arrangement.
Most people living in LaQuinta probably have few $$$ problems to worry about. Current economy notwithstanding.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:06 AM

2,404 posts, read 7,923,542 times
We have joint accounts. Even his business account is a joint account in my name as well. I do not work, I'm still a student, so obviously he is the one contributing to them. We share everything, and that is the way our parents were as well.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:15 AM

10,228 posts, read 16,352,383 times
I now pay the mortgage-utilities-garbage-lan line-car insurance-my own cell phone-my own credit card.

We split the car payment.

He pays for all the gasoline (I don't drive), his own cell phone, and his credit cards (used primarily for his home business).

I pay for the annual homeowners insurance and he pays for the annual stack of wood pellets.

Food is bought by whomever has more money on hand at the time.

It all averages out to pretty close to the same.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:19 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,583,078 times
Everything we have is joint.

We both have direct deposit so every Friday, I stop by the bank and get us some spending cash...not much...about $40.00 per.
With the exception of the regular bills, groceries included, any purchase over $75.00 is discussed.
We;re usually in agreement tho.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:29 AM

337 posts, read 828,526 times
It is all together and has been since I moved half way across the country for him (us).

I just fell that keeping it separate is like saying I know this isn't going to work, this is mine, this is yours and this is ours.

That is me and I'm a southern girl. I would NEVER ask my husband for money. I have a career and make my own money and he doesn't ask me for money.

We have a deal, if it is over a certain amount we talk about it. If not, we don't.

I pay the bills and handle all our finances. He like it that way and so do I.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:23 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,711,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcatheart View Post
If you don't me asking but do you and your fiancee make more or less the same amount? Would you feel the same if one made significanlty more than the other?

I make a little more than 4x my fiancee. But he's also in college finishing up his BS, so I'm waiting for him to play catch up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships