Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 05:01 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,202,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Yep. We had someone post a thread in the NM forum and she didn't like the answers so she closed it.
Interesting people... If you ask for advice, you should be prepared to hear all kinds of viewpoints. I don't care to air my current dirty laundry and nobody bothers me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 06:02 PM

820 posts, read 2,869,916 times
Optiflex - Tried to rep ya, but just like lovesmountains.... I couldn't! I don't spend enough time spreading it around! Anyway, good thoughts and I couldn't agree with ya more!! If you ask for honest opinions, be ready to get them. Hopefully in a mature and fair manner, but quite possibly not what you're wanting to hear.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:10 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,681,523 times
If I see something that catches my eye, I will read the thread, and respond, to my best opinion, whether its something you want to hear, or not. I`m not going to candy coat situations for anybody.... I try to give the best advice as I see fit. (Period.)

Old 07-15-2008, 06:12 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,262,500 times
My theory is it is always a gamble when posting a thread so be ready for anything to come up and if you don't like it, that was the chance that was taken. Suck it up.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:14 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,633,549 times
I think the question always comes up on these boards - does the OP want TRUE opinions or just moral support?

How you reply might enforce or negate their ego.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:29 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,194,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
I think the question always comes up on these boards - does the OP want TRUE opinions or just moral support?

How you reply might enforce or negate their ego.
Most of these threads that ask for advice clearly state that they are looking for opinions. If they want to vent and not have any advice given, then they should say so in their title and first post. Or just say that they are looking for an internet virtual hug. I have seen threads where someone only wanted positive support and that's what they got. But the O.P. was very clear about the purpose of the thread.

If someone is going to get pissed off by the negative replies or get depressed about the unwelcome advice, then they are taking the internet too seriously and need step away from their computer for a while.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Most of these threads that ask for advice clearly state that they are looking for opinions.
Even then, stating something and holding expectations are two different things.

Quote:
If they want to vent and not have any advice given, then they should say so in their title and first post. Or just say that they are looking for an internet virtual hug. I have seen threads where someone only wanted positive support and that's what they got. But the O.P. was very clear about the purpose of the thread.
Even when I post a satirical or parody piece, I'm not sure what will happen. More often than not on this board, it gets ignored, which is fine with me. If I were to have expectations about the replies I get, I'd be in trouble.

Quote:
If someone is going to get pissed off by the negative replies or get depressed about the unwelcome advice, then they are taking the internet too seriously and need step away from their computer for a while.
True, but also true that some respondents have the tact of a flea. They attack the poster instead of the post, they assume numerous things, and they place their own agenda on top of the OP's thread.

That's the nature of anonymous Net communications. People are brave when they they hide, but cowards when exposed to the light.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:08 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,194,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
True, but also true that some respondents have the tact of a flea. They attack the poster instead of the post, they assume numerous things, and they place their own agenda on top of the OP's thread.
I think that most of the respondents start off nice to all the new posters, but when that poster starts making redundant threads with the same theme and self pitying tone, those formerly nice respondents start being more harsh and dishing out the tough love because the poster wasn't helped out by their nicer approach. I can think of several thread starters that fall into this category of making many redundant threads and wallowing in self pity. And I think that at that point, it's better to be brutally honest with them instead of pretending to agree with them and to encourage their misogynist thoughts. Then in real life, they are going to think that they were right because their internet "friends" said so. Of course, what some of these people need is professional counseling... but most people can't afford it.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I think that most of the respondents start off nice to all the new posters, but when that poster starts making redundant threads with the same theme and self pitying tone, those formerly nice respondents start being more harsh and dishing out the tough love because the poster wasn't helped out by their nicer approach. I can think of several thread starters that fall into this category of making many redundant threads and wallowing in self pity. And I think that at that point, it's better to be brutally honest with them instead of pretending to agree with them and to encourage their misogynist thoughts. Then in real life, they are going to think that they were right because their internet "friends" said so. Of course, what some of these people need is professional counseling... but most people can't afford it.
True, true!

And there ARE forums elsewhere on the Net that would gladly indulge them in adoration...

I often think that peer polling is far more effective than professional counseling - and yes, FAR cheaper.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:18 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,262,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Because people don't want honesty. They want validation.
Well said, as always!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships