Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2017, 09:16 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,015,710 times

Advertisements

I used to work with a guy who had the most amazingly gorgeous handwriting, at least in English. His Russian script left something to be desired. My own English script is not nonexistent because of Russian, while my Russian script is usually pretty.

Aah, tangential thinking -- the source of most conversation (or at least, most interesting conversation).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2017, 07:42 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,870,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
Aah, tangential thinking -- the source of most conversation (or at least, most interesting conversation).
And we are able to do this troll-free in this one little corner

Old 11-11-2017, 02:33 PM

52,287 posts, read 52,723,379 times
We went to a fancy shmancy cheese shop yesterday while out and about and picked up some good stuff. Got a nice crusty loaf and a little jar of fig jam and it all worked so nice together.

The shop owner was telling us about this certain French cheese that was officially banned from being eaten while on the bus in France. LOL, it is so smelly and rank that they put their foot down.

Imagine that, the holy grail and practically the birthplace of cheese and they banned it on buses.

I wanted to try it but they only sold it by the half pound and it cost 14 bucks per. LOL, I didn't wanna shell out that much only to not like it and I don't think that they offered samples because the packages were all sealed up. It would have been funny to buy some just for the novelty factor, but whatever, the other cheeses we got they allowed you to purchase a 1/4 pound as the smallest amount which was a good amount.

We had sort of a "food" outing yesterday. We hit up a deli, a French bakery, and a cheese shop. It was a good day.

I just find it a bit frustrating because I wonder if it's just an east coast thing but you see in movies and TV they show deli shops and there are cases and cases of various meats and they all look so good. I can't find one of those here in So Cal. They all are just mostly sandwich shops with just one small case of meats and just not like you see in the movies.

Maybe DontHateme might know of one those types in the south of LA region. I don't wanna have to drive up and past LA. I can't imagine that somewhere in So Cal that these don't exist like they appear to have back east.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:15 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,441,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
We went to a fancy shmancy cheese shop yesterday while out and about and picked up some good stuff. Got a nice crusty loaf and a little jar of fig jam and it all worked so nice together.

The shop owner was telling us about this certain French cheese that was officially banned from being eaten while on the bus in France. LOL, it is so smelly and rank that they put their foot down.

Imagine that, the holy grail and practically the birthplace of cheese and they banned it on buses.

I wanted to try it but they only sold it by the half pound and it cost 14 bucks per. LOL, I didn't wanna shell out that much only to not like it and I don't think that they offered samples because the packages were all sealed up. It would have been funny to buy some just for the novelty factor, but whatever, the other cheeses we got they allowed you to purchase a 1/4 pound as the smallest amount which was a good amount.

We had sort of a "food" outing yesterday. We hit up a deli, a French bakery, and a cheese shop. It was a good day.

I just find it a bit frustrating because I wonder if it's just an east coast thing but you see in movies and TV they show deli shops and there are cases and cases of various meats and they all look so good. I can't find one of those here in So Cal. They all are just mostly sandwich shops with just one small case of meats and just not like you see in the movies.

Maybe DontHateme might know of one those types in the south of LA region. I don't wanna have to drive up and past LA. I can't imagine that somewhere in So Cal that these don't exist like they appear to have back east.
Dude, Imma hook you up!

Ok, so there is Alpine Village in DT Torrance right before the 110 hits the 405 from where you're coming from, nice selection of deli meats and cheeses with a German/Hungarian sausage angle.

Bigger selection (and higher prices) can be had at Giuliano's Delicatessen on the corner of Torrance and Hawthorne Blvds. Obviously featuring Italian products.

Or, you can hit Jons market on 190th just West of Inglewood Avenue. Wide selection, many cultures represented, and fair prices. This store has an in-house BBQ smoker so if you come at the right time you can grab that too. Each of these places have both the behind-the-glass cut-to-order meats and cheeses, and also the prepackaged grab and go stuff. I like the selection at Jons, so many kinds of smoked items and variety of wursts.

If you go to Alpine Village, try the Oldenberger, the way it's sliced it has a flower shape (and it's a great tasting salami too). Can't beat the Hungarian smoked sausage either, pick up a pair! No need to drive north of 190th, and if there's a Jons market in the LB area then you won't even have to get on the freeway.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:53 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,255,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Bigger selection (and higher prices) can be had at Giuliano's Delicatessen on the corner of Torrance and Hawthorne Blvds. Obviously featuring Italian products.
This is so funny. While we were out driving around, we saw a big deli delivery truck and I'm almost positive it was Giuliano's. I told Chow that we should just follow them. lol

What I'm more interested in, is good butcher shops. We shop at Ralph's, and I just can't believe the decline of the quality of their meat (not to mention their produce), especially given what they charge. Can you work your magic there?

Old 11-12-2017, 12:13 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,441,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
This is so funny. While we were out driving around, we saw a big deli delivery truck and I'm almost positive it was Giuliano's. I told Chow that we should just follow them. lol

What I'm more interested in, is good butcher shops. We shop at Ralph's, and I just can't believe the decline of the quality of their meat (not to mention their produce), especially given what they charge. Can you work your magic there?
Quality meat - go to Marukai. They have many locations, or you can go to their main store on Artesia/Western in Gardena (or Tokyo Central & Main, also in Gardena on Redondo Beach Blvd.). They have prime beef from Harris Ranch, sashimi grade seafood, heritage pork, etc. They even have Kobe and Wagyu beef (haven't bought any, too rich for my wallet but I've bought all their sashimi with great results). Even their cheaper quality beef is better than most chain grocers. I get their shaved 'shabu shabu' style rib eye for around $5-$6 per lb, great for Japanese dishes but also perfect for philly cheese steaks. For choice grade beef steaks or prime rib roasts, I go to Vons, they have a money back guarantee on their steaks. It's the only chain grocer I will buy beef from.

Marukai has a decent produce section too, they are very particular about quality. I've bought cool stuff there too, like cherimoya, dragon fruit, Ugli, burdock root, Japanese sweet potatoes, satsumas, etc. Their deli section has a wide variety of sushi rolls made fresh daily in-house, as well as karaage, yakisoba bowls, donburi, and a whole fresh bakery department. If you go on the weekend, it has a carnival atmosphere and they have stuff cooking/sampling throughout the store. We always have fun.

Old 11-12-2017, 01:50 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,255,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Quality meat - go to Marukai. They have many locations, or you can go to their main store on Artesia/Western in Gardena (or Tokyo Central & Main, also in Gardena on Redondo Beach Blvd.). They have prime beef from Harris Ranch, sashimi grade seafood, heritage pork, etc. They even have Kobe and Wagyu beef (haven't bought any, too rich for my wallet but I've bought all their sashimi with great results). Even their cheaper quality beef is better than most chain grocers. I get their shaved 'shabu shabu' style rib eye for around $5-$6 per lb, great for Japanese dishes but also perfect for philly cheese steaks. For choice grade beef steaks or prime rib roasts, I go to Vons, they have a money back guarantee on their steaks. It's the only chain grocer I will buy beef from.

Marukai has a decent produce section too, they are very particular about quality. I've bought cool stuff there too, like cherimoya, dragon fruit, Ugli, burdock root, Japanese sweet potatoes, satsumas, etc. Their deli section has a wide variety of sushi rolls made fresh daily in-house, as well as karaage, yakisoba bowls, donburi, and a whole fresh bakery department. If you go on the weekend, it has a carnival atmosphere and they have stuff cooking/sampling throughout the store. We always have fun.
That sounds really great. Thanks for taking the time. I trust your advice, as I recall your holiday menus.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:02 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,015,710 times
It's almost painful to read these latest posts.

I miss the company of interesting folk who also happen to be foodies.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
It's almost painful to read these latest posts.

I miss the company of interesting folk who also happen to be foodies.
Where did they go?

Old 11-13-2017, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
That sounds really great. Thanks for taking the time. I trust your advice, as I recall your holiday menus.
I'm looking forward to a good holiday menu! This might be the first time in the past few years I don't order Chinese food to be delivered on Christmas Eve.

Are you working on one, DontH8Me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships