Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2017, 04:07 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,660,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
We've really scaled things down as well. As a full time student, money is too tight to mention anyways. My daughter and I will be baking a dozen or more different kinds of cookies and I plan to wrap sampler boxes and trays of our goodies for gifts.

I just wish I could fast forward to the end of this semester because this one has been a real humdinger.

To Sea of Grass and Chowhound - I went to Jons before thanksgiving and took a few snaps with my phone to illustrate their deli department. I'm going to try to get those photos posted in my profile tonight
I love getting homemade goodies...and I think cookie exchange parties are the best...my dd is in med school and she is going to one tonight and wearing an ugly sweater!!! It's so not about gifts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 05:00 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
I finally landed a job. I interviewed with a company a few weeks ago and this past Friday I get a call from their HR guy with a job offer.

It's funny because when he calls me I answer and as we were talking it was starting to sound like a rejection. Just the tone and the way he was speaking I thought for a few seconds that I was going to get the "thank you for your time, but no thanks" rap. He starts in saying "well, we appreciate your time in meeting with us..." and then he says "You interviewed wonderfully and we'd like to extend you an offer." LOL, I thought for sure after the you interviewed wonderfully part I was going to get the "but we've decided to go another direction" I thought for sure that was happening but obviously it didn't.

It's funny too because this is a new position for me. It's within the same industry and my skills are about 60 to 70 percent there but I'll be learning a good bit about differing phases of project. When a new building is being built my role was in the last 10 percent or so. We'd come in in the later phases of a project to do our work. This new position will having me checking in during all phases, design all the way through til the building owner takes ownership of the building. Without going into too much detail the job is sort of like an inspector. We work for the building owners directly to act as a second set of eyes, we review project designs and check in and verify that during various phases of a project that thing are going along as designed per plans and specs.

Should be interesting to see this side of the business. Looking forward to a new phase of work. I've got at least 15 plus years left and my last job was just killing me. I was so burnt out I didn't think I'd make it.

This position doesn't come up that often on all of the various job searching websites. Matter of fact there had been long gaps in listing and most of the listings that did show up they wanted extensive travel and mostly to the east coast. I wasn't down with that. I had the last couple of months had just decided to go back to my old line of work and was just dreading making the phones calls to get started back up. The eleventh hour I see a couple of new listings and just said screw it, one last ditch effort to see what happens.

It's like something out of a movie, the very last minute I end up getting the position I wanted. I figured if I didn't get it I'd go back to one of my old employers and just keep looking on the side, that was the potential plan but luckily it didn't pan out that way. When I called up my last supervisor for a letter of recommendation he spent about ten minutes trying to hire me back again. He told me I'd always have a home with them if I choose so.

I got three letters of recommendation from the various guys I worked for at my old job. They were really very glowing letters, which took me back a little. I got a couple of what I felt were harsh rejections from a couple of companies I applied with and sometimes it's nice in life to get some external praise or recognition. I don't always need it but sometimes the right amount and the right time in your life can really help you out. I have posted this sentiment on the forum in other places and this experience has really taught me the value of giving people that work for or under you, or even your peers, to reach and say "Hey, you did a good job on that" or something along those lines can do wonders for people.

It doesn't cost ya anything and some good will can put a little spring in someone's step.

Old 12-03-2017, 06:54 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,660,273 times
Congratulations Chow and Mrs. too! Life sometimes works out for the best and I'm glad the job gods shined on you!!! You are right about telling people when they do extra good work...being appreciated does wonders for people self-esteem...

Old 12-03-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Congratulations Chow and Mrs. too! Life sometimes works out for the best and I'm glad the job gods shined on you!!! You are right about telling people when they do extra good work...being appreciated does wonders for people self-esteem...
Thanks.

A while back I interviewed with a company and it was quite an extensive interview process. They flew me up to northern CA where their main office was located. I spent three days working with their people. It was an interesting experience. I ultimately didn't get the job and that experience sorta shook my confidence a bit. I thought I did ok but it turns out that the reason why I didn't get the job was that I wasn't "gregarious" enough. I had the technical chops but the position requires a certain level of schmoozing with various contractors and various trades.

I do know that I didn't come across as confident as I could have and again, this all wraps up under learning experiences because when I interviewed with this company that hired me I was in the zone, I was confident and really poised and just sorta owned it for a lack of another term. There were a couple of people in the room and there were a couple of people on a conference call during the interview. I felt at ease and felt like I deserved to be in the room and they knew it, I knew it, and it came across. Not to toot my own horn, but like I said, I was in the zone.

I'm a late bloomer to the interviewing process because in the past people I knew hired me and the interview process was just a formality. I knew I was getting the job. This here was different.

Last edited by Chowhound; 12-03-2017 at 07:43 PM..

Old 12-04-2017, 06:07 AM

622 posts, read 396,452 times
Congratulations on the new job Chow. I hope it's a good fit. There's nothing worse than dreading to get up and go to work when the job is killing you. Been there, done that. I too started in a new direction recently. Loving it. Good luck to you!

Old 12-04-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz Ree View Post
Congratulations on the new job Chow. I hope it's a good fit. There's nothing worse than dreading to get up and go to work when the job is killing you. Been there, done that. I too started in a new direction recently. Loving it. Good luck to you!
Thanks.

I too hope it's a good fit. I probably should have made a change a long time ago. I was so burnt out at what I was doing that it was just ridiculous. My supervisor during a performance review a couple of years ago even said so much to me. He said that I just don't seem like my heart was in it and it wasn't. I really needed a change and hopefully this will be something different. I'm not saying this job will save me and all, but it certainly is a bit different. Like I posted earlier I've got about 15 or so years left to work and hopefully this new gig will be a bit of a change and help mix it up.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:42 PM

814 posts, read 760,819 times
Why are old threads not locked?

You got people replying to an OP written 10 years ago.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:51 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,016,357 times
While it can seem goofy and useless, sometimes newer people just want to discuss something. Responding to an OP eight years gone is pointless, but other times people just want to talk.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:15 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
I get discussing the subject matter...but replying to the particulars of the situation, it's just sillysauce. I've always assumed that brand new posters did a Google search about something, came across the thread, didn't realize it was old, and made a new account to speak to it.

This site is after all, heavily indexed by the Google and stuff here will come up in searches there.

Although... Thinking about a recent situation, I HAVE found myself speaking to someone about the general idea, and then the conversation getting a little prickly between me and someone, and trying to redirect my sentiments and statements back "on course" by referencing the OP's situation even if it's ancient and irrelevant.

I really need to learn when to shut up and stop engaging sometimes...*sigh*...bad Spork!
*hits self on head with imaginary rolled-up newspaper*

Old 12-08-2017, 12:11 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,871,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I really need to learn when to shut up and stop engaging sometimes...*sigh*...bad Spork!
*hits self on head with imaginary rolled-up newspaper*
Well why do you feel like you have to shut up though?

I understand what you're saying, and I've been told not to engage before too, but that really doesn't mean anything to me.

I don't feel like it's my personal job to always take the high road, just because I "know better". Knowing better isn't a punishment or a handicap that excludes one from saying what they think and experiencing the pure joy of telling someone off. I take the high road 95% of the time in real life, at work, and with my SO.

I can think somebody's wrong in my head and not have to tell them. I can think somebody's being a complete idiot, I don't let them know. But I'm on this forum and nobody knows me. IF I feel like acting like an ass to somebody who's acting like an ass, then I can and if that makes me feel better so what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships