Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2023, 09:47 AM

19,429 posts, read 15,248,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Yes, that sounds about like the same treatment I would receive around here.

EDIT: I just realized that maybe I should point out that I was referring to someone famous, and it was political, so that's why I refrained. I wasn't trying to call out anyone here personally. lol
And by "around here," I meant by Chow here at home, not here on CD. (Maybe next time I'll just keep my mouth shut. lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
It was me. Mine is in the shop. I meant to leave a note!
Maintenance is very important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2023, 10:07 AM

20,393 posts, read 14,667,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
It was me. Mine is in the shop. I meant to leave a note!
I'm just trying to imagine what kind of witch rides around on a green and yellow plastic broom that cost a couple bucks at Walmart. Like does it complement the traffic cone she wears for a hat?

In other trivial tales of the apartment life...

A while back this older couple moved into a unit that faces ours in the building next door. Separated by a sidewalk and some common area landscaping but not a whole lot of space. I complemented one of her plant pots that was painted with beautiful colors and designs (she had about a bajillion plant pots she was putting everywhere) and she told me she'd lived at this apartment complex for 18 years! And they were, for the second time, moving her to a different unit so that they could renovate her old unit. She asked if she could put some of her potted plants over on my side of the sidewalk, on either side of the path that goes to my front door. I think I replied with, "sure, knock yourself out." I also made it pretty clear in our conversation that I don't really have skills at caring for plants and have killed most every one I've ever tried to keep.

Well. She put her plants all over the place, including on my side of the sidewalk. And since then, though I do see her out and about and moving around (so I know she is OK) she has neglected to actually care for them, and they've all shriveled up and died in the Phoenix heat. I'm pretty sure that I only consented to let her put her plants there, not to be held responsible for their care and maintenance.

And we are moving out in less than a month. I wonder if I ought to let the apartment office know that these pots are not mine and if they have a problem with the dead plants, they need to go talk to the lady across the way about it... Actually I should probably talk to the neighbor lady instead. I don't actually care one way or another, I just don't want the apartment management to think that the pots are my stuff I left behind.

Old 08-22-2023, 03:48 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Just got back from the store and it was a nightmare. Every checkout line had 10 deep. Not a grocery cart to be had.

I tried to call Mrs. Chow about 5 times, phone went right to voicemail. I haven't seen anything like it since the height of the pandemic. I was totally wigged out, didn't remember at first, but it was probably related to the hurricane coming.

By the time it gets to So cal in our area it shouldn't be anything more than a bunch of rain. I'm not sure why the run on the stores.
Speaking of storm panic, growing up on the coast of Virginia and dealing with hurricane more consistently, the main thing causing a run on the store panic isn’t the storm itself but power outage potential. For example, Duke Energy here in NC is absolutely awful at keeping the power on in optimal conditions. In fact, I’ve had more outages here in Charlotte on sunny days then days with adverse weather. The last big outage in Charlotte was the weekend before Christmas last year when we had an ice storm. I luckily had business in DC and left right before it hit Charlotte. I was gone for two days and the power was out during that whole time and only got back up a few hours before I came back. Virginia isn’t much better as far as power restoration.

Old 08-22-2023, 05:15 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
I wish someone would steal my iron…it’s practically brand new and hasn’t been used much.

Old 08-24-2023, 12:01 PM

20,393 posts, read 14,667,898 times
This morning I got an email from the leasing office at the apartment complex where I live, that someone tampered with and stole part of the water main outside of the wall of the community, that feeds the water supply for the whole complex. With this massive emergency leak needing repaired, they have to shut off our water temporarily.

WHO STEALS A PIECE OF WATER MAIN???

Is it the same jackalopes what stole my broom??

I swear I feel like the world has gone utterly mad.

Old 08-24-2023, 02:38 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
This morning I got an email from the leasing office at the apartment complex where I live, that someone tampered with and stole part of the water main outside of the wall of the community, that feeds the water supply for the whole complex. With this massive emergency leak needing repaired, they have to shut off our water temporarily.

WHO STEALS A PIECE OF WATER MAIN???

Is it the same jackalopes what stole my broom??

I swear I feel like the world has gone utterly mad.
THE HEAT probably gets to them.

Last week it was 110, even here in Oregon..

Old 08-31-2023, 08:43 AM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
I had mentioned a couple of weeks ago how a friend I grew up with passed away. Today is her birthday, which is kind of sad way to remember it now as she passed so close to her B day.

The thing that is just really weird is just now I was in a zoom training session and one of the trainers when it was her time speak, her icon with her face popped up. The pic looked almost exactly like my friend, I was really taken back by this.

I know that strange coincidences occur in life and of of that, but damn, this one really tripped me out for a minute.

I've had a few things like that the last few weeks, where I mention something sort of obscure to Mrs. Chow and then it pops up in a movie scene or some commercial or whatever.

I'm not going all hocus pocus here, just found it kind of odd.

Old 08-31-2023, 02:06 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I had mentioned a couple of weeks ago how a friend I grew up with passed away. Today is her birthday, which is kind of sad way to remember it now as she passed so close to her B day.

The thing that is just really weird is just now I was in a zoom training session and one of the trainers when it was her time speak, her icon with her face popped up. The pic looked almost exactly like my friend, I was really taken back by this.

I know that strange coincidences occur in life and of of that, but damn, this one really tripped me out for a minute.

I've had a few things like that the last few weeks, where I mention something sort of obscure to Mrs. Chow and then it pops up in a movie scene or some commercial or whatever.

I'm not going all hocus pocus here, just found it kind of odd.
When my father died my son was a kid and struggling, and my relationship with my father was fraught and so I wasn't sure how to handle my son, who only knew his grandpa had died. Then we found a dead robin in my parent's basement. We looked at the little creature for a minute and then my son suggested we bury it.

We wrapped the bird in a dish towel and put it in a shoe box and went out back and dug a hole. It was early December so the digging was tough, especially for my son who wanted to take his turn. When the hole was way deeper than it needed to be but just right in an 8 year old's eyes he put the box in the hole and I placed some leaves on top. My son asked "why" and I said "to soften the sound" when we toss the dirt on the box, something I had heard in a song once. "Can dead stuff hear" he asked. "Maybe", I responded. We buried the bird and as we patted the dirt flat I asked "I guess everything has to die, huh?" and he said "I guess". And we both felt better.

Now I don't believe in a ****ing thing, but that seemed like, I don't know, something. I still think about that bird.

Old 09-03-2023, 06:14 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
When my father died my son was a kid and struggling, and my relationship with my father was fraught and so I wasn't sure how to handle my son, who only knew his grandpa had died. Then we found a dead robin in my parent's basement. We looked at the little creature for a minute and then my son suggested we bury it.

We wrapped the bird in a dish towel and put it in a shoe box and went out back and dug a hole. It was early December so the digging was tough, especially for my son who wanted to take his turn. When the hole was way deeper than it needed to be but just right in an 8 year old's eyes he put the box in the hole and I placed some leaves on top. My son asked "why" and I said "to soften the sound" when we toss the dirt on the box, something I had heard in a song once. "Can dead stuff hear" he asked. "Maybe", I responded. We buried the bird and as we patted the dirt flat I asked "I guess everything has to die, huh?" and he said "I guess". And we both felt better.

Now I don't believe in a ****ing thing, but that seemed like, I don't know, something. I still think about that bird.
Quite a story. Touching how your son seemed to have a respect and reverence for life. We live and we die, it was understated, but perhaps best for a young child to cope with loss, his grandpa, your dad, and the bird too. I could give more information about the coincidence of the bird in this story, but I'll leave it.

The story you told awhile back about the dog and his owner stayed with me longer than I would have liked. I had nightmares about it.

Your story about the loss of your father, the bonding moment with your son deserves a better response than what I'm posting here.

I think CD is a craphole, but real life stories from real people like yourself is what makes it good here.

Old 09-06-2023, 08:42 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Kind of speaking of fathers, I have an article in my home I look at every single day I’m home that really sums up my late father and our relationship. I have the flag that draped his coffin at his funeral over a decade ago. The flag is contained inside of the plastic and cloth case that was sent from the funeral home with a picture of his funeral flyer on the plastic so I can see his face. I’ve never given much a thought into finding a proper frame for the flag. The case which is slightly showing it’s age after a few moves is kind of like my dad, imperfect.

He was a guy who wasn’t very into appearances. Didn’t pressure himself to be perfect solely for the comfort of others. He made his mistakes but did the best he knew how with what he was given. The flag reminds me everyday that it is what is inside of a man that counts and you don’t have to have it all figured out on the outside to be valuable. I had the opportunity to visit his grave for the first time. Even in death, he was not perfect in appearance. There is a vine growing right above his nameplate and some sweeping was required. But I feel that was a message to me, when you know your value on the inside, the outside can’t change who you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships